Ready to start maintaining?

inherentst0rm
inherentst0rm Posts: 84 Member
edited August 2018 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I feel like 180 pounds would be a good weight for me to be at, if I had muscle and not such a big gut.

I hit 180 at my last weigh in but I am still around 25% body fat, should I switch my calories to maintain mu current weight and just work harder to build more muscle, or continue to eat at a deficit?

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    How tall are you?
  • inherentst0rm
    Oh sorry for not including that, I am 5'9.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    I would eat at a deficit but continue to exercise
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member

That's a BMI of 26.6. I would go lower slowly with exercise to keep from losing much if any muscle. Probably to around 165 and the a small surplus and more intense exercise to build back to 170. But that's me; I am hung up on being below 25 because I am average build so it's accurate and it's inflexible (not like my own goal I can rationalize).
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member

That's a BMI of 26.6. I would go lower slowly with exercise to keep from losing much if any muscle. Probably to around 165 and the a small surplus and more intense exercise to build back to 170. But that's me; I am hung up on being below 25 because I am average build so it's accurate and it's inflexible (not like my own goal I can rationalize).

I agree with Carvedtones' advice here. You're certainly not alone in reaching a scale goal and still not being happy with the results in the mirror. Scale weight at different body compositions will look very different. There are some studies that show building muscle is done most optimally (higher muscle:fat gain ratio) when starting from a leaner body fat percentage; hence the typical bodybuilding-style advice of cut to ~10-12% body fat and bulk to ~15%. Personally, I think you'd be best served to detach your goals from scale weight and focus on what you want to see in the mirror. By all means, tracking weight can be a good metric to follow, but not the most important one.

Here's a link to a piece written by Lyle McDonald that digs into the science a little more. https://bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/initial-body-fat-and-body-composition-changes.html/
  • inherentst0rm
    Thanks guys, I decided to stick to losing a bit longer, so we will see how it goes