Maintaining Through The Autumn Season

Options
Hello everyone!!
It's that time of the year again 🎃🍁
Comfy sweaters, harry potter, shopping, and crisp rainy mornings – all the reasons autumn is my favorite season! However, its also accompanied by many delicious treats that make it hard to stay on track. I've just recently reached goal weight, and it's very important to me that I don’t gain the weight back, but still get to enjoy my favorite comforts.
Here are some helpful tips to surviving the halloween season without any spooky weight gain:
1. Starbucks – If youre like me, you LOVE pumpkin spice! And no one does it better than starbucks, but those 400+ cal counts can ruin your day as soon as it starts. Instead, order your drinks with nonfat or coconut milk. (grande nonfat psl = 330cals) And for frappucinos, ordering without whipped cream saves 110cals on grande/venti sizes!
2. Portion control – we all love halloween candy, and just because youre maintaining doesn’t mean you cant still enjoy some… with caution ;) Try counting and calculating an amount for yourself before you start eating. Remember theres other sweet treats besides pure candy (Halloween oreos, 70cals per cookie)
3. Bake smarter – Autumn baking us one of my favorite activities, and with some devoted research I've found some crafty ways of cutting cals from pastries, including: I Cant Believe Its Not Butter Light is the lowest cal butter I've found, at 40cals a tablespoon. Truvia is the lowest brown sugar, at 60cals a tablespoon, and lastly using white whole wheat rather than all-purpose flour. (around 50% cal difference).
4. Cold weather comfort – Lastly, one of the most difficult aspects of autumn is the colder, sleepier weather, and with the school year starting again, it can be hard to not come home and eat some hot comforting casserole when youre too tired and hungry for anything else. However, there are low-cal alternatives for these days too. Dinty moore and Hormel completes dinners are super yummy and cheap (200cals per dinner).
Hope you guys find these helpful! Don't forget to avoid restaurants and cafes that don’t have their calorie counts on menus or online, and making treats at home is the best way to know what you're actually eating. Have a great autumn everyone❤❤ -xoxoMissAna

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    With tracking and discipline, I am hoping it won't be that much different. The two big things I worry about are the lack of variety in fruit, which has a fair mount of sugar but isn't as calorie dense as most treats, and the loss of so much stand up paddling as one of my primary exercises. Through the spring and summer, I have been paddling twice a week most weeks, several miles at a time. I often burn 1000+ calories on a single outing. I don't worry too much about falling off the wagon; I worry about ending up hangry in the evenings because I used up too much of my daily allowance on the warm pumpkin bread someone brought into the office...
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Fall isn't really an issue for me, but Christmas-time is terrible. Every day at work the table in the kitchen is covered in sweets and other snacks. Ugh. Life is hard :p
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Fall isn't really an issue for me, but Christmas-time is terrible. Every day at work the table in the kitchen is covered in sweets and other snacks. Ugh. Life is hard :p

For that one I like the tip - "It isn't what you eat between Christmas and New Years that causes weight problems; it's what you eat between New Year's and Christmas." The only trouble with that is that a lot of the treats start showing up around Thanksgiving and don't disappear until a few days after new Year's. It keeps coming back to discipline.

Exactly, it's an entire month and a half or so! I gained about 5 lbs last year during that time. lol. This year will be better
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Harry Potter because of Halloween or because you’re going back to Hogwarts on September 1st? I’m still waiting for my owl. 😢

Going to Harry Potter world in Oct. I will see about your owl! Lol
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I'm SO glad the summer heat(100+) is heading out!! Fall isn't really a problem for me, I don't eat candy & sometime get iced coffee with soy & sugar free vanilla. I love to cook & bake . Looking forward to using my oven again & making stews & soups & casseroles. Thank you for sharing
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great reminders and suggestions!!!!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    We have trick or treaters but never know how many will appear. Some years 25+ some years 2. I buy chocolate that I like in snack sizes, so after Halloween I can have a small piece when I really want something sweet. Our leftover chocolate will usually last us about 3 months.

I can't imagine eating only 200 calories for dinner. That's a snack, not a meal.
  • jrochest
    jrochest Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm still going on the losing -- 20 pounds left to go, so I won't be done until the spring -- but my solution to Halloween candy is to give out small cheap novelties and toys instead. Glow bracelets, bubble blowing stuff, whistles, balloons, slime, plastic jewelry, rubber ducks and such -- they keep from year to year, you can buy them from Oriental Trading and you'll NEVER eat them :smile: