Feeling very hungry this week at 1700-1750 calories, is it enough? 5'8 F 207 LBS

Options
I have been very loose with food tracking but as of Sunday I have been very strict with logging. I am hitting about 1700-1750 calorie range yet still feel pretty hungry most of the time. I am trying to do a 2lb loss a week, considering I am about 45-60 ish pounds from being in a healthy weight. I hit about 10k-13k steps a day ( most of these steps come from long walks with the dogs). I also have worked out twice this week on the arc trainer ( elliptical type of machine) 60 and 30 minutes.
I am trying to eat protein packed food so not sure what I am doing wrong here?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Are you female? When is your period due? I get ravenous about three days before my period.

I also feel fuller when I incorporate carbs with my protein.
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    What's your macros like? Eating enough fat/protein, fibre?

Have you considered volume eating?
  • soinbnsng
    soinbnsng Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Not due for that time of the month soon but yes I also feel extra hungry around then.

My diary should be public if anyone wants to look, mostly accurate since sunday. getting around 115 carbs and 105 protein a day.

I need google volume eating
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    Options
    What is mfp's suggested intake for an active and a very active female with your stats and goals? 1700 to 1750? Or higher?

Your actual activity level sounds like it would put you in the high end of active/somewhere in very active if you just logged everything under an activity level...

Furthermore. If your tdee is under 3000, generating even a 750 Cal deficit requires you to create a deficit > 25% of TDEE. Usually 25% is suitable for an obese person, 20% being more suitable for an overweight or normal weight person.

All told... if you're hitting your numbers you have a high likelihood of being hungry.

Options: find a mix of foods that is as satiating as possible. Decrease deficit to something that is manageable and promotes long term adherence with minimal side effects.
  • TheMagicOneMikeD
    TheMagicOneMikeD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    This is just a guess but you might try a multivitamin. Your body might be trying to get some nutrients it's not getting in your diet. It doesn't look in anyway shape or form that you are getting everything you need with what you're eating looking back over the past few days of your diary. I'm a 6'1" male in the 300 club at the moment and I do fine on < 2100 calories day and maybe <2500 on weight lifting days. If I don't take a multivitamin I will start feeling like I want to eat and I know I'm not getting everything because I eat solely for macros with the intent of supplementing the micros so I have a lot more control over everything. Either a multi or start eating foods with better vitamin/mineral content. Just an idea.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    soinbnsng wrote: »
    I have been very loose with food tracking but as of Sunday I have been very strict with logging. I am hitting about 1700-1750 calorie range yet still feel pretty hungry most of the time. I am trying to do a 2lb loss a week, considering I am about 45-60 ish pounds from being in a healthy weight. I hit about 10k-13k steps a day ( most of these steps come from long walks with the dogs). I also have worked out twice this week on the arc trainer ( elliptical type of machine) 60 and 30 minutes.

Are those 1700-1750 calories net or gross? What percent of the calories you earned from exercise are you eating back?
  • soinbnsng
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Are those 1700-1750 calories net or gross? What percent of the calories you earned from exercise are you eating back?

They are gross, I generally don’t eat the exercise calories back because I don’t know how many it is exactly. I’ve heard the gym machines over estimate calories burned so still trying to figure that out. I broke my Apple Watch a couple months ago so don’t have a fitness tracker right now.
  • soinbnsng
    Options
    This is just a guess but you might try a multivitamin. Your body might be trying to get some nutrients it's not getting in your diet. It doesn't look in anyway shape or form that you are getting everything you need with what you're eating looking back over the past few days of your diary. I'm a 6'1" male in the 300 club at the moment and I do fine on < 2100 calories day and maybe <2500 on weight lifting days. If I don't take a multivitamin I will start feeling like I want to eat and I know I'm not getting everything because I eat solely for macros with the intent of supplementing the micros so I have a lot more control over everything. Either a multi or start eating foods with better vitamin/mineral content. Just an idea.

Thata a great idea! I think I will get some vitimans!

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    How long have you been eating in the 1700 -1750 range, and what are your results?

I agree with PAV888 that if your TDEE is 2700-2750, which is what it would be if 1700-1750 is a 2 pound a week deficit for you, that that's too much of a cut. That's at least 36% cut in the calories you need.

Assuming that you are actually losing in the neighborhood of 2 lbs a week, I think eating more would do a lot more for you than taking vitamins. If you think you have a micronutrient deficiency, go see your doctor and get your blood tested -- before you start taking the vitamins, since taking vitamins can mask some issues related to malabsorption.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Not everybody feels full with protein, and/or you may not be getting as much protein as you think. I'd tinker with your macros a bit, maybe increase your fiber intake, and see if that helps.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Where do you live? I notice an increase in hunger with the change from summer to fall. I think my body wants to start storing up for the winter hibernation. Just a thought...
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options

They are gross, I generally don’t eat the exercise calories back because I don’t know how many it is exactly. I’ve heard the gym machines over estimate calories burned so still trying to figure that out. I broke my Apple Watch a couple months ago so don’t have a fitness tracker right now.

It sounds like you're hungry because you aren't eating your exercise calories. Start by eating half of them, see what your weight does, and adjust as needed. Simply eating none of your exercise calories is a bad idea when you're doing a large amount of exercise, since you're not giving your body enough fuel.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options

Ok, that's why you're hungry. Your goal of 2 pounds per week is already slightly aggressive given your goal weight and you're not fueling your workouts.

You can just use the MFP database, only eat 50% of your exercise calories back, and adjust as needed.