Too many calories!!!

Options
Some how I’ve ended up eating 4000cals today, if I’ve eaten under 1400cals every other day this week will I gain a lot of weight from today?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    Depends on whether you're still in an overall calorie deficit for the week (or so) or not. If you are, you'll lose. If not, you won't.

Either way, you'll see a scary (but mostly) meaningless scale jump from the combo of water weight (more carbs and salt than usual, NBD), and increased digestive system contents (also NBD).

Don't sweat it; it'll drop off pretty soon (few days) because almost none of it is fat gain.

You already ate it. If you wish you hadn't, spend around 10 minutes figuring out why, and thinking how best to avoid a repeat. Then log it, and get back on a healthy track.

You'll be fine. Best wishes!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Nothing to add to the excellent advice above.

Just something to think on.

You say you are eating under 1400 cals most days.
    Is 1400 your goal given you by MFP?
    If so eat to that, not under it.

Is your deficit too high?
    0.5-1lbs a week for under 50lbs.
    2lbs if over 75lbs to lose.

Are you eating back at least a portion (50-100%) of your exercise calories consistently?
    MFP expects you to.

Sometimes when one has a day eating so much more than their deficit, it indicates that their deficit is too low, or they are not meeting nutritional goals.

Sometimes, of course, we eat more just because we feel like it, it is an occasion, etc etc. And we write that day off (logged if possible), with no guilt.

Cheers, h.