Tough Mudder

Options
So I am running the Tough Mudder in 2 days. I have been on a training regimen and have been sticking to it! From the previous TM's that I have ran, it seems like the Artic Enema is the only obstacle that fatigues me to the point were I have to stop. Regardless of where this obstacle is put in the race, after Artic Enema it feels like im running on quater of a tank. Does this happen to anyone else or is it just me? Just curious! Thanks:glasses:

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I was the exact opposite; I loved this obstacle. I did mine in FL and it was hot so I was able to warm up pretty quick after. It was only our second obstacle so it was out of the way fast. I am more concerned about my next Mid-Atlantic one in October since it will probably be a bit cooler.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    WTF is an arctic enema?
  • Brown523
    Brown523 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am going (VT) this weekend but I am not doing it. I signed up but didn't find the training motivation! :( Next year!
  • micheleb15
    Options
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    haha, i was just doing that, same website and all!!! Mudders think alike!
  • ajaxe432
    Options
    I was the exact opposite; I loved this obstacle. I did mine in FL and it was hot so I was able to warm up pretty quick after. It was only our second obstacle so it was out of the way fast. I am more concerned about my next Mid-Atlantic one in October since it will probably be a bit cooler.
    Mid Atlantic? Tri-state? That is the last one I ran:)
  • ajaxe432
    Options
    I am going (VT) this weekend but I am not doing it. I signed up but didn't find the training motivation! :( Next year!
    At least you will get to see the sneak peak! Mt.Snow? Thats what I am running:)
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    The Arctic Enema wasn't bad for me either. I really think this one is way worse for guys than for girls. I hear it is pretty shocking in the Netherlands.
  • micheleb15
    Options
    Mid Atlantic? Tri-state? That is the last one I ran:)

The one I am doing is in West Virginia; closest to DC that I could find.
  • Jchambers1130
    Jchambers1130 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    And here I was thinking I was going to learn something new like the "Arctic Enema" lol
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options

I am freezing if the temp goes below 75 degrees. You could NEVER get me in that! Ah!
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I just did a TM a few weeks ago...IMO the arctic enema was the worst obstacle! Ours fell at about mile 8 and I was cramping which made it 10x worse. Too be honest though, for about 30 mins afterwards I felt better before the cramps settled back in
  • ajaxe432
    Options
    I just did a TM a few weeks ago...IMO the arctic enema was the worst obstacle! Ours fell at about mile 8 and I was cramping which made it 10x worse. Too be honest though, for about 30 mins afterwards I felt better before the cramps settled back in
    That is one of my fears!!! Having a leg cramp halfway through the enema, or when walking the plank. lol! Trying to stay hydrated and bought a camel back to ward that off....will see if it works!
  • micheleb15
    Options
    That is one of my fears!!! Having a leg cramp halfway through the enema, or when walking the plank. lol! Trying to stay hydrated and bought a camel back to ward that off....will see if it works!

I also had GU Gels or Hammer gels, I can't remember which, but those seemed to help. I took one every hour at the water station since it was so hot. I was stretching at every obstacle, but didn't have too many issues with bad cramping.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options

I also had GU Gels or Hammer gels, I can't remember which, but those seemed to help. I took one every hour at the water station since it was so hot. I was stretching at every obstacle, but didn't have too many issues with bad cramping.

I would just suggest really hydrating the day before and carb load a couple days leading up to the event. Also lots of mobility and stretching the week before. The Gu shots and bananas were only working for like 15 mins for me before the cramps would settle back in. The last 3.5 miles was pretty brutal. I am definitely going to train with more long distance runs before the TM next year that I already preregistered for!!
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    WTF is an arctic enema?

A deviant Siberian colonic. I bet it causes major shrinkage....