Couldn't get in my zone

Options
Hey everyone,

Today in my training session I couldn't get in my zone, and my workout just felt like rubbish.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Do you have any tips for when this happens?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    What is your training? How often do you do it? What else is going on in your life?

Everyone has off days.
  • gvizzle74
    gvizzle74 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It happens - just like it does with anything else. Do you always want to go to work? nah, but you do. You're not always going to be in the zone, but you do it anyway.
  • PHOTOCHAP
    PHOTOCHAP Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah! Sometimes you just feel like "what's the point" but just a few more pushes and you're soon back there. I guess it's a bit like "the wall" that runners are supposed to go through (I'm no runner) so the next time you get that "oh F**** it!" feeling try pressing harder and hopefully you'll jump over that wall and get your buzz back. Don't give up, we're here to help :)
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I get this about once every two-four weeks or so. Typically, it's either after a really hard workout, or right before a really good one. I think it's your body just tired, or needing a change. If I notice it occurring too often, I will switch up (running, biking, swimming for cardio, free weights, machines, body weight exercises for strength). I also try to remember to look at my diet for the past few days. Sometimes it's from what i did or didn't eat, or not hydrating enough.

I'm not as hard on myself anymore for not performing to the level I expected, just as long as I get up off the couch and perform.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Of course it happens to everyone. You muscle through and then think about some extra rest.
  • ami_bemi_bear
    ami_bemi_bear Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym for small group personal training, have my own programme which changes every 4 weeks and this was the start of the 4th week.

I got my warmup done then just kind of zoned out and didn't even do all my reps through my main workout (free weight type stuff).

I'm meant to finish up with cardio but I couldn't face it, it's like there was a complete mental block between me and the rowing machine!

My first kind of month at the gym has been great, I've got really stuck in and enjoyed it, I don't know what was different tonight. Perhaps it was to do with the gym being quite busy, there was a lot going on and it was difficult to block out.

I really appreciate all of the comments and support. I'm just feeling a little bit down because I normally get such a buzz out of working out, and it's something I haven't been able to do before since I've lost a significant amount of weight (54lbs to date).
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    No tips, but some perspective.
    1) For me, a good routine strikes a balance between intense enough to offer some challenge on good days but not so much that I can't face it on bad days. There are many days I'm not at my best but I know I can get through my workout and do some good.
    2) I put faith in the idea that just doing the reps counts for something. There's an Eric Helms' quote that floats around here that says something like, "a 60% optimal routine adhered to 90% of the time produces better results than a 90% optimal routine done 60% of the time."

Intense training requires rest/recovery. Does your training plan provide for recovery appropriate to the challenge?

• ami_bemi_bear
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    1) For me, a good routine strikes a balance between intense enough to offer some challenge on good days but not so much that I can't face it on bad days. There are many days I'm not at my best but I know I can get through my workout and do some good.
    2) I put faith in the idea that just doing the reps counts for something. There's an Eric Helms' quote that floats around here that says something like, "a 60% optimal routine adhered to 90% of the time produces better results than a 90% optimal routine done 60% of the time."

Intense training requires rest/recovery. Does your training plan provide for recovery appropriate to the challenge?

It does. I have three main workouts a week with a trainer in a small group setting (6 people or less each on their own programme). I intersperse this with bike rides and pilates with at least two days rest and recovery each week.

I haven't been properly in the gym for 6 days with the bank holiday (UK) throwing my schedule off a little, so I may just be a little out of tune with what is 'normal', and that could be not helping I guess.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

Today in my training session I couldn't get in my zone, and my workout just felt like rubbish.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Do you have any tips for when this happens?

It happens.

As others have suggested, there may be a number of reasons.

Some may include and in no particular order:

- Lack of rest
    - Over training
    - Diet and Nutrition
    - Lack of Variety
    - Life gets in the Way

That last one is a catch all. I work a job where I pull one on-call rotation every 4 weeks. So I'm to be available 7x24 for that week. So instead of 5am workouts that week, I may get some at 10am, some at 5pm or maybe not at all if I've had to work the past 16 hours on 4 hours sleep. I don't get to go bike riding with my gang of middle aged dudes and dames in Lycra either. But I may meet them for coffee and a scone....

For me, and YMMV, I find that trying to keep the habit helps. Also, recognizing that one day doesn't have to define me. If I don't have it today, listen and respond to the message and fight again tomorrow.

But on those on-call weeks, I might have to just do 3-4 workouts instead of 5-6. I choose to not feel bad about it. I embrace the reality and pledge to do my best when the circumstance changes.

After those weeks, I usually come back stronger. So I may have a built in physical break during those weeks and then I'm feeling stronger (subjective, I know) the following week. My body may be able to build and recover more when I'm not getting as many workouts.

I just finished an on-call week last Friday. I then rode my bike 71 miles over the weekend, did workouts Mon through this AM and will do a second workout tonight while my bride has a church related meeting after work. So that will be 7 workouts in the past 6 days.

During the following weeks, I'll probably dial it back so my average is more like 5-6/week.

For me, it's a balance between use it or lose it and the body is not a machine, it has to rest and repair.

We are mind, body and spirit. They all have a role to play in anything we choose to do as humans. This includes workouts. If any one of them are not in the game, performance suffers.

They all need a break from time to time.

Hope this helps.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I would also like to add that as a female, hormonal fluctuations/TOM can effect your workout as well. I just do my best to trudge through it. A bad workout is better than no workout (unless the workout is bad because you are overly sore/injured. In that case take time to rest).
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    In my experience, not every workout is going to feel great. Some are going to feel harder than others, some will be more boring than others, it just is what it is. But I figure I need to show up for the trash days in order to have the good days, so I keep pushing on.

This is my experience as well. I still work out, but feel draggy. For me, it may be from poor sleep, depression, hormones, anxiety, dehydration/electrolyte imbalance, stress, improper fueling. I just do my best.

OP, it happens!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »

It does. I have three main workouts a week with a trainer in a small group setting (6 people or less each on their own programme). I intersperse this with bike rides and pilates with at least two days rest and recovery each week.

I haven't been properly in the gym for 6 days with the bank holiday (UK) throwing my schedule off a little, so I may just be a little out of tune with what is 'normal', and that could be not helping I guess.

It was probably this.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Yes I feel like that sometimes. It could be one of many different things. Poor sleep, coming down with a cold or other sickness, anxiety, dehydration, etc. You're not going to feel like you're on your A game every day.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Yep. The important thing is that you did it.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Yes sometimes I am clumsy or slow, weak or just feel inefficient. Not every day can you be your best. Try to put it behind you.
  • ami_bemi_bear
    Options
    Thank you for all of your kind, helpful and inspiring comments. I appreciate every one of them.

I will get back into my routine and keep on going through each workout, whether good or bad!
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of your kind, helpful and inspiring comments. I appreciate every one of them.

I will get back into my routine and keep on going through each workout, whether good or bad!

I've learned to do just that! It has become a routine and it's better than sitting on the sofa.

Good luck.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Some days are like that, for me its usually when I'm needing a proper rest day.