Water Tablets - yes or no!

Options
I've been carrying water for the past couple of months that I just cannot seem to shift. Initially I put my fluffiness down to 'time of the month', but that's been and gone and it's still there! I haven't been training with the same intensity as before I competed, and I'm definitely not as strict with my food though still 90% clean. I'm feeling pretty down about it and considering taking water tablets short-term to see if they help. What do people think of them??

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend it in your situation. It's a diuretic, so all it's going to do is dump some water and potentially make you dehydrated - the issue being that once you stop taking them, whatever is making you bloated is probably going to make you bloated again. What's your current water intake like?
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Probably not a good idea, water pills that is. You say you are 90% clean, how is any salt represented in that? May be your calorie accountability is out a little for your current activity levels. Give yourself a hug, you may be being too hard on yourself. Have you allowed yourself the satisfaction of having taken part in the competition, regardless of where you came in the line up? You were there, which is more than many of us could manage.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    abs1970 wrote: »
    I've been carrying water for the past couple of months that I just cannot seem to shift. Initially I put my fluffiness down to 'time of the month', but that's been and gone and it's still there! I haven't been training with the same intensity as before I competed, and I'm definitely not as strict with my food though still 90% clean. I'm feeling pretty down about it and considering taking water tablets short-term to see if they help. What do people think of them??

It has nothing to do with water and everything to do with the bolded. If by "competing" you mean in a bodybuilding comp, you need to understand that gaining weight and fat is normal and healthy.
  • abs1970
    abs1970 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend it in your situation. It's a diuretic, so all it's going to do is dump some water and potentially make you dehydrated - the issue being that once you stop taking them, whatever is making you bloated is probably going to make you bloated again. What's your current water intake like?

Water intake has been good - probably a few litres a day.
  • abs1970
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Probably not a good idea, water pills that is. You say you are 90% clean, how is any salt represented in that? May be your calorie accountability is out a little for your current activity levels. Give yourself a hug, you may be being too hard on yourself. Have you allowed yourself the satisfaction of having taken part in the competition, regardless of where you came in the line up? You were there, which is more than many of us could manage.

I don't add salt to anything I cook or eat. Still logging what I eat, though not weighing religiously like I did. Give yourself a hug, you may be being too hard on yourself. Have you allowed yourself the satisfaction of having taken part in the competition, regardless of where you came in the line up? You were there, which is more than many of us could manage. So true - I am ridiculously tough on myself!!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Speak to your doctor before taking any water pills. There are medications that can cause water retention as well as medical issues that range from mild (like low magnesium) to severe. Even not eating enough protein can cause water retention.

OTC diuretics are fine if it is something that happens every once in a while (like if you bloat for a couple of days around your period) but if it is a regular thing, you should find the cause rather than treating the symptoms.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    You must give yourself time to value your achievements. You worked for it. When is your next competition? Will there be another, in any event, I'm sure you will feel much better in yourself if you were to tighten up your logging.

If you see your doctor because you are thinking diuretics because you feel bloated maybe consider talking about your being "ridiculously tough" on yourself too. Maybe a full medical might be in order. Take care of yourself and get to the bottom of this properly.
  • vollkornbloedchen
    vollkornbloedchen Posts: 2,243 Member
    Options
    @abs1970 :
    Just to make sure:
    The body in your avatar is yours?
    If so I'm really having a hard time getting the picture and the word "bloated" together.

If you are not in competition-mode your body is as close to perfect as it can be ...

Anyhow,
    better (and by far healthier if no medical indication is inclined) than water tablets is the good old cardio unit. Nothing removes water more effectively than sweating.
    See you on the spinning-bike
  • abs1970
    Options
    @abs1970 :
    Just to make sure:
    The body in your avatar is yours?
    If so I'm really having a hard time getting the picture and the word "bloated" together.

If you are not in competition-mode your body is as close to perfect as it can be ...

Anyhow, better (and by far healthier if no medical indication is inclined) than water tablets is the good old cardio unit. Nothing removes water more effectively than sweating.
    See you on the spinning-bike

It is absolutely all me in the pic. If you are not in competition-mode your body is as close to perfect as it can be ... thank you for this! :) I honestly think I suffer from body dysmorphia as I just don't see what everyone else does when I look in the mirror! I am starting up with conditioning again and having been getting a good sweat on in the gym so hopefully it'll help.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

you mean you are carrying more water than your competition weight, or more water than your 'normal' weight?
  • abs1970
    Options
    @TavistockToad more than my competition weight :# I know, I know competition weight and condition isn't sustainable!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    @TavistockToad more than my competition weight :# I know, I know competition weight and condition isn't sustainable!

Exactly.
  • abs1970
    Options
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Sounds like you need a new goal to focus on?
  • abs1970
    Options
    @TavistockToad I absolutely do. Since my competition I've felt at bit lost in the gym. Can't seem to get my motivation back and it's getting me down.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Are you thinking of competing again in the future? Otherwise do you have any particular fitness goals?
  • abs1970
    Options
    @sardelsa I wanted to compete again this year but the timing wasn't right with holidays etc. Possibly looking at next April if I can get my act together in time. I haven't had any goals in mind since competing earlier this year so I've kinda coasted. But....... my 48th :s birthday coming up middle of October and I plan to be lean again for it!!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    @sardelsa I wanted to compete again this year but the timing wasn't right with holidays etc. Possibly looking at next April if I can get my act together in time. I haven't had any goals in mind since competing earlier this year so I've kinda coasted. But....... my 48th :s birthday coming up middle of October and I plan to be lean again for it!!

you are lean currently.
  • abs1970
    Options
    @TavistockToad compared to some maybe, but it's how I feel and what I see in the mirror. I'm carrying more fat than I'm happy with. When I look back at pics of me a year ago I was much leaner & more disciplined with my food and training. I just need to get stop complaining and do something about it instead!