Plan to Eat -OR Fail. Planners please chime in!

Options
I am wondering if anyone plans their meals in advance--even to setting aside the ingredients --down to packing your lunch bag the night before or having all the ingredients for all three meals in separate Ziplocs etc
and then --logs in at the end of the day --- what was actually accomplished?

I started to do this thing where I just stuffed the dry ingredients in separate blender cups and then they were ready to blend---at the times I needed--- rather than having day old juices in the fridge --for example----

Blender Cup 1 for a raw cream of tomato soup--plum tomatoes-soaked cashews, red pepper
Blender Cup 2 for blueberry smoothie...blueberries, almonds, agave,
Blender 3 for a snack had avocado, red onion, cilantro--etc . It was then just a matter of adding ice or spring water or almond milk, or green tea

I did So well on Ani Pnyo's weight loss plan---because it had a specific food list which I bought and pretty much stuck to.

What have been your consequences if you do not plan? What helps you stick to planning?
Share your planning tips to succeed! Planning buddies needed:flowerforyou:

Replies

• heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    shameless bump--I'm desperate
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I've got my staple dishes for high and low activity days. They get mix and matched depending on the day but it works. When there's something special going on though, I just go with what makes sense to me at the time.
  • nicolecafarella
    nicolecafarella Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think meal planning is crucial. I just finished my planning and grocery list for the week. I hang the "menu" on the refrigerator. I tend to eat the same things for breakfast and lunch a lot, but for dinners we just choose each night from the menu and I cook it. It's a lot of work on the weekend but so much easier during the week!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    This is something I'm really working on. I'm a teacher and I LOVE to cook, but I'm so tired when I get home in the evenings that often times, even if I have the stuff to make a great meal, I won't do it because I'm exhausted and just want something fast. For the past few weeks I've been working on rotating dinner between chicken breast, salmon filets and pork chops with various marinades. I add in a baby spring mix salad with a few different options for dressing and a few different types risotto and I have an easy dinner that I can have on the plate in under 30 minutes with minimal prep work. So far, this has worked really well for me and I'm hoping to stick with it once school starts back up.

I'm hoping once I get back down to maintenance I can start working more variety in to my meals, but so far I'm ok with eating basically the same thing everyday and it makes meal planning and monitoring my calorie intake SOOOOO much easier!
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I plan meals for two reasons: to keep my eating on track and to keep my budget on track! I only go grocery shopping on Monday (unless I plan on having some kind of special produce at the end of the week-- then I only go to the store for that). I plan my food logging on Sunday night and then make a list for the grocery store based off of that (disclaimer: I'm single without kids, so my meal planning might be less complicated than others). Then, I only have the food I'm planning on eating that week. It leads to less snacking and less spending!
  • kRcu
    kRcu Posts: 18
    Options
    It's fairly easy for me. I have a canister of protein at work. While there, I will have two shakes throughout the day and a protein bar or oatmeal for a snack. I typically go home for lunch so I can eat what I can, or will go out with coworkers if the restaurant is on myfitnesspal.

I don't mind drinking most of my meals, as I rarely like to eat. I love saving most of my calories for a large dinner, so I have planned my packed meals around that.

My wife packs all of her stuff the night before and prefers it, since she has free-time available.
  • heroyalslimness
    Options
    I've got my staple dishes for high and low activity days. They get mix and matched depending on the day but it works. When there's something special going on though, I just go with what makes sense to me at the time.

THIS would NEVER have occurred to me---matching food to activity. :wink: I'm all ears...............
  • heroyalslimness
    Options
    I think meal planning is crucial. I just finished my planning and grocery list for the week. I hang the "menu" on the refrigerator. I tend to eat the same things for breakfast and lunch a lot, but for dinners we just choose each night from the menu and I cook it. It's a lot of work on the weekend but so much easier during the week!

making notes
    is there a meal planning group or page on this site?
  • heroyalslimness
    Options
    This is something I'm really working on. I'm a teacher and I LOVE to cook, but I'm so tired when I get home in the evenings that often times, even if I have the stuff to make a great meal, I won't do it because I'm exhausted and just want something fast. For the past few weeks I've been working on rotating dinner between chicken breast, salmon filets and pork chops with various marinades. I add in a baby spring mix salad with a few different options for dressing and a few different types risotto and I have an easy dinner that I can have on the plate in under 30 minutes with minimal prep work. So far, this has worked really well for me and I'm hoping to stick with it once school starts back up.

I'm hoping once I get back down to maintenance I can start working more variety in to my meals, but so far I'm ok with eating basically the same thing everyday and it makes meal planning and monitoring my calorie intake SOOOOO much easier!

That's my challenge--I'm on the road a lot ---come home and am super exhausted.
    HELLOOOOOOOOOOO fast food take-out
    although my food tastes way better

Last night I almost got a fried sandwich---but the short order guy was picking his nose and when he finally put gloves on ---he did not even wash his hands --I walked out--

I consider this a sign :huh:
  • heroyalslimness
    Options
    I plan meals for two reasons: to keep my eating on track and to keep my budget on track! I only go grocery shopping on Monday (unless I plan on having some kind of special produce at the end of the week-- then I only go to the store for that). I plan my food logging on Sunday night and then make a list for the grocery store based off of that (disclaimer: I'm single without kids, so my meal planning might be less complicated than others). Then, I only have the food I'm planning on eating that week. It leads to less snacking and less spending!

LOVE THIS. I'm single,too. I can plan what I want!
  • dntldiva
    dntldiva Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a basic meal plan for breakfast. lunch, dinner and snacks all mapped out to equal my macros (carbs, fats, proteins). Then it is easy to substitute in. For example on my lunch it calls for 4 oz grilled chicken which is 120 calories, 20g protein, 0 carbs and 2g fat. If I end up wanting to eat something else I simply sub for the same values. I do preplan my basic eating plan for the week and because I travel extensively I take travel friendly foods with me so I stay on target. I have a great recipe for protein powder waffles that I can eat with a tablespoon of peanut butter for a quick, easy meal on the go.

With myfitnesspal it's super simple to keep track of my intake and plan accordingly throughout the day/week.
  • heroyalslimness
    Options
    It's fairly easy for me. I have a canister of protein at work. While there, I will have two shakes throughout the day and a protein bar or oatmeal for a snack. I typically go home for lunch so I can eat what I can, or will go out with coworkers if the restaurant is on myfitnesspal.

I don't mind drinking most of my meals, as I rarely like to eat. I love saving most of my calories for a large dinner, so I have planned my packed meals around that.

My wife packs all of her stuff the night before and prefers it, since she has free-time available.

I like the idea of the beverage meals---very convenient--and packing the night before
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I try to buy only enough ingredients to make specific recipes as I hate wasting any food, and I do plan in advance... But I often end up eating the thing I "feel like" instead of the thing I planned cause I know I will just eat them both anyway (which would be worse!!).
  • heroyalslimness
    Options
    I try to buy only enough ingredients to make specific recipes as I hate wasting any food, and I do plan in advance... But I often end up eating the thing I "feel like" instead of the thing I planned cause I know I will just eat them both anyway (which would be worse!!).

I do this ,too. Maybe plan for the unplanned too?
  • heroyalslimness
    Options
    I have a basic meal plan for breakfast. lunch, dinner and snacks all mapped out to equal my macros (carbs, fats, proteins). Then it is easy to substitute in. For example on my lunch it calls for 4 oz grilled chicken which is 120 calories, 20g protein, 0 carbs and 2g fat. If I end up wanting to eat something else I simply sub for the same values. I do preplan my basic eating plan for the week and because I travel extensively I take travel friendly foods with me so I stay on target. I have a great recipe for protein powder waffles that I can eat with a tablespoon of peanut butter for a quick, easy meal on the go.

With myfitnesspal it's super simple to keep track of my intake and plan accordingly throughout the day/week.

I am getting ready to go on tour---very timely.
  • heroyalslimness
    Options
    THESE are GREAT plans
    Keep em coming!--very inspirational
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely. Didnt have to all year but coming to the point after having lost 60 pounds I'm at a point when my stomach is getting flat. So I'm counting every calorie and planning out meals in the evening before. It helped to get me to the next level.
  • PINKinquisition1908
    PINKinquisition1908 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I plan and log everything in advance. It becomes a blueprint for my day. If I don't log it in advance, I fall off the wagon.
  • heroyalslimness
    Options
    I plan and log everything in advance. It becomes a blueprint for my day. If I don't log it in advance, I fall off the wagon.

I might use this page just to get me started --

oh I just got it---you log in your meals ---before! I MIGHT TRY THAT
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I log in advance. Specially during fast days (5:2 here). So when I'm ready to eat I just check MFP and follow the ingredients and the amounts. Most of the fast days I eat my "safe for fast" menus so I really don't think too much about them.

During non fast days I also log in. If I'm going out for lunch/dinner, I log in an estimate and log my day around that. Sometimes I eat less t han what I supposed so I'll adapt it.

I maintain a weekly allowance of calories (important part for 5:2) so for me it's important to know how many cals I eat during fast and non fast days.

I also buy in the supermarket the ingredients that I have logged in. It saves a lot of money and I don't throw the food out when I don't use it and it spoils.