Measuring Chicken

Options

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    serving-size-cheat-sheet.jpg

Okay, that thing could be way off. I can hold in my hand about 1/3 to 1/4 of what my husband can hold in his hand. He would be eating 4 servings thinking it was one serving by this chart.

The one for meat had nothing to do with hands.... yeah.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    ...he was running from the lady with the measuring tape. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIyR3JCDY1Ck-gvSgEYvzvMycFEIrqXvEhqp3600zz0IqcZK3B1w
  • britzzie
    britzzie Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    When I type "chicken thigh" into the search, an option with a 1 cup measurement is right at the top. And it is MORE than 4oz.

Does it matter that it's shredded and not diced? I can't tell if "meat only" implies no skin, either!

Well...the grilled, no skin entry says 120g is 140 calories, whereas the Chicken Thigh - Grilled W/ Bbq W/out Skin, No Bones says 120g 351, so I bet that one includes skin? Just a guess.

ETA: But the grilled one probably includes bone in the weight, so I don't freakin know.

You should probably just by a food scale......

Sorry....couldn't resist! :laugh:
  • mforsis
    mforsis Posts: 41
    Options
    portion size web site gives visuals - chicken breast 3 oz looks about the size of a deck of cards

http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool-portion-size-plate
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Hi I am having chicken thighs tonight. Found one entry on MFP that said 3 thighs = 146 cals. so going with that!

:noway: chicken thighs, even with no skin, are about a hundred calories each.

You can lie to your log, but your body won't be fooled. :ohwell:
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    ...he was running from the lady with the measuring tape. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIyR3JCDY1Ck-gvSgEYvzvMycFEIrqXvEhqp3600zz0IqcZK3B1w

that is just wrong, in the funniest way possible
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    414 calories in one thigh with skin. 236 calories each without skin.

There are 4140 calories in your pot of chicken (414 x 10 thighs = 4140 with skin) OR 2360 calories (236 x 10 if without skin). Without a scale, you're screwed ($6.00 at Walmart), but if you want an approximation, divide your cooked chicken into 10 equal portions and you'll know how many calories you have...again...approximately.

Nutrition Facts

Chicken, thigh

Amount Per 1 thigh with skin (189 g)

Calories 414

% Daily Value*

Total fat 31 g 47%
    Saturated fat 8 g 40%
    Polyunsaturated fat 7 g
    Monounsaturated fat 13 g
    Trans fat 0.2 g
    Cholesterol 185 mg 61%
    Sodium 146 mg 6%
    Potassium 387 mg 11%
    Total Carbohydrate 0.5 g 0%
    Dietary fiber 0 g 0%
    Sugar 0 g
    Protein 31 g 62%

Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 1% Iron 7%
    Vitamin B-6 30% Vitamin B-12 20%
    Magnesium 9%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    1 cup = 8 oz, not 4 or 5. But the best option (before you get a scale) would be to look up the calories in thigh meat (I'm sure there are options for the meat, no bone), figure that out for 10 thighs, add in however much BBQ sauce and onions you used, then divide that by however much you are eating (ie - 1/4 the entire recipe or whatever)
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    It's good that you have a scale coming, it's really the best way to do all this.
    Did your package of chicken thighs have a weight posted on it? Use that or estimate from the database (use the MFP entry or one at the higher end of the calorie counts) to make a recipe in the recipe builder. Portion out servings of about the size you want to eat, like a 1 cup measure. Count how many servings you can measure out with that cup. Maybe it's 8 or 10 or 15 - that's how many servings you put into the recipe builder. Use the same cup to dish out portions or keep them in individual serving sizes.
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

I only wish they were 100 calories! You might want to check your numbers.
  • narikta
    narikta Posts: 9
    Options
    As above, there should be chicken thigh meat by cup measure when you do a search.

If it helps at all with "eyeballing" and conversion, I have found that in my small-ish hand, a palm sized, flat piece of chicken breast is usually about 4oz or about 1/2 cup. This make it an approximately 2.5" x 2.5" x 0.5" piece of chicken breast. Maybe that same principle could be carried over to determine size?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    1 cup = 8 oz, not 4 or 5. But the best option (before you get a scale) would be to look up the calories in thigh meat (I'm sure there are options for the meat, no bone), figure that out for 10 thighs, add in however much BBQ sauce and onions you used, then divide that by however much you are eating (ie - 1/4 the entire recipe or whatever)

But that's 8 fluid ounces. Solids are different.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I only wish they were 100 calories! You might want to check your numbers.

Yeah a lot of the database entries are user entered and incorrect.

Look for the ones with no asterisk.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options

? I know, but she doesn't have a scale and I am correcting what she said before.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

? I know, but she doesn't have a scale and I am correcting what she said before.

Just clarifying for anyone who doesn't know.

I thought half a cup of ice cream was 4 oz when I started, for example.
  • mlauster
    mlauster Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've got a scale coming in the mail via Amazon next week. I just need something to figure this out until then.
    lmfao you're going to get deluged with "buy a scale", and all you want is an alternative while you wait.

I was just thinking the same thing...poor girl.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    OP you should really buy a scale.

:flowerforyou:
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Hi I am having chicken thighs tonight. Found one entry on MFP that said 3 thighs = 146 cals. so going with that!

oh bother!
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options

fluid ounces, a cup, are not the same as other ounces like solids, meats, etc. it's not the same
  • timesinfinityplus2
    timesinfinityplus2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You people are not helpful.

You have a "regular" scale to weigh yourself, right? Stand on it and get your weight, then get off and grab that chicken and get back on. Do math, Bob's your uncle, problem solved.