Are you gonna quit?

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
Just cleaned up my FL from people who have been inactive and always wondered why they quit. Hard times? Too tough? No plan? Unmotivated? Just winged it till they quit?

One thing that lean fit people do to stay on track is stay consistent. Practically everyone I've dealt with in my fitness career who can't lose weight, regain weight, see no results, etc. usually have one thing in common......................lack of consistency.

So think about why you joined. Is it just a trial? Is it for an event? Or do you plan to change your life FOR LIFE.

Carry on.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Still have a long way to go, not so much with weight loss but with body fat reduction and weight training/running/my fitness goals, but after coming this far there's no way I'm ever quitting or letting myself go back.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Almost one full year of daily logging. (August 30th)

Almost 50 pounds lost. (Currently 47 lost. I might even pull off 1lb per week for a year.)

Yeah, this consistency thing just might work. :wink:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    NEVER
    if you do not have your health, you have nothing.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I tried MFP 3 times before this last time, at which point it finally stuck and i stopped making excuses and started busting my *kitten* to get where I want to be. I am still working on my consistancy, but I honestly cant imagine myself ever going back to how I was before, I was so unhappy and didnt have the right mindset, friends, or tools to do things the right way.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I am finally tired of all the excuses and bullish!t I am committed for life
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    It's convenient as heck. I'm on the computer all the time, I'm working on losing weight for the long term, so why not track that loss on the thing I'm on a lot? xD
  • Skyebella27
    Options
    I'll be honest.....I have lost weight once before (about 3-4 years ago), but then I quit after 40 pounds (and of course gained it back plus 20 more). Yup, I quit.....wanna know why? I got lazy. Pure and simple...I was tired of having to exercise....I got frustrated that I couldn't go for wing night, then have pizza the next, then McDonalds, then throw a party. I gave up what I wanted most for what I wanted in the moment. I wanted to lose weight, but obviously not bad enough then to work at it until I was done. I obviously wanted the crap food more than the weight loss.

So while others will give different reasons for why they stopped, I quit....I gave up....and admitting that makes me feel powerful. Now I know the consequences of quitting, I hate the feeling of failure, I don't want to post a "why you quit" post, I want to be a success story :)
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I lose and regain the same 5 pounds over and over again so I can stay on MFP and talk to you fine people on a daily basis.

JUST KIDDING.

I am never going to quit. I may hit bumps in the road along the way, but I will never quit. Success is never a linear path, and that is why we must stay consistent.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'll be honest.....I have lost weight once before (about 3-4 years ago), but then I quit after 40 pounds (and of course gained it back plus 20 more). Yup, I quit.....wanna know why? I got lazy. Pure and simple...I was tired of having to exercise....I got frustrated that I couldn't go for wing night, then have pizza the next, then McDonalds, then throw a party. I gave up what I wanted most for what I wanted in the moment. I wanted to lose weight, but obviously not bad enough then to work at it until I was done. I obviously wanted the crap food more than the weight loss.

So while others will give different reasons for why they stopped, I quit....I gave up....and admitting that makes me feel powerful. Now I know the consequences of quitting, I hate the feeling of failure, I don't want to post a "why you quit" post, I want to be a success story :)
    Any success story I've heard had some failure along the way. Chalk it up to getting it out of the way now!

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • aalicia88
    aalicia88 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm at the point where its not even quitting anymore. This is my new lifestyle. I haven't had a soda in over a year and the one time I did, I got a headache. The fast food/greasy/high sodium foods all make me feel bloated and make my stomach hurt. It affects my night time workout. Its not quitting because I didn't give up the foods I love. The foods I love are just different from what they used to be. I'm not perfect though. Pastries are my weakness. I'll have a donut here, chocolate there. But it's all in moderation. I no longer eat the whole box of oreos in one sitting eek.. I can't believe I used to do that! O.o
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I've been on this journey since 2009, long before I joined MFP. The best part for me was when I realized (late 2012) it had become a permanent lifestyle and how much I love being the physically fit and active person I am today. I can now focus on fitness goals, not what the scale says. The improvement to my entire life is indescribable.

The benefits of being healthy and having so much energy is a constant reminder I'll never go back to how I was. The lessons learned along the way are invaluable.

Anyone can do this. Just put in the work.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Nope! Coming up on 1 year September 30th and aiming for 100lbs lost in that period. Used to quit all the time because I would starve myself and/or force feed myself miniscule quantities of so-called 'clean' food that I hated. I believed that I had to deny myself all the food I loved, so I failed over and over again. Not quitting this time because of all the common sense people I have met on here who taught me not fall off the wagon just because I over-ate or had some junkfood. I used to think that one lapse meant the whole diet was over, but after meeting so many super-successful, 'dirty' eaters, I have learned to eat in a way I find sustainable that includes ANY food I want, (portion controlled, of course, so that I always have an average weekly calorie deficit and factoring in some exercise).
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Preach.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I may get bored of MFP and find a different format, but I think for me I need the accountability and the recording.
  • robinellis
    Options
    i started on MFP in 2011 and lost 70 pounds but then i started a job where i lived in camp and wasn't able to get reliable internet so i stopped logging. I kept up the workouts and watching what i ate for a little while but without coming on here and logging daily i lost the drive to keep up all the hard work. so needless to say i gained back 80 pounds in the following year and now i am back here again and this time i think if i happen to have issues with internet again i will log on paper if i have to just to keep me consistent!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I've been on this journey since 2009, long before I joined MFP. The best part for me was when I realized (late 2012) it had become a permanent lifestyle and how much I love being the physically fit and active person I am today. I can now focus on fitness goals, not what the scale says. The improvement to my entire life is indescribable.

The benefits of being healthy and having so much energy is a constant reminder I'll never go back to how I was. The lessons learned along the way are invaluable.

Anyone can do this. Just put in the work.
    Yes you are consistent!

IDEA Fitness member
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    FOR LIFE! I even managed to keep my weight pretty much in check while being super sick, getting brain surgery to alleviate the symptoms, and the recovery from the surgery.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Nope! This is my new lifestyle!

I think the reasons people quit, is probably a variety of things, such as that they've been shoveled into that 1200 calories. They try eating like that for 1-3 weeks, and they feel like they're starving. Then they begin to realize how crappy they feel eating so little, and think about how much more "satisfied" they felt before. So they fall off the wagon and go back to their old habits. They treat it as a diet and not a lifestyle. They want the quick results. They're not 100% committed to changing their life.

All spoken from experience, btw ;) I can tell you with absolute certainty, before I came back here in June, I was NOT ready. Did I need to lose weight? Hell yes. But I was not mentally prepared to commit myself.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    quit? And have to spend all this time eating at a deficit AGAIN?

hell no.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    i can't say. it feels normal now to be here... post.. read.. interact.. as well as log and watch what I'm doing... but I'm not having terrific success but I don't think I'm going anywhere in the near future