Big Decision, Scared!

Options
5'8 22y Female
I started on here in Feb 2018 at 259LBS, I've been on 1200 calories since then (31 Weeks) and lost 72lbs taking me down to 187lbs. I set my activity level to sedentary and eat back exercise cals that i manually input. MFP Goal currently set at losing 2lb/week.

I'm going away on a 2 week all inclusive holiday on the 17th September, and I'm really feeling run down and tired on 1200 calories recently, i'm planning a maintenance diet break when I go away in 16 days time but i feel that I need something sooner.
I made the decision to drop my rate of loss to 1.5lbs per week and MFP has given me 1320 calories.

I've been doing this for so long, so consistently that I'm afraid to eat more and slow my progress to a halt! I have PCOS too which is also an issue as apparently women with pcos need a few hundred less calories than normal women? Not sure how medically correct that is but apparently that's why it becomes harder for women with the condition to lose weight?

My goal weight is around 161-165lbs (This would put me in the healthy BMI range).

Should i have dropped the rate of loss sooner?

Should I drop it at all?

When should I drop to 1lb/week loss?

This is the first time I have gotten this far/been this successful with my weight, Its all new to me and super confusing! Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thankyou.

Replies

• LaurenMT96
    LaurenMT96 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thanks @bernadettenz :) And yes @pinuplove I haven't taken a maintenence break yet, i'm very much looking forward to it but also aprehensive of the gain that will inevitable come along with it! and @sarahthes I average my net calories weekly (usually going over at weekend and staying under during the week) usually averaging out around 1070-1170 which is why i probably feel tired.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    Options
    Great job! You’ve done fantastic these past several months. I second everything @pinuplove said. Enjoy your vacay! :smile:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It might be better to ease up a bit now in order to spare yourself from burn out later.
  • LaurenMT96
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I've only had these thoughts recently as last week in the UK it was bank holiday monday and me and my partner went abit mental basically ate whatever we wanted and the next day (tuesday) the scale shot up by 8lbs! it was all gone by this morning but i'm afraid that if one day of indulgence can do that what will happen after 12 days all inclusive in Egypt lol! :s
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to worry. You'll likely continue to lose weight, it'll just be at a slower pace, and dropping your rate now might get you in the mindset of accepting and being comfortable with a slower rate of loss. You've been doing this for a long time, so you may have settled into a pattern of eating that's working for you, and even on the holiday you may find yourself choosing more nutritious foods naturally. Even if you don't, you won't undo the great success you've already achieved. Slower weight loss is still weight loss. As for your PCOS, I would ask your doctor, or look for an online PCOS forum (there'll probably be one on here) and ask people there. Enjoy your holiday!
  • LaurenMT96
    Options
    Aww thanks so much everyone this advice has all been great, and amazing MFP community always calms down my irrational thoughts and fears! I think i had it set in my head that i would lose 2lb every week all the way until goal but obviously it doesn't work like that for everyone, including me :D
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    LaurenMT96 wrote: »
    Aww thanks so much everyone this advice has all been great, and amazing MFP community always calms down my irrational thoughts and fears! I think i had it set in my head that i would lose 2lb every week all the way until goal but obviously it doesn't work like that for everyone, including me :D

I wish that was the case! I'd be at goal by now if I kept the same rate of loss as my first week! :smiley:
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Read through this article, OP. It explains a lot about scale fluctuations.

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options
    LaurenMT96 wrote: »

This is extra true if - as you say in your OP - you're "really feeling run down and tired on 1200 calories recently".

Fatigue can lead to less daily-life activity, and possibly lackluster workout intensity, reducing your total daily calorie burn (TDEE). You don't want that.

Taking a maintenance break is a good plan, as is increasing your daily intake. Tapering weight loss rate into maintenance has several potential advantages:

* Less fat on your body means less fat available to metabolize; continued fast loss rate increases risk of losing unnecessarily much lean tissue.

* You gradually move to maintenance calories, allowing you to "practice maintenance" as you go along.

* Adding a few calories at a time (rather than a big jump to maintenance) makes it psychologically easier to add enjoyable but nutritionally useful tweaks to your eating with those extra calories, rather than being tempted to add a single every-day mega-treat that isn't very nutrient dense. (I'm not saying treats are bad; I'm saying daily nutrition as the main focus is good.)

* Adding gradually allows you to fine-tune your estimated maintenance calorie intake with lower risk: If you add 500 daily calories at once and totally overshoot, you could gain up to a pound of fat in a week. If you're gradually adding 100 every couple of weeks or so, and overshoot, it would take over a month to gain that pound.

* Gradually adding calories helps avoid (hide, really) the scale jump some people see from glycogen replenishment water weight.

* Coasting slowly into maintenance may result in a little extra weight loss (couple pounds), putting you at the bottom end of a maintenance range to start, rather than at the top of a range (and you want it to be a range, or at least a ceiling).
  • AvandHK
    AvandHK Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    2 pounds per week is a lot specially later on when you don’t have much fat to lose so if you go for 1.5 it’s ok even if you stick with 1.5 or even 1 pound per week it might be a lot more beneficial to your health the process will be slower but healthier and better for your body
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Also remember that you don't actually have to eat 1320 each day. I upped my calories recently too and instead of doing them each day I lumped them all into Fri, Sat, and Sun. Your new goal is to increase your calories by 120 a day or 840 each week.

It really just depends on what makes you comfortable or what you might enjoy more. If daily suits you better go for it. I just thought I would mention you have options if you want to get creative.