The poor poor knees - no running

Options
Panini911
Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
edited August 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
My knees went caput on Wednesday. not sure what did them in. Increase in mileage last week, a bit of a hard jump off the bus on Tuesday. Just build up over time. They were fine, then they were not. After a break wed, i ran thursday (super easy) and while that was fine, the knees were not happy as the day went on (nor this morning)

I have fallen into the category of very sad injured runner who's been benched. Current plan is to take 5-7 days and debating how hard i try to get into the physio (they are pretty booked - current apt is sept 11 which is after a 10k race I may or may not cut).

Praying rest does the trick :( I am trying to note where and when it hurts to have more info but it seems to be a bit all over. front of knee, side of knee, back of thigh...not sure if it's tband but it doesnt' seem to be primarily that area (side of knee?) more inside front.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options
    Sorry you're benched.

Hate that.

I hope it miraculously heals itself. :neutral:
  • Panini911
    Options
    Haha maybe not miraculous but if it's "just" overuse the rest should do it. if more serious then obviously a few days rest wont do anything.

the more i google the more confused (and upset) i get :P so I'll have to stop that.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I feel ya, I really do. I'm a runner and am nursing along a knee that's feeling off right now.. just trying to baby it along so I can get through to the races. If I were in your shoes I'd book the appointment anyways, it can't hurt to have a back up in case if it isn't feeling better by then at least you wouldn't have to wait longer after. Hope yours feels better soon!!! Try keeping them elevated and iced?
  • Panini911
    Options
    I have been SO paranoid about an injury before the races :( But wasn't expecting it to be knees. And I really can't pinpoint what it likely is. If it hurt only when running that's one thing..

I was doing baths with epson salt and sitting on the lazy-boy at home but no ice. I have been taking Ipuprofin. Might start icing tonight (one more day at the office).

it irks me when i walk now too so i'm a tad scared this may be a long injury.

Next week is a bit of a mess for me but i decided to book an apt with another physio at the same clinic on Friday (in one week) and will rest in the meantime (which other than exercises I assume is what a physio would say). I"ll want an opinion on if I do the race on the 9th or not (but starting to think I am best to ditch the race on the 9th and work towards trying to get to the race on the 23rd which i care about more).

Sadly with rest means reduced daily calories (no exercise!!) plus we have two big dinner outs this week :P maintenance week it is! LOL
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Try KT tape as well. The full knee support really helps when my arthritis acts up.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I'm sure some rest and stretching will do the trick. How old are your shoes, maybe time for replacements?
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain.

Quite literally in my left knee. 🤨

Good luck with the rest and rehab.

• FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    I have been SO paranoid about an injury before the races :( But wasn't expecting it to be knees. And I really can't pinpoint what it likely is. If it hurt only when running that's one thing..

I was doing baths with epson salt and sitting on the lazy-boy at home but no ice. I have been taking Ipuprofin. Might start icing tonight (one more day at the office).

it irks me when i walk now too so i'm a tad scared this may be a long injury.

Next week is a bit of a mess for me but i decided to book an apt with another physio at the same clinic on Friday (in one week) and will rest in the meantime (which other than exercises I assume is what a physio would say). I"ll want an opinion on if I do the race on the 9th or not (but starting to think I am best to ditch the race on the 9th and work towards trying to get to the race on the 23rd which i care about more).

Sadly with rest means reduced daily calories (no exercise!!) plus we have two big dinner outs this week :P maintenance week it is! LOL

If you're dying on the calorie cut and you have a pool nearby you could try to swim a little? The water is very gentle on the joints usually and you can get a great burn plus it'll improve your running.
  • lililomo
    lililomo Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    i hope you can recover sufficiently on your own with ice and rest. after nearly 40 years of running i discovered with xrays that i had narrowing and sclerosis medially and at the patellofemoral joint of my left knee. so basically it's bone on bone. i probably wasn't running properly and didn't replace my shoes as often as i should have. i have several knee braces that i use for gym use and walking , as well as physio exercises when i have flare ups. i do obviously hope your issues are not to this extent, and wish you health and good luck in your recovery! <3
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Hope your better soon. I've been there too (still am there for another week or so), and being sad and benched from your activities is hard. The mental aspect of it is the worst.
    Rest up and if it continues, see a doctor to find out what it is so you don't make it worse and end up benching yourself for even longer.
    Good luck!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    Try KT tape as well. The full knee support really helps when my arthritis acts up.

I have bad knees... the tape, and if that's not available a wrap works well for me. Give it a try after you rest a while.
  • Panini911
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Trying not to panic and assume it means weeks (mts?) off runing :open_mouth: My biggest concern is it didn't hurt while running (well the one run yesterday) but that it isn't comfortable since the run, so that has to be a bad sign :pensive:
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    I'm sure some rest and stretching will do the trick. How old are your shoes, maybe time for replacements?

Shoes are fairly new. less than 6mts and I hvave two pairs I run in.

I see my physio on Tuesday (was able to get an earlier apt) so I'll take it easy for the weekend then hopefully he can give me some solid guidance on diagnosis and recovery plan. He is a runner as well. I will confirm based on what he says if swimming and such are appropriate (my friend suggested cycling; which set off my neck but if I get my own bike and get it fitted maybe that'll work). I will also ask about taping/support (I assume this will depend what the issue is). I know he will give me exercises as needed (I saw him from elbow/neck issues).

sarjenki wrote: »
    Hope your better soon. I've been there too (still am there for another week or so), and being sad and benched from your activities is hard. The mental aspect of it is the worst.
    Rest up and if it continues, see a doctor to find out what it is so you don't make it worse and end up benching yourself for even longer.
    Good luck!
    How long have you been benched so far? Resting WILL be hard. If i get the all clear for long walks at least that will help on that front. I took this seriously from day 1 in efforts of getting ahead of it VS pushing and then being off longer. If at all possibly i'd love to at least make my sept 23rd race. Missing the one on the 9th sucks but not the end of the world.

I feel your pain.

Quite literally in my left knee. 🤨

Good luck with the rest and rehab.
    Thanks!

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Rest and alternating warm/ice till you see your physio. Fingers crossed its not anything serious on Tuesday
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    sarjenki wrote: »
    Good luck!
    How long have you been benched so far? Resting WILL be hard. If i get the all clear for long walks at least that will help on that front. I took this seriously from day 1 in efforts of getting ahead of it VS pushing and then being off longer. If at all possibly i'd love to at least make my sept 23rd race. Missing the one on the 9th sucks but not the end of the world.

I had a snow skiing wipeout back in march that tore an ACL. Up until the surgery I was still allowed to go to spin and do yoga, but not running. Since having it reconstructed in June, I've only been walking (no limit to how much) and doing the lower body strength and balance work prescribed by the physio.
    I'm at the stage now where the knee has been feeling pretty good for several weeks, which makes me want to get back to spinning and yoga, but I know I need to wait on clearance from the orthopedic surgeon. Hopefully, I'll get that next week. If it's anything like the other ACL I had fixed, it may be a while before I get back to running though, bc last time it took a while before it didn't hurt to run, even though I was cleared for it. I'm not planning on tearing any more ligaments any time soon...
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    I know that knee pain. Right where you describe. I get cortisone shots every 3 months. Osteoarthritis in the knee.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    My knee will ache at the oddest moments. Sometimes, a bike ride or easy jog will actually make it feel better. Go figure!

In any case, don't dispair: a little rest, ice, ibu, and stretching can work wonders. You may be pleasantly surprised!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I deal with mild knee pain after aggressive downhill runs. I feel your pain!
  • Panini911
    Options
    really freaking out now :( icing and resting but feel it walking. i am starting to fear some very bad news.

physio on Tuesday...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    really freaking out now :( icing and resting but feel it walking. i am starting to fear some very bad news.

physio on Tuesday...

I had a very painful knee, it was ligament damage caused by muscle imbalance... sounded scary but actually was relatively easy to fix with physio, rest and better stretching.

Try not to worry too much till you have a proper diagnosis
  • Panini911
    Options

physio on Tuesday...

I had a very painful knee, it was ligament damage caused by muscle imbalance... sounded scary but actually was relatively easy to fix with physio, rest and better stretching.

Try not to worry too much till you have a proper diagnosis

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I need them. I know it's pointless to worry until I know but I am in an absolute funk this weekend :(