Portable breakfast

Options
Hi, I’m a teacher so I need a breakfast that I can take with me and eat on the train on the way to work.
I leave the house super early and am straight into a busy schedule hence no time to eat brekkie at home or at work.
Ideally recipes that are rich on protein and will keep me full for a few hours until mid morning. I prefer calorie dense, small portions.
Thanks

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    hard boiled eggs...sausage, egg, and cheese on an english muffin or croissant...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Protein shake & a banana?

Eat a bowl of cereal when you get to work?
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    You could try a protein shake and a banana or pear, maybe with a handful of unsalted nuts (about 30-40g) or a sachet of peanut butter, and/or a small 30g square of cheese, that you can carry in a small container.
  • sugom2
    sugom2 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats with added protein
  • gstaubs1
    gstaubs1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    omaniwmmj05a.jpg
  • gstaubs1
    gstaubs1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    These also look tasty and good for you haven't tried though
    0as0zt9wznj9.jpg
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    From one teacher to another, I'll say that life got better (in terms of fat loss) when I set up shop at school. That way, you have no choice! You have to eat the random crap that you brought.

I bring eggs, oats, and protein powder.

I mix the powder with water in shaker bottles, I cook the oats in a bowl (with some terrifying, woo-woo, supposedly-anti-inflammatory spices), and I either bring hard-boiled eggs or cook them in the microwave in a bowl.
  • bedenbal
    bedenbal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would go with a hard boiled egg, two slices of turkey bacon that can be microwaved and a slice of wheat toast with peanut butter!
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    What about Egg Muffins? You can make a big batch at the beginning of the week and then grab and go in the morning. You can use whatever mixins you want.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    mjnoliver wrote: »
    Hi, I’m a teacher so I need a breakfast that I can take with me and eat on the train on the way to work.
    I leave the house super early and am straight into a busy schedule hence no time to eat brekkie at home or at work.
    Ideally recipes that are rich on protein and will keep me full for a few hours until mid morning. I prefer calorie dense, small portions.
    Thanks

I usually eat a protein or food bar (Balance or 1/2 a Clif) on my way out the door, and then a greek yogurt at my desk.
  • MADgical72
    MADgical72 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I made some b’fast tacos and froze them. I just pop one in the microwave and cane take it out the door.

I also make smoothies. You can put so much good, filling things in it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs and a protein bar.

Breakfast burrito (pre-prepare and freeze, pop in the microwave for a minute or so before you go out the door).

Greek yogurt and a few ounces of chicken breast.

A scrambled egg (45 seconds in the microwave) and some sliced turkey or roast beef atop an English muffin.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,913 Member
    Options
    Reviewers said these are good cold (I've only had hot.) They are good for at least 5 days and probably freeze well.

Make-Ahead Breakfast Bars

5506506.jpg
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I think I do more eating in transit than I do actually sitting down at a table. My requirements

1. must not require immediate refrigeration( if I run out of time to eat it within a couple hours, I don't want it to go to waste)
    2. must be able to withstand being thrown in a backpack (no blueberries, raspberries, grapes)
    3. must be able to be eaten without utensils or napkins

My go to is always a protein bar and a beef jerky stick. For bars I stick with Quest, OhYeah One and Clif Builder Bars. For jerky, I like Ostrim, Epic or Chef's Cut.

Others items that work too
    protein shake and an apple
    100 calorie pack of almonds, 2 hard boiled eggs
    microwaved veggie burger, Rx Bar
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a piece of ryebread with boiled egg, and a small wholegrain bun with some ham/chicken etc on it. I get 450ish calories and about 20 grams of protein..and feel full until lunch 4 hours later. I fast the day before, and prefer old fashioned food, instead of all the modern "high protein, low carb" things many people eat for breakfast while dieting
  • mekelly
    mekelly Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Another teacher here and I swear by overnight oats. I make a whole week's worth on a Sunday. You can mix it up with lots of different fruits and spices so you don't feel like you're eating the same thing every day.
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Yet another teacher, and I get the need for a quick, portable breakfast! I make a breakfast sandwich- toast, slice of ham, slice of cheese, egg cooked omelette-style in my microwave. Takes 5mins to make, and I eat it in the car on my way to work.
    Keeps me going until lunch, too!
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    - On the go nordica cottage cheese with an apple or banana
    - Overnight oats
    - A sandwich
    - Hard boiled eggs with a piece of toast
    - 2 yogurts with some fruit
    - Smoothies
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Burritos. A burrito is any food rolled into a flour tortilla. Scrambled eggs, peanut butter & jelly, turkey and avocado, spaghetti (yep, I've had that more than once), meatloaf, whatever you feel like.
  • Strongfitmama100412
    Options
    On the days i work i need to get me amd 3 kids out of the house by 745am. I have my coffee when Im making lunches, getting kids breakfast and make myself a smoothie.

I freeze banana, strawberries, blueberries and spinach together in freezer bags. (I do it at the end of the week each week with the fresh fruit that is going to go bad)
    In the morning i pop in blender with unsweetened almond milk or good karma milk, 1/2 plain yogurt, flax, and protein powder. I put in a portable smoothie cup i have pop it in fridge. I take it in the car when we leave and sip it slowly on my commute.