Serving Said!

Options
I generally weigh or measure everything before I eat it and always log. My saying is if I can’t measure it and log it I can’t eat it.

I do shy away from weighing prepackaged foods, such as protein cookies, bars or halo top ice cream. I know from what many have posted and my own observations that a pint of Halo Top is no always a pint or a 30 gram serving of a cookie rarely comes out exact from the package.

The one exception is My wife always cooks a family meal on Friday nights. She often makes stuffed mushrooms from the market. I usually interrogate her to get the exact ingredients and generally consider one stuffed mushroom as a serving. Well it’s obvious there are big ones, small ones and the ones right in the middle. When I was heavier and less healthy I would always go for the biggest stuffed mushroom.

I the biggest slice of pizza, the biggest cake, no matter what it was I would go for the biggest. Now that I am healthier I tend to go for the smallest, unless it is so small it doesn’t exist. The smallest piece of pie or brownie bite or whatever it is.

And if I am at home and it isn’t a one serving package I measure it.

What size do you choose and do you measure it?

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    In order for a pack to hold the given size/amount, manufacturers have to add a little more within in a percentage to ensure you are not short changed. Its as well to weigh all "predesignated" portions sizes, where stated to be on the safe side. Well done on changing your mindset to smaller portions. next up economy, smaller portions all round, friendly giggle.

(Home cooking is the only way to be sure what you are receiving.)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Most of the time I prelog my food and just take the amount I logged. I would choose a serving size that fit my goals I guess.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    In order for a pack to hold the given size/amount, manufacturers have to add a little more within in a percentage to ensure you are not short changed. Its as well to weigh all "predesignated" portions sizes, where stated to be on the safe side. Well done on changing your mindset to smaller portions. next up economy, smaller portions all round, friendly giggle.

(Home cooking is the only way to be sure what you are receiving.)

that may be the case for many things but quest bars are one that often fall under the amount they should be. the cookies and cream ones often are less than the 60g they are supposed to be. but all the other flavors seem to be a good bit over. dont know why that is.I have contacted them about this too.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything, even if its supposed to be a serving I still weigh it and do the math. I dont care if its one serving or many servings it all gets weighed. unless its takeout of fastfood then I will use the info on the companies website to make sure its accurate with the MFP entry.even if I chose the smaller piece it still gets weighed.