Any healthy takes on comfort food?

Options
Mike9294
Mike9294 Posts: 87 Member
Does anyone have recipes for healthy versions of comfort food?

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If it's comfortable food, weigh your portions and account for the calories accurately.
    If it's healthy food, weigh your portions and account for the calories accurately.

There's some doubt in my mind that comfort food is also your idea of healthy.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I just cook and don't use recipes so I can't give specifics. Im also not sure how you define healthy. In general, you can make some substitutions to reduce calories and fat:

Fat free cream cheese or Greek yogurt for creamy dishes and sauces

Apple sauce for half the oil in baked goods

Sugar substitute (splenda, stevia, etc...) or fruit for sugar or syrup

Use leaner cuts of meat or sub part or all with mushrooms or beans in chili and casseroles
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    'loaded' baked sweet or regular potato - Greek yogurt - lots of roasted veggies and spices of choice
  • donnampp
    donnampp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There is a Saturday morning show where chefs compete to remake food. The dietary facts are listed for each recipe and they post them on line. I hope this helps. I know it has made me think.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    donnampp wrote: »
    There is a Saturday morning show where chefs compete to remake food. The dietary facts are listed for each recipe and they post them on line. I hope this helps. I know it has made me think.

Rocco DeSpirito also comes to mind...here are some of his recipes:
    https://www.doctoroz.com/recipe-collection/rocco-dispiritos-recipes
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Oh yes. Last night I made this and it was divine. Smelled incredible too!
    makes 6 servings, mina has 230 calories, side has 190 calories

Rustic Country Beef Stew with parmesan garlic egg noodles:
    1 1/2lb lean beef chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2 in chunks
    2 large green bell peppers, coarsely chopped
    1 1/2 cups chopped red onion
    2 cups frozen sliced carrots
    1 can (14.5 oz) no salt added stewed tomatoes
    12 oz. reduced sodium chicken broth (or can you 12 oz can of light beer)
    5 tbsp. tomato paste
    2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
    2 dried by leaves
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
    combine all ingredients into slow cooker except parsley and cook 9-10 hours until beef is tender, stir in parsley

9 oz yold free egg noodles
    3 tbsp. light butter with canola oil
    1 glove garlic, minced
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
    cook noodles according to package, toss with butter, garlic and salt and sprinkle each serving evenly with cheese
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com and cookinglight.com have lots of great recipes for "healthier" versions of indulgent dishes

• hikinggal11
    hikinggal11 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Steel-cut oatmeal with dried dates, figs, and walnuts, with a splash of milk to thin it out a bit....to die for!
  • VictorSmashes
    VictorSmashes Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    This is more a general idea but I have been taking "comfort foods" (like pancakes.... Are pancakes considered comfort foods??) and substituting ingredients for more nutrition dense options. Not always less calories though.

I'm looking at the packaging for these btw. If I have the name of the brand it's listed.

For my pancakes I had today: Light and fit Greek yogurt (Dannon) instead of fat free milk (Lucerne)-- in the yogurt there's more protein, more potassium, less sugars, less sodium, etc. Rolled oats instead of all-purpose flour-- in the oats there's less calories, less carbs, more fat, more potassium, etc.

It's really how you roll the dice. Consider your macros, your micros, your overall calorie wants/needs. Plus, like @hesn92 said, it's about what you consider comfort foods. If you naturally like fattier foods, opt for ones that are not fried, but instead baked. If you like sugary foods, look for natural sugars, sugar substitutes, and other sweet things.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I think of chili as comfort food (especially when topped with an ounce of shredded cheddar), and it's the right time of year for chili. While I'd say most all chili recipes are "healthy", here's one I've used before:
    Pumpkin, chickpea, and black bean chili
    - 15 ounce can pumpkin purée
    - 29 ounce can tomato sauce (although next time I make this I'm going to 1/2 the tomato sauce and use a can of red enchilada sauce with it)
    - 29 ounces water
    - 1-2 packets taco seasoning, depending on how spicy you want it to be
    - 1 bag frozen corn
    - 1 can black beans (undrained)
    - 1 can chickpeas (drained)
    - Juice from 2 limes

I put this in the crockpot in the morning and it's ready to eat when I get home from work.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Mike9294 wrote: »

I have always thought of stews as comfort food. One thing I like to do to lower the total carb count is use turnips instead of potatoes in stews. I make them in the crockpot so they don't fall apart like potatoes do too.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    sarjenki wrote: »
    I think of chili as comfort food (especially when topped with an ounce of shredded cheddar), and it's the right time of year for chili. While I'd say most all chili recipes are "healthy", here's one I've used before:
    Pumpkin, chickpea, and black bean chili
    - 15 ounce can pumpkin purée
    - 29 ounce can tomato sauce (although next time I make this I'm going to 1/2 the tomato sauce and use a can of red enchilada sauce with it)
    - 29 ounces water
    - 1-2 packets taco seasoning, depending on how spicy you want it to be
    - 1 bag frozen corn
    - 1 can black beans (undrained)
    - 1 can chickpeas (drained)
    - Juice from 2 limes

I put this in the crockpot in the morning and it's ready to eat when I get home from work.

Taco seasoning has a lot of salt so if anyone wants to do a lower sodium version of this just drain and rinse the black beans (or cook and freeze them. A 2 lb bag makes 8 2 cup servings. 2 cups is equal to 1 can) and use this homemade taco seasoning:

Equivalent of one packet of taco seasoning:

1 tbsp Chili powder
    2 tsp Onion powder
    1 tsp Ground Cumin
    1 tsp Garlic powder
    1 tsp Paprika
    1 tsp Oregano

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Mike9294 wrote: »

Mine is prepared in a can so it is simple. My go to is tuna in olive oil.
  • lizchristine
    lizchristine Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Roasted kale chips are pretty yummy! Spread out chopped kale on a sheet pan — I line the pan with parchment paper so the chips don’t stick and for easy clean up. Toss the kale with a little olive oil & whatever seasonings you like and roast at 350 for 7-10 minutes. (They cook fast so keep an eye on them). I like my kale chips with creole seasoning.
  • MADgical72
    MADgical72 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I make chicken parmigiana with grilled boneless breasts that have been marinated in Italian dressing. After grilling I cut them horizontally, so they’re thinner, put a slice of mozzarella or provolone cheese on each piece and top with homemade marinara sauce. Bake in oven at 350 until cheese melts.
  • Eddies263
    Eddies263 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cook This Not That has a bunch of lower calorie option to replace popular "comfort foods."