Vegitarian protein help!

I am trying to meet my daily protein grams but is has been difficult since I've gone vegetarian.

So i am wondering what other vegis are eating to get enough protein? I eat the tofu, beans, and nuts but I then also go over my daily carb grams too!

Replies

• violetvy
    violetvy Posts: 33
    I am trying to meet my daily protein grams but is has been difficult since I've gone vegetarian.

So i am wondering what other vegis are eating to get enough protein? I eat the tofu, beans, and nuts but I then also go over my daily carb grams too!
  • hamilton4beaumont
    hamilton4beaumont Posts: 122 Member
    peanut butter, egg whites, double fiber bread (10 grams of protein for 2 slices and 100 cals), dairy usually has quite a bit too.
  • I'm vegetarian, and I take some supplements...
    SPIRULINA (capsules)is great for every-body but specially if you are a vegetarian..
    You can go to Google and find some information about this super-food...
    Good luck,
    Sonia:flowerforyou:
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    I agree with a lot of what has been already mentioned - beans (I love hummus), tofu, nuts and nut butters, dairy if you eat it (yogurt is particularly good). I'd also like to add TVP (textured vegetable protein) - it is dehydrated soy protein that can be quickly cooked by adding boiling water. You can add whatever seasonings you like and use it for chili, taco filling, etc.

All that being said, most Americans get more protein than is really necessary. Chances are, you are just fine being a few grams under - unless you are trying to build a lot of muscle, or you find yourself craving protein. I've been a vegetarian since I was 13, and after years of being forced to count my protein grams by my parents, I believe that it is more important to eat a wide variety of healthy foods - particularly veggies, fruit, whole grains, nuts, legumes, and healthy oils.

Good luck!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    I'm a veggie and I'm usually over. Protein is in everything!
    Are you vegan?
  • violetvy
    violetvy Posts: 33
    Not yet...taking it slow.