new craze of bad motivation

Options
Hi everybody. I use this app mostly to keep track of what I'm eating and make sure I have good portion control because I am recovering from bulimia. I was added recently by a few people, and I'm concerned that young women are motivating themselves based off of things that are inspired by the media. What is with this new craze of wanting to see your hip bones jut out, your collar bones hollow, and a gap between your thighs? Women are built to carry more fat because it's our biological plan to carry children. I'm concerned when I see some girls going so far as to start fasting and eating less than 1200 calories just to make themselves look more like these bony girls that people seem to worship.

Is anyone else as concerned as I am?

Replies

• shandlynrobinson
    Options
    I'm a little concerned about the desire for this "thigh gap" thing that seems to be the new benchmark of how thin you are. I think it looks a little creepy personally.
  • kjg1965297
    kjg1965297 Posts: 121
    Options
    I don't understand the craze. They must find it sexy. Doesn't look good at all
  • Amanda_Tate28
    Amanda_Tate28 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I wish I could sum up my sociology class and it would explain it to you but in short it is the long held male dominated complex (i am not a feminist it is just how our society works.)

I think being a little thick is great!

The gap between the thighs looks freaking creepy
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    It's certainly nothing new. My friends and I were starving to attain the media ideal 30 years ago. The only difference back then was that it was magazines and MTV instead of the internet and reality shows.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    It's called pro-ana (or pro-mia, meaning pro-anorexia and bulimia). They believe eating disorders are lifestyles to be chosen. They do not deserve sympathy or your time trying to convince them otherwise. Most are underage. Please report each and every single instance you see of this utter horse crap. MFP will remove the profiles.
  • ksavy
    ksavy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I wish I could sum up my sociology class and it would explain it to you but in short it is the long held male dominated complex (i am not a feminist it is just how our society works.)

I think being a little thick is great!

The gap between the thighs looks freaking creepy

The gap you are calling freaky occurs naturally on some people even in the mid to high healthy weights for their height. It all just depends on build. How would you really like it if someone called part of your body freaky?
  • FatOldBat
    FatOldBat Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    It's certainly nothing new. My friends and I were starving to attain the media ideal 30 years ago. The only difference back then was that it was magazines and MTV instead of the internet and reality shows.

^This
  • jchadden42
    jchadden42 Posts: 189
    Options
    I understand what you are saying. It bothers me that the goal seems to be to be under the recommended calorie goal. I use this site to balance meals, not as a weight loss tool.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,715 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody. I use this app mostly to keep track of what I'm eating and make sure I have good portion control because I am recovering from bulimia. I was added recently by a few people, and I'm concerned that young women are motivating themselves based off of things that are inspired by the media. What is with this new craze of wanting to see your hip bones jut out, your collar bones hollow, and a gap between your thighs? Women are built to carry more fat because it's our biological plan to carry children. I'm concerned when I see some girls going so far as to start fasting and eating less than 1200 calories just to make themselves look more like these bony girls that people seem to worship.

Is anyone else as concerned as I am?
    The influence of media and Hollywood is huge on young girls. Skinny boney actresses are the envy of many of them. I'm much more impressed with female athletes who put lots of men to shame, when it comes to fitness and athletic ability.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • classictoaster
    Options
    Thigh gaps aren't "bad" - but it ultimately depends on the width of your hips if you have one or not. Making the general statement that they're "creepy" is just as bad as making fun of people for being overweight. However, girls going to unhealthy measure to attain a thigh gap is certainly not okay.

I agree that young women are sucked up in this "ideal body" portrayed by the media. I spent most of the past year recovering from bulemic tendancies and bad body image, and it never feels good to see this sort of bad motivation. Thankfully, my friends on here are some of the biggest motivations I've had for losing weight the healthy way - and for the right reasons, too.

Everyone's concerned, I think.
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Sorry my thigh gap creeps you out. I happen to have wide hips. It's not something I strived for its just my body shape. But hey. I'll try to make sure it never shows. I'd hate for some one to feel uncomfortable about some thing so insignificant. :mad:
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I first heard of thinspo and pro-ana today....on the forums actually. I was really shocked that it has become an "in thing" to be so excessively skinny and boney! :noway:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    this is about that thinspo crap isn't it :huh:

I read the phrase today in an earlier thread and googled it....holy moley :noway: I had no idea it was a 'thing'....now I know why people go apesh*t here when girls ask about thigh gap :ohwell:

When I was younger, thigh gap was teeny daylight seen btw the thighs but what thigh gap is these days is stick legs. :noway: It is unsettling to say the least.

I consider myself kinda 'up' on stuff but never saw this coming especially with how much we know about this sort of thing :frown:
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I've only had 1 MFP friend that was like that. She was a little 19 y.o. (supposedly), and all she talked about was how she can't eat, her boyfriend, and being skinny. She posted a link for her instagram, and I thought I'd check it out. It was very disturbing...a lot of 'thinspiration' stuff, and also talking about nothing but being thin, thin, thin.

I de-friended her. I wish her nothing but luck, but it was sad and depressing seeing someone so tortured by weight day in, day out. And I forgot to say, she was 5'5" and weighed 123 lbs...looking to lose 8. I can say all this now because I found out from a mutual ex-friend that she closed her account after blowing up at her 'friends in reference to her love of her boyfriend and weed. Ugh.

In other words...I have no time for that type of drama and sickness. Unfortunately I let things like that really bother me and I found that I was worrying about her long after I read some of her posts.