Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Relative fat mass (RFM) as a new estimator of whole-body fat percentage

Options
2»

Replies

• Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    My bmi was 33.2 (and climbing), top end of obese for my height. I also know I carry/carried a lot of my excess far around my middle.

Have successfully lost 52lb and maintaining my new healthy weight for the time being. Pleased, with the fact l now have a healthy bmi (if only just) of 24.4. Still have a larger tummy but pleased with my results. Uk size 22 down to size 14.

Worked out my RFM, was at 51, at my starting point.
    But my current RFM is still 42 which seems much higher, and still obese.

I realise I've still made great progress and gone a long way to improving my health. Was aware my tummy was still larger but happy to be finally at a healthy weight. Can't exercise and even if I could I can't spot target. I've lost 52lb, female and 50. Maintaining on a daily calorie intake of 1,620 calories. Feels like there is no alternative, while I was happy I'm feeling a little deflated with and feel I've not actually achieved my target after all.
  • dmcnur
    dmcnur Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If I use the above calculation I get a value of a about 28. At 58kg for 160cm tall which classifies me as not obese. My BMI comes out at 22.7 (healthy range) with a suggested weight range of 47.4 to 63.7kg.

While trolling the internet I found this calculation for RFM which is slightly different and cuts out 1 step of the calculation but as it is essentially the same, gives the same result.

MEN: 64 – (20 x height/waist circumference in meters) = RFM
    WOMEN: 76 – (20 x height/waist circumference in meters) = RFM

On a quick skim through the study did not seem to have anything on other ranges such as overweight rather than just obese. It would be interesting to know how accurate it is in other classifications.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    This wouldn't work for me. My arms and legs are disproportionately thin. My weight sits in the middle. This it would exaggerate the number.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    Agreed @middlehaitch I may still have a few vanity pounds to lose, but I hardly think I'm 31% body fat at 5'3" and 115-118 pounds!

Agree. At 100lbs (as of today) and at 4'10" with a BMI of 20.9 having a 29.6% fat is hard to phantom.