Refeeding anecdotes?

Options
I’ve read about refeeding and will be incorporating them in my weight loss plan, but I’m curious to hear how others approach it. If you refeed, how frequently do you do it and how far in advance do you plan it?

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I'm on my phone right now and don't know how to post links. Search for a thread called "Of refeeds and Diet Breaks". It's long but the basic info is in the first post. It's also fascinating!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Here is the link mentioned above

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

I use refeeds mainly for adherence and to boost workout performance. Also the leaner I get, the more helpful I find them. I do refeeds every week, usually start out with one day at the beginning and towards the end I end up with 2-3 days as I get really lean. I don't always follow a super traditional high carb/lower fat approach, I usually keep protein and fat fairly consistent or a bit higher, then carbs are extra high.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2018
    Options
    tianacaona wrote: »
    I’ve read about refeeding and will be incorporating them in my weight loss plan, but I’m curious to hear how others approach it. If you refeed, how frequently do you do it and how far in advance do you plan it?

Depending how lean you are would determine frequency. The leaner you are the more frequent.. the more overfat you are the less frequent.. so anywhere from every 6 weeks for those sub 16% (males) / 22% (females), to every 6 months for those morbidly obese. An average person can refeed every 6-8 weeks.. more frequently for compliance and enjoyment.

I follow Lyle McDonald's UD 2 which has weekly refeeds in them. But that is because i have a 40-50% deficit the first 4 days and i am doing glycogen depletion. The ultra high carbs (500g+) is for super compensation; your body reprioritizes glycogen resynthesis over fat storage, which is also why you want very low fat.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Depending how lean you are would determine frequency. The leaner you are the more frequent.. the more overfat you are the less frequent.. so anywhere from every 6 weeks for those sub 16% (males) / 22% (females), to every 6 months for those morbidly obese.

I follow Lyle McDonald's UD 2 which has weekly refeeds in them. But that is because i have a 40-50% deficit the first 4 days and i am doing glycogen depletion. The ultra high carbs (500g+) is for super compensation; your body reprioritizes glycogen resynthesis over fat storage, which is also why you want very low fat.

Oh are we talking refeeds or diet breaks? I thought OP was talking refeed days which are shorter periods of higher calories (carbs) vs. diet breaks which is eating at maintenance for a longer period of time (ideally a week or more).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Depending how lean you are would determine frequency. The leaner you are the more frequent.. the more overfat you are the less frequent.. so anywhere from every 6 weeks for those sub 16% (males) / 22% (females), to every 6 months for those morbidly obese.

Oh are we talking refeeds or diet breaks? I thought OP was talking refeed days which are shorter periods of higher calories (carbs) vs. diet breaks which is eating at maintenance for a longer period of time (ideally a week or more).

Refeeds are two consecutive low fat, high carb.. diet breaks are 1-2 weeks. Bot can be helpful. You dont have to do weekly refeeds, unless you are fairly lean.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting rid of the last 5 vanity pounds, so my deficit is only 250 cals, and i have a week at maintenance every 6 weeks of cutting. It helps me stick to my cut.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting rid of the last 5 vanity pounds, so my deficit is only 250 cals, and i have a week at maintenance every 6 weeks of cutting. It helps me stick to my cut.

Do those few extra calories make a big difference to you? My last 5lbs that tiny margin never seemed much fun to play with.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Do those few extra calories make a big difference to you? My last 5lbs that tiny margin never seemed much fun to play with.

Massively, yes. I'm a runner and the difference in how i feel doing long dustances on a deficit compared to at maintenance is definintely noticeable so it helps with that too.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Refeeds are two consecutive low fat, high carb.. diet breaks are 1-2 weeks. Bot can be helpful. You dont have to do weekly refeeds, unless you are fairly lean.

Ok yea that's what I thought
  • ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    The frequency is going to depend on you and your BF%. I tried doing them once a week at 20% bodyfat and it was definitely overkill. The first one left me feeling incredible, and I really feel like it helped push me in the gym over the next few days. After the second and third I didn't really feel that much different from the day before and kinda just felt like I was wasting calories. Once every two weeks would probably have been fine.

Usually I'll plan it a few days in advance and play it by ear unless I'm so hungry that nothing I eat that day would make me feel better. In that case I'd plan it for the day after because my refeed macros are pretty specific and harder to meet in the spur of the moment.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    When I’m deep into a cut I do refeeds once a week with tracked 800+ gram carbs (I have very high tdee) and I absolutely love them. Always have a solid workout the next day, get a little mental break, and hit new low weigh ins a couple days later