Where do we stand on Cup-o-Noodles

Options
I'm all about Maruchan's Instant Lunch lately. It's the perfect Mon.-Fri. work food and you can literally buy a week's worth of lunch for 2 bucks.

I've been eating this stuff for lunch for about two weeks straight. What's the general consensus on MFP about this stuff? Bad, good.....

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Bad, too much sodium and not enough nutrients.
  • Rhaeven
    Rhaeven Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Bad, bad, bad.... its a little cup of nothing but sodium... Processed oily noodles and oily seasoning with tons of sodium!

sorry :(
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I crave these once in a while and have them around for a quick fix when running low on groceries and waiting to get paid to get more food. I like them (the chicken one) but it is very high in sodium so I try to balance it out by drinking a lot of water when I have one.
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    two thumbs down
    occasionally but not every day
  • atouchet
    atouchet Posts: 24
    Options
    Everyone hits me with the "TOO MUCH SODIUM, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" line. I just haven't noticed any negative effects for two weeks. I have been a little concerned about my sodium intake, but I drink a lot of water.

Paycheck comes in Friday though, so it'll be back to regularly scheduled lunches, hehe.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You mean "Crap-O-Noodles" lol? Seriously you are not doing yourself a favor by eating these. You are better off eating an apple. There is zero nutrition in this.
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Besides retaining water, why is sodium considered so bad?
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I stand far away:laugh:
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    Even if you aren't concerned about the sodium, the bottom line is that you can get alot more out of the calories if you eat something better. My suggestion is to cook up some rice and beans with some onion and tomato (and jalapeno if you like spicy). Dry rice and beans are some of the most inexpensive foods you can buy (probably 3 bucks for a big bag of rice and a big bag of pinto or black beans). You can cook it up at home pretty easily and just portion it into containers for work.
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I can't have those as meals.... maybe because like everyone else is saying there's no nutrients, they only keep me full for about an hour. Then I'm just as hungry as I was before I ate the noodles. But they can be tasty when I'm in the mood for them! hehe

They do have a lot of sodium which bums me out, I guess it's not too bad if you keep the rest of the day pretty low or drink crap loads of water.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Too much can cause high BP, heart disease etc., water retention (which you mentioned) which in turn can cause weight gain or slower weight loss.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options

Too much sodium is one of the leading cause of high blood pressure. and high blood pressure can lead to heart disease, stroke, kidney disease, and congestive heart failure. Basically, your kidneys excrete the excess sodium you eat in your urine. but, if your kidneys can't eliminate the sodium fast enough, the sodium starts to accumulate in your blood. And since sodium attracts water, your blood volume increases. Increased blood volume makes your heart work harder to move more blood through your blood vessels, which increases pressure in your arteries.

According to the 2005 Diety Guidelines for Americans, they suggested that the average healthy adult doesn't exceed 2,300 mg of sodium. If you have high blood pressure, diabetes, kidney disease or are over middle-aged, they recommend not to exceed 1,500 mg of sodium.
    Source: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/NU00284

So, in conclusion...any processed foods that have a ton of sodium just aren't worth it. I would recommend sticking to natural foods (avoiding frozen dinners, canned dinners, boxed meals, etc). Cup-o-Noodles are not worth it, considering the calorie value and the lack of nutrients. You could eat a nice lunch (mine are usually leftovers) of grilled 3 oz chicken breast, vegetables, and even some brown rice for a whole lot better caloric and nutrient value. Or even a healthy sandwich or salad for lunch.
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options

Looks like kicklikeaGIRL beat me to it. ;)
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options

Looks like kicklikeaGIRL beat me to it. ;)

great minds think alike!

Also, I was going to say on a personal note..... out of all the side effects of a high-sodium diet, the least of my worries is the retention of water. I can live with that....but I can't live very long without a properly working heart. Just some personal thoughts on the matter :)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You COULD healthify them but then it defeats the purpose of the convenience of Cup-o-noodles. Leave off the seasoning to beat the sodium, add some fresh veggies and a protein and you could have yourself a balanced meal... but then, like I said, it defeats the purpose of convenience so you could just use regular noodles and make the same meal. *shrug*
  • mocosa74
    mocosa74 Posts: 42
    Options
    It really is not a good choice, but if that is all you got...I would try and add some frozen vegetables??? This will not only up the nutritional value (if only by a little), but it will expand the amount, so you can probably eat half the cup...!