25 lbs down but don’t feel “that” different

Options
Hello all- I am pretty satisfied with having lost 25 lbs in the past 2 months (mainly from doing IF and exersize). I absolutely do see and feel some changes (clothes fit looser, more energy, etc). But it’s not like a drastic feeling. Now I do have more to lose (started 290 now at 265)

With that said anyone a male who started around my size that can speak for when it felt much different? I understand this takes patients and I’m doing the right things but just want to hear others for some motivation to keep it going.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You won't feel "that" different if you're still overweight. You will even feel much of the same at goal weight.
  • dechowj
    dechowj Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    If I'm constantly analyzing myself every minute, I don't really feel that different either. But there are random moments when I suddenly realize a huge difference. Like not being out of breath just walking out to my car to drive to work. Or being able to actually see my toes. Or fitting into pants that I haven't been able to wear in years!!!!! The more weight I'm losing the more I have little "oh my" moments.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost nearly 40 and I don’t feel that different. I’m a short woman though. I’m not sure it’s something you feel, you just look at numbers (weight, measurements, exercise ability, clothing size) and then it’s something you are. Looking at those things can make you feel proud and happy. But it’s not going to be always in the front of your mind I don’t think.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    dechowj wrote: »
    If I'm constantly analyzing myself every minute, I don't really feel that different either. But there are random moments when I suddenly realize a huge difference. Like not being out of breath just walking out to my car to drive to work. Or being able to actually see my toes. Or fitting into pants that I haven't been able to wear in years!!!!! The more weight I'm losing the more I have little "oh my" moments.

I think it's all those little moments, too...

For me, it's being able to put my socks on without feeling like I am going to suffocate, lol! It's being able to comfortably cross my legs, and it's also being able to say "No" to food when I am not hungry, without causing myself anxiety.

Maybe in order to get "that" feeling, you should challenge yourself? Shoot for a personal best in an exercise that you struggle with; lift more, go further, be faster, etc...whatever that is! Maybe with a measureable result you will be able to feel more accomplished?
  • ladychris29
    ladychris29 Posts: 4,657 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Not a male, but... After being overweight for so long, weight becomes as emotional as it is physical. And as the weight loss occurs, the physical aspects change but the brain takes longer to release the emotions tied to the original gain.

I've lost over 80 lbs and saw myself in a store window last week while out with my son. First thing out of my mouth was, "Omg, I still look fat!" He immediately took me aside, told me to look at him and said, "Ma, you're not. But you were heavy for so long that you'll probably see yourself as that for a long time to come."

As a health and fitness writer, I know this. But living it is still hell. Keep going. Eventually, you'll see yourself as you really are.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I started for real 18.5 years ago weighing somewhere near 400 lb. Just by stumbling and experimenting I was able to get under 300 after a few years. My health had not been very bad at my greatest weight. I never had diabetes and my blood pressure was managed with the lowest dose of lisinopril, a very cheap drug. I did experience recurring back pain and injuries at my greatest weight, which did become less frequent and seem to have stopped happening now that I'm sort of near the healthy weight range. My blood pressure has dropped into the normal range now so I'm no longer on the lisinopril. For some reason, about a year ago, I lost sensation in a small region of my right heel. It hasn't spread or stopped me from doing anything, so I'm not going to seek any medical intervention for it.
  • prettyshambolic
    prettyshambolic Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't feel any different now at 128 than I did at 165 or even at 200.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I’ve lost 38.5 pounds and didn’t feel (or feel I looked) any different until I lost the latest 5 pounds.
    Even though my clothes were getting too big and my husband told me I was getting smaller, I couldn’t see it.
  • mhlew
    mhlew Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I guess the old saying is true that we are our own harshest critics.
  • sfsoccermom2
    sfsoccermom2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm also struggling with this. Just hit 26 pounds today, but still have a lot to lose. I am starting to feel it in my exercise, but not in clothes or mirror yet. Hang in there, we will see it one day. It's better than where we started. Keep up the great work!!!