Is spot reducing possible, and why did I gain a majority of my weight in one area?

Options
Unfortunately, I was struggling on keto (which I'm on for my epilepsy) and was frequently overeating without realizing. I AM slowly getting better at accurately measuring dietary fats, fatty meats, etc, however, it takes time. Anyways, and am now up almost 15 pounds in the past several months (net total of 40 pounds from 2016 around when I first started LCHF) and am now overweight at 5'6 and 160 pounds. I'm very confused though and am wondering if this may be hormonal? Nearly ALL of my weight (almost every pound it seems) has gone straight to my thighs/hips. My current measurements are 36 inches around the bust, 25 inches around the waist, and 44 inches around the hips. And each thigh is 23 inches. When I was 40 pounds lighter, my bust was 34, waist was 24, and hips were 36 (each thigh was 18). In other words, barely a change above but drastic change below. Is this the result of specific hormones? You'd think it would spread more evenly after gaining so much weight, but apparently not. Trying on certain clothes are becoming annoying/difficult though. I even have a few overweight female friends who can fit in jeans just fine (but their weight is more evenly spread as opposed to bottom-heavy). With me, it's feeling impossible now. Why so much weight gain in literally one area? Hormones? Genes? Etc? And do I have to lose lots of weight again in order to shrink my lower half back to where it was (or close)? Or is there a way to spot reduce? I'm worried if I re-lose 40, or even 20 pounds, my top half will be way too thin (if spot reducing isn't possible). At the same time, I'd really like to reduce the size of my bottom half, to at least even it out more like it used to be.

Current pic of me. 36-25-44. Can't fit a single jean/pant on me anymore lol. Have been wearing exercise clothes.
2je1dtw.jpg

Replies

• Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    It's genetics.

Perhaps try a different brand of jeans? I buy a lot of Joe's Jeans and they make some styles that are curvy with some stretch through the hips and thighs.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Sadly, it's genetics. You can't spot gain or spot reduce. You CAN spot strengthen, which can improve the shape of the area and possibly let you 'carry' it better.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    It is genetics. You should see my belly, can't gain in my legs, butt, and hips for love nor money.

You look fit and healthy even though your weight is carried in your lower half.

Maybe @sardelsa can come in and recommend jean brands that fit well.

Cheers, h.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yep, its genetics.

Sounds like its time to go shopping!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    I've a slightly wider waist, inch or two but similar bust/hip measurement, I buy most of my jeans from the supermarket Asda in the UK, their George range fits me quite well. Also John Rocha Jeans fit very well.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    As others have said, where we carry weight is genetics. Unfortunately we can't spot reduce :/ If your lower half was smaller before when you were lighter, then its likely to return to that again as you lose.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    When people say you can't spot reduce they mean you can't do it intentionally. You CAN spod reduce and spot gain but only unintentionally and as dictated by your genetics.
  • Slowfaster
    Slowfaster Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous in that picture. I had an hour glass figure like you have (only not as good) when I was young, but now that I'm getting older my weight has shifted so that most of the excess is in the waist area and I'm losing my rear. We oldies call that, "all belly, no butt syndrome." Take that body of yours to the beach in Brazil and soak up the admiration!
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    As what others have said already, just means shopping a little more carefully. Some brands 'fit' better than others despite being the same size!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Sounds like perfectly normal places for a woman to accumulate fat... Yes, it sucks! My thighs (especially saddlebags) are the first place to store fat, and the most stubborn to lose.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Genetics unfortunately.

However, one thing that is on our side is that it'll probably be the first place you'll lose weight when you do.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Sure spot reducing is possible, but you don't get to pick the spot. :smiley:
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    To be honest IMHO your carrying the extra 40lbs very well if that's the case. I'd have a gut like a bosu ball if I added 40lbs :D

Where we put on weight is genetic.

Good news for you is that you put it mostly on your thighs so when you lose it guess where it will come from.

Yes your mostly thighs!

When I cut I can't spot reduce my belly but I don't need to because that's where it mostly comes from anyway.

Good luck and stay consistent.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Deviette wrote: »
    Genetics unfortunately.

However, one thing that is on our side is that it'll probably be the first place you'll lose weight when you do.

I've found the opposite.... First place on, last place off. (urgh)

I think that we're saying the same thing but from opposite perspectives. I'm saying that the last place you put on weight will be the first place to loose (so: last on, first off). So for example for me the first place I put on weight is my thighs, then bum, arms then waist. When I start loosing it goes in the reverse order (waist, arms, bum, thighs)
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    It’s all genetics. You can’t control it.

For comparison: I’m 2 inches shorter than you, and weigh 25 pounds less. Your waist is 3.5 inches smaller than mine.

Your body gains in a pear distribution. Mine is an apple (an apple with four toothpicks attached — I don’t gain at all in my arms and legs). Sadly, we can’t change what genetics gave us.