Best bang for your buck on meats

Options
2»

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Options
    It's Labor Day weekend right now in the US, which often mean big sales on meats for grilling & picnics. Most major US holidays are accompanied by sales on the meats expected to be consumed (e.g., Thanksgiving - turkey; Easter -ham; Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor day - steaks, burgers/ground beef, chicken; etc.)

Around the "BBQ holidays" (summer-ish holidays), there are also often big sales on baby back/spare ribs. I've still got 4 racks of baby backs in the freezer from a great 4th of July sale - which may be going in the smoker this weekend.
  • jeffjeff85
    jeffjeff85 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I can get uncut pork loin slabs for $2/# and chicken breasts for 99 cents/#. Both are excellent high protein/low fat meat sources.

Exactly this - both very high protein, not high calorie.
    I also like shrimp- nearly pure protein. At $10/lb it sounds pricey, but toss 1/2 lb in some rotini pasta (nearly free) and throw in half a barrel of garlic cloves (also nearly free) and me and the boys all eat well (4 people eat for $10).
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Costco if you have one near by. 4LBS ground turkey 19 bucks, eye round steak 7lbs 30 bucks. Big box of boneless skinless chicken breasts 20 bucks. These are all I buy and find them great prices, so I don't know what the other cuts are but assume they would be great as well
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Define bulk.

There's a local butcher that sells true bulk. You basically pay for the calf, tell them when you want it slaughtered (6 months taste better, but you get less, 1 yr old is the norm) then butchered. In the end you end up paying an average of about $2.50/lb of beef. You can also add in some chickens, which come out to about $1.00/lb. Now this doesn't require a fairly large freezer, but it's a lot cheaper in the long run.

Now just buying the larger supermarket packages, just buy on sale. Particularly at stores like Costco's or Sam's club.