Oatmeal/Snacks Ideas ❗️

Options
Snatchedd
Snatchedd Posts: 7 Member
edited September 2018 in Food and Nutrition
Hey Everyone❗️ My parents blessed me (yeah right) with nuts, seafood (minus fish), mushrooms and fruit allergies.. so I have quite a few restrictions! Do you mind sharing what you put in your oatmeal (outside of the listed allergies above)? Also — what other snacks can you recommend (that also don’t include the listed allergies above)? 🙏🏾 Thanks in advance as any healthy recommendations are appreciated❗️(I’m super new to this lifestyle so I need a bit of guidance😩) Btw, feel free to add me as a friend!

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    My most-used oatmeal recipe has one packet of Quaker Instant Maple & Brown Sugar, one packet Quaker Instant Original, 2 Special Dark Hershey's Kisses, 1 tablespoon unsweetened Cacao powder, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
  • Snatchedd
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Generally, the healthiest is to stick to meals and not snack - not because a meal schedule with small frequent meals is inherently unhealthy, but because snack foods are generally high in sugar and fat and low in nutrients (besides sugar and fat), and sitting down to eat regular meals is associated with having good routines, which is associated with reduced stress and better food choices overall. The appeal of snack foods is primarily their high fat and sugar content, so if you're going for "healthy snack foods", you will be looking for foods you would eat for a meal, and then you could just as well eat it as meals.

I make my oatmeal with salt, milk and water, and serve it with a pat of butter.

Makes sense! Thank You!
  • Snatchedd
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    My most-used oatmeal recipe has one packet of Quaker Instant Maple & Brown Sugar, one packet Quaker Instant Original, 2 Special Dark Hershey's Kisses, 1 tablespoon unsweetened Cacao powder, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.

Dark Hershey’s oh wow! Didn’t expect that one lol thank you!
  • mekelly
    mekelly Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I use cinnamon, honey or maple syrup to flavour my basic oatmeal recipe of oats, milk, and water. Sometimes I add chia seeds to make it thicker. Greek yoghurt is good for extra protein. I recently experimented with swapping cream cheese for yoghurt and it tastes like a cheesecake!
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal: cinnamon, water for base, Greek yogurt, and I know you said you’re allergic to fruit but I find most people are good with bananas and apples, so I’d add those as well!
    As for other snacks
    - hard boiled eggs
    - Cottage cheese
    - Crackers and some lunch meat
    - Lettuce wrap with tuna
    - Protein shake/smoothie
  • strongwouldbenice
    strongwouldbenice Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    My goto oats lately has been oats and chia seeds with water, then mix in hemp seeds and cottage cheese. Lumpy and thick and warm, I love it. I would probably add some sort of sweetener on top as well, if you aren't able to add berries or banana.
  • VictoriaTuel
    VictoriaTuel Posts: 1,604 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I eat oatmeal all the time! I never eat nuts because my best friend growing up was allergic to all of them, so all of mine are nut free. I'll make hot oatmeal I eat right away and cold overnight oats. As a basic recipe, 1 part oats + 2 parts coconut milk, a pinch of salt, and a little added sweetener (honey, maple syrup, brown sugar, etc.) is always delicious (I just realized I don't know if coconut would be a fruit/nut for allergies, but you could use whole milk or thicken the oatmeal with yogurt if it is)! I don't know if you're allergic to all fruits, but I usually add some sort of fruit to my oatmeal for a sweet burst. I added the fruits I normally add in parenthesis after the rest of the ingredients in case you're not allergic to them.

For hot oatmeal, I like milk, brown sugar and/or maple syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg (raisins). For overnight oats, I add 1 tsp chia seeds per 1/4 cup oats and 1/2 cup liquid (milk for me) with vanilla extract, honey, and greek yogurt (strawberries).

I also snack all. the. time. It works for me because for some reason eating makes me want to eat more :lol: Most of my snacks are just chopped up veggies though:
    -raw carrot coins
    -raw zucchini slices with dip of your choice (I love BBQ sauce)
    -raw bell peppers
    -roasted garlic parmesan asparagus spears
    -sliced tomato with cheese on top (are tomatoes a fruit you're allergic to?)
    -cherry tomatoes in balsamic vinaigrette (roasted or just raw)
    -greek yogurt mixed with maple syrup
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    oameal add-ins that aren't on your allergy list: dairy (milk, cream, yogurt, kefir, butter); seeds (chia, flax, hempseed hearts); sweeteners (sugar, honey, molasses); flavoring (cinnamon, vanilla extract, unsweetened powdered cocoa, mini chocolate chips); other (canned or fresh pumpkin or other winter squash -- botanically it's a fruit, but most people don't think of it as one for cooking, so I thought I'd throw it out there).

Snacks: deli meat; jerky; cooked bacon; hard-boiled eggs; bread, toast, english muffin, half-bagel, or rice cake with sunflower butter or cream cheese; veggies, pita, or other dippers of choice with hummus.
  • Snatchedd
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Use the oatmeal as a thickener for a protein drink and add in some of the WowButter or perhaps some Sunflower seed butter (if you can ensure it's safe from a dedicated facility, which is tough to find and expensive).

My wife is sensitive to nuts. It's hard to find oatmeal without nuts. I make a homemade granola for her (something really hard to find without nuts) by taking allergen free oats (around 3 cups of old fashioned oats), 2 to 3 TBS of Coconut Oil, a little Vegan Margarine (you could use butter), Maple Syrup and honey to taste with a pinch of salt. You have to play around with it to get it right but if you do it's amazing.

I put on parchment paper and bake at 300 for around 20 to 25 minutes. You could put seeds in it if you find safe ones.

She has a cow dairy allergy but can handle goat/sheep and A2/A2 dairy (a special variety of cow dairy). I make her parfaits at night after she works with plain or maple grass fed yogurt or coconut yogurt with the granola.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I fry 2-3 eggs in coconut oil (7 grams) and put it on top of steel cut oats. I keep the yolks runny so I can chop them up and stir it all together, season it with salt, and voila--delicious. I eat this probably 4-5 mornings a week. (I usually make 4 servings of oats at a time and then just reheat them each morning to cut down on prep time.) It's really filling and makes me happy because I like a big breakfast.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    My husband and I just found this recipe. We hadn't had savory oatmeal but wanted to try it because we both like oatmeal but sugary foods can be our downfall. We didn't have any za'tar do we used coming, garlic, and a little chili powder. It was really good!

https://healthynibblesandbits.com/savory-oatmeal-cheddar-and-fried-egg/
  • alicebhsia1
    alicebhsia1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    i like my oatmeal kind of plain with just cinnamon and brown sugar and a splash of milk or soymilk. some healthy snacks i like - a peeled celery stalk, boiled lima beans or edamame with a sprinkle of salt, chinese tea eggs, roasted chickpeas (Biena ranch flavor), couple slices of swiss cheese or a string cheese stick, morningstar farms veggie sausages, grape tomatoes with mozzarella cubes, yogurt, slice of oat bran bread with a little butter and a hint of jam...
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    My wife is sensitive to nuts. It's hard to find oatmeal without nuts.

Did you mean that it's hard to find oatmeal without nuts or granola without nuts? I'd be curious to know if Bob's Red Mill's plain oatmeal (not the stuff in the pre-measured cups) wasn't processed in a peanut/tree nut free facility. I would be a bit surprised if it wasn't given that I want to say the bulk of their oat products are processed in a purpose built gluten free facility.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    My wife is sensitive to nuts. It's hard to find oatmeal without nuts.

Did you mean that it's hard to find oatmeal without nuts or granola without nuts? I'd be curious to know if Bob's Red Mill's plain oatmeal (not the stuff in the pre-measured cups) wasn't processed in a peanut/tree nut free facility. I would be a bit surprised if it wasn't given that I want to say the bulk of their oat products are processed in a purpose built gluten free facility.

I'm pretty sure I've checked it and it was processed in a nut facility. Better Oats Organic is the one we use. I've given up on finding a granola that's not processed on the same equipment as nuts. Luckily, my wife isn't as allergic as the OP. That would be very, very tough. I feel for all the kids with nut allergies. The rest of us take that stuff for granted.

Finding sunflower seeds is really tough too. Nearly all (including Sunflower butter) are also processed in facilities with nuts or on shared equipment.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I go very simple with my oatmeal and this is one of my favorite staples. I cook with water, add cinnamon, nutmeg, and a tsp of honey.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I sometimes make 'oatcakes' - which is milled oats, a very small amount of melted butter mixed with water - rolled out thin and cooked in a very slow oven. A Scottish savoury biscuit usually used as a biscuit for cheese.

I sometimes add parmesan

I sometimes add eg raisins or chocolate, cinamon and a sugar/stevia mix - or ginger. (Or whatever subs suit your allergies)

My point is oats can make a good snack too!