Shin splints and foot pain when walking

carriej522
carriej522 Posts: 8 Member
edited August 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
I started walking nearly everyday a month ago. The past couple weeks I have been trying to improve my pace and have been getting bad shin pain and pain on the side of the other foot when halfway into my walks. Is there anyway to prevent this? I have been pushing myself to finish my walks and get my 2 miles + in. I gave myself the past 3 days off to see if it improved and tonight when I walked it was the same pain once again.

Replies

• Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    What kind of shoes are you wearing?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I second the shoes question, and do you stretch after walking?
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    With foot pain it may be the shoes, or you could also be one of the many of us who need orthotics. Also pushing through pain like that is a bad plan. Stretching & foam rolling can help. So can a day off where you do a different non-leg activity.

You CAN hurt yourself walking - am proof. I tore a calf muscle pushing myself to walk daily 30min from nothing, thinking it would be no big deal. Please take the soreness seriously and work on safety.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    1) get fitted for shoes at a local running store. they are also a wealth of information. they are expensive but they are cheaper than a doctor visit and pt
    2)stretch after.
    3) consider taking rest days or dialing back some of the walks to give your body time to recover.
    4) enjoy yourself :smile:
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    When you get fitted for shoes at a running store, make sure you specify that you are using them for walking.
    There is a difference in construction. A good walking shoe will have the heal rolled up so the foot will land then roll forward.

Also, if you are trying to up your speed, follow something like the C25k programme that is used for running, it can be used for walking too.

Finally, if you are wanting to speed up, shorten your stride. It should help with the shin splints and foot ache too, once you have good footwear.

Cheers, h.