Question, How did you lose your weight?

agrube1968
agrube1968 Posts: 132 Member
edited August 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I have seen so many success stories and before and after pics of people who have lost 40, 50, 100 or more lbs. and I am just curious how did you do it?

Did you follow low carb or Keto diet? Did you count calories? Weight Watchers? Some other plan? I'm still struggling with finding out what's going to work the best for me. I am successful with low carb but my only problem with it is finding side dishes; I am not a veggie person; about the only veggies I like are the ones you can't have on low carb (and you can only eat so much cottage cheese before you get burned out on it).

So I'm wondering if just counting calories would be the best thing for me. I could have anything I wanted (in moderation) so I wouldn't feel so deprived but then again I don't want it to be something that will set me up for failure. Does that make any sense? Maybe something more stricter would be better for me; I just don't know.

Anyway would love to have your input on how you lost weight; struggles you had along the way; how you over came those. How much you exercised (if any) and what types of exercise you did and how often. Thanks so much and sorry for so many questions!

Also please feel free to add me as a friend; I love making new friends on here!

Replies

• stewarm01
    stewarm01 Posts: 331 Member
    I'm seeing progress right now, only 9 weeks into my restart after 5 years. For context, 46 year old male, 5'9, started at 262 now at 225.

I switch up weekly after weigh ins on Saturdays. Low carb week, calorie counting one week, vegetarian one week, etc. But counting calories is best for me.

I also brisk walk 4 to 6 miles every day except Saturdays. I use this day as a free day (cheat day). I've done this the entire 9 weeks so I don't feel deprived and it gives me something to look forward to. Although I must admit, those 4 thousand calorie days are high, but worth it to me. Tomorrow is free day, yay. I think we're having Mexican food for lunch. Lol

Bottom line, you have to find what works best for YOU and be consistent.

• allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    edited August 2018
    You will lose weight by burning more calories than you eat. That being said, Weight Watchers was my tool to do this because for me, it was/is a sustainable way of eating less/exercising more. I couldn't stick to a meal plan that restricted any type of food, except maybe blood pudding and liver. I could refrain from them. What works is the plan you can stick to.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Diets (keto, WW, low carb, ALL of them) only work for weight loss to the extent they create a calorie deficit and you can stick with it.
    Eat what you want (what keeps you full, makes you happy, nourishes your body) within your calorie range and you'll lose weight.
    Some people feel better doing keto or low carb, so that helps them stay within their calorie goal.
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    Army prt 5 days a week (mobility, 4 for the core, and prep drill) i put a lot of effort into core exercises and pushups. On top of that i did a lot of HIIT on the spin bike (dripping ridiculous amounts of sweat). And last but not least portioning my food. Eventually became somewhat vegetarian....
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    I lost the majority of my weight just by counting calories and eating things that I like. That doesn't mean I could eat everything I wanted. If I wasn't going to starve I had to eat low calorie high volume foods. Culturaly I eat a Mediterranean diet with a lot of vegetables, but we cook vegetables much more than they do in the UK or US. I would NOT eat the raw vegetables they eat there so I understand people who don't like them. (We boil grean beans for example for at least 30-40mins and not 3mins.)

I've lost 30lbs so far. I started at 165lbs which was barely overweight for my 5'7. For the most of the time I didn't do any exercise and spent most of the time sitting with almost no walking even at home (several health issues). So I had very few calories to eat because I maintained at 1600cals.

I have about 10lbs left to lose and I can't lose them because I've been counting for 2.5 years (using a kitchen scale and everything) and I'm so tired of eating little that I just can't sustain even the smallest deficit. I've been losing and gaining the same 4lbs for more than 1 year and I just can't eat at a deficit or even at maintanance for long enough. So I don't know what solution to offer for this problem. I've started working out now and have more calories to ear but I don't know for how long I'll be able to do this before I'm back sitting...

Hope you find what works for you.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I lost my weight eating the same foods but in an overall calorie deficit for the week. My pattern was 2 very low calorie days and 5 days at maintenance calories which resulted in roughly 1lb/week weight loss.
    I calorie counted but not in a particularly accurate way, consistency was more my goal than absolute accuracy.

Exercised a lot (cycling and strength training mostly) and ate back my exercise calories the way this site is designed to be used. Exercise was and is about fitness, health and enjoyment for me with the nice bonus that I could lose (and subsequently maintain at goal weight) while eating a more generous amount of food than would be possible otherwise.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I counted calories and ate a bit less and started exercising on the regular...lost 40 Lbs over about 7-8 months. Maintenance for over 5 years with the exception of a little winter weight I put on every year.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited August 2018
    Every time I've consistently lost weight, I just counted calories and cut portion sizes. I have never followed a "diet" like keto, atkins etc. They have never appealed to me.

My exception would be probably 6-7 years ago I was drinking a 32 oz dr pepper every single day and when I stopped doing that i lost like 15 lbs with no other conscious changes lol. I was also very active though.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    I lost 50 pounds on Weight Watchers, but as stated by someone else above it was just calorie counting under the covers. I've maintained that weight for 18 years now and am currently just sticking with "eat what I like in amounts that satisfy me and keep me within my weight range". I am definitely out of the current fashion, as my carbs % can get as high as 60%, but it works for me. :)
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited August 2018
    65 pounds the mfp way; log it all and make it fit within your goal. Make very few exceptions to getting under goal that you don't correct by averaging across days. I made 2 - Thanksgiving and Christmas - and I still logged them.

ETA - I ate what I like and figured out the things I had to limit and/or not mix to stay under goal without too much effort. The way that happens is a lot of trial and error; I had some days where dinner had to be disappointingly small with nothing after.