Apple & blackberries - ideas please! :)

Options
firlena227
firlena227 Posts: 86 Member
Hi all, I've been given a huge bag of cooking apples, & also picked a load of blackberries... last year I made apple pies & apple & blackberry jam but not really feeling so inspired with those at the moment, anyone have any other ideas?
Preferably using standard store cupboard ingredients, & I'm not fussed about how many calories are in it (that's not to say BRING ON THE SUGAR & BUTTER!! But I mean it doesnt have to be a low cal option :)
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Blackberry cobbler is one of my favorites. You can sub some splenda or canola oil butter but I like it just the way it is, just eat smaller portions.
    Apple tarts, apple sauce, apple butter, roasted apples then freeze and reheat, apple sticks to go with peanut butter, apple jam
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Crisps and crumbles and cobblers! (I'm making myself so hungry.)

I love baked apples. My Mom used to stuff the middle with nuts, raisins and maple syrup; so good!

Also, a knock-off of the Boston Market apples.
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    either or both make a great smoothie
    they make great cobblers
    make into BBQ sauce
    make an apple / blackberry crumble with oatmeal & nuts topping
    make easy freezer jam
    apple or blackberry pancakes or waffles
    use in salads
    homemade fruit rollups
    use to make salsa
    mash, add other ingredients, make glaze to use on favorite meats
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,624 Member
    Options
    This is a clafoutis recipe I like because it is not too rich and not too sweet. It calls for cherries but you can substitute any fruit. Though it only bakes for 30 minutes at 180C so you might need to poach the cooking apples in some fruit juice first. Makes a nice brunch dish too.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2013/aug/29/how-to-cook-perfect-cherry-clafoutis
  • firlena227
    firlena227 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas :) mmmm the clafoutis sounds good, think I'll be trying that one! Also pancakes & crumbles... I usually do a lot of cooking but not so much on the dessert side of things... the mention of apple butter has reminded me i might even have some stashed in the freezer from last year when i did a whole big slow cooker batch of it... I bagged up & froze it in portions & came home one night to find my partner had defrosted a portion to put on his pasta thinking it was spaghetti sauce! Oops!
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    If you have extra blackberries wash them, drain them well. then spread out on a cookie sheet and freeze them. When they are frozen, pack them in a freezer bag and enjoy them later with cereal. yogurt or make your own smoothies! I always do this when they have strawberries amd other berries on sale, or when I have a large crop of my own.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    To add on to the reply about freezing blackberries, frozen blackberries also bake really well from frozen. Another idea would be canning them. There were a few years where I canned marionberry (which I prefer to blackberries) pie filling which was lovely because I could easily make a pie crust, dump a jar of filling in, and bake it off in the dead of not marionberry season.