Struggle with cardio - will it get better over time?

Options
My cardio health is severely lacking in my opinion. I can't run a quarter mile without stopping to catch my breath. I work out, lift heavy, take circuit classes, some cross fit style classes, but I always struggle with the cardio. Is this something everyone can improve on? Or are some people just not built for cardio?
Looking to hear from people who struggled at the beginning and wondering how long it took to see improvement. I'm not looking to run a marathon, but I'd love to be able to run a mile without stopping.
45yo F 5'8" 190 lbs No health issues. FYI

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Can you walk a couple of miles at a fast pace? If yes, add small intervals of running (slowly), like walk 3 mins, jog 1 min and gradually increase the running. If not, start walking :) As you lose weight and get closer to a healthy BMI, this will help too.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    It takes time and consistency to improve. One major problem people have when they start running is they try to run too fast for their fitness level. Then they can't breathe, so they get discouraged. If you start by jogging as slowly as you can, not much faster than a walk, you will probably find that you can go farther without needing to stop to catch your breath. C25k is a good program for many, or you can do as LKArgh suggests and just incorporate short running intervals into your walks. I used to go from one telephone pole to the next, then I'd run two poles, then three. That was mostly just for fun. When I decided I wanted to really learn to run, I started C25k, went on to 10k, then half marathon, then marathon. But that only worked because I decided it was important enough to really put the time and effort into it.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Personally I think running is just plain hard. I thought I had pretty "ok" cardio fitness but when I tried to run I was like OMG this sucks I'm going to die. But it gets easier, yes. The trick is to build up to it and go really slow at first.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Unless your goal is, and you want to, running is not needed for cardio.

Just saying because it is not my forte, so choose to walk (fast), row, swim, dance, ride a bike, instead-anything but run.

Otherwise, I agree with those upthread. Do a C25k style programme.

Cheers, h.
    ETA: yes, any will improve with time.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I recommend C25k, I never thought I'd be able to run 5km without stopping!

The program is great and eases you into it so you don't get discouraged. Plus its only 3 times a week!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    jayemes wrote: »
    ...I can't run a quarter mile without stopping to catch my breath. I work out, lift heavy, take circuit classes, some cross fit style classes, but I always struggle with the cardio. Is this something everyone can improve on? Or are some people just not built for cardio?
    Looking to hear from people who struggled at the beginning and wondering how long it took to see improvement. I'm not looking to run a marathon, but I'd love to be able to run a mile without stopping...

Just one more point - as the saying goes, "comparison is the thief of joy". Don't worry about or be discouraged by what other people are doing, how fast/far they run compared to you - none of that matters unless one's goal is competition. If your goal is to run a mile in x minutes, you do you. Never mind that other people are shooting for a sub 2:30 marathon or a sub 20:00 5K or whatever. Each one of us is running our own race.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    The first time I tried to run, I made it a few blocks before my heart wanted to explode. Wasn't that long until I ran 10k without stopping.

I don't run much lately. I prefer riding a bike, and skiing in the winter.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Try a program like C25K. Given your current workout routine, you should be able to go from 0 to 1 mile within the 8 weeks of the program. You're probably not far from that now, if you would run slower.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

Just saying because it is not my forte, so choose to walk (fast), row, swim, dance, ride a bike, instead-anything but run.

Cheers, h.

Ya, I haven't run since I left the military and no one could make me run anymore :lol:

With swimming, I only fresh water swim, and that season is just a few months, so I start off slow in June and by September have made tremendous improvement.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I love to run. But it wasn't always like this. My parents were runners and I wanted to be able to go out with them. The first time I tried to actually go for a run, I lasted about a block. And then I walked, and then ran again. And then walked etc etc. It took me about a month of going at least 3 days a week to be able to run 2 miles without stopping.

Some things that helped
    pacing- my dad would set the pace so I couldn't start off too fast. You can use MapMyRun and it will track how fast you're running a mile. Go slow. Build your endurance and then your speed.
    shoes- get good shoes. The day I told my dad I wanted to run, we went to the running store and I was fitted for proper shoes.
    consistency- you have to commit to going regularly. I started at 3 days a week.
    suck it up- the first 2 miles are usually the worst part of a run. It takes your body some time to get into the groove. Your chest will burn, your legs will hurt, your feet might cramp. It's nothing serious, just keep running and the pain will subside as you get stronger.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Yes you will get better over time.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Cheers, h.

Ya, I haven't run since I left the military and no one could make me run anymore :lol:

With swimming, I only fresh water swim, and that season is just a few months, so I start off slow in June and by September have made tremendous improvement.

I swore off running after the military, too! It was something I had to do, not something I wanted to do. Then about 15 years after getting out I went for a jog. It was my pace, my distance, my route, my terms and I liked it! I've been running off and on now for 10 years.

OP, it does get easier, but you don't *need* to run. Run because you want to and if you don't, you can find a different activity that suits you better.

One thing with running is slower is better for endurance. It seems counter-intuitive, but going very slow will help you run longer distances and for a longer time.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I went from loathing cardio to occasionally miss it when I don't do it. I don't love it, but I tolerate it and occasionally enjoy it now. I do almost exclusively intervals because I am short on time. Took about 5 months for the change.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Take your time and be patient. You'll get there. I like alternating run/walk intervals. They'll help you
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    jayemes wrote: »
    but I'd love to be able to run a mile without stopping.

Slow down.