IS IT TIME TO STOP BULKING? (Pics included)

Options
Stats January:
6’0
170lb
Never measured body fat but by that pic I included definitely under 12%

Stats now (September):
6’0
206lb
Not sure about b.f.

Really proud of the strength and muscle I gained, but I get pretty embarrassed without a shirt on, something that wasn’t a problem for me before. Is this just part of bulking I take it? Would now be a good time to start cutting? And if so, tips? I wanted to wait to cut till I felt like I added quality muscle. People are telling me I look a lot bigger, but idk personally I still feel like I don’t have enough muscle on my frame.

Replies

• J_Fairfax
    J_Fairfax Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I would say it's time to cut, you've added 36 lbs in 8 months or so, you'll be lucky if 10lbs of that is lean muscle.

Your strength goes up when you have more total mass, which is one of the reasons why you see strength gains with a higher body fat percentages. It's a reasons why powerlifters are often carrying a decent amount of body fat, it helps their leverages and their lifts.

I don't have much advice for cutting beyond keep your protein intake high, to preserve as much of the muscle mass that you have gained.

Good luck!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    You look great and I definitely see progress with your physique. Most people do not reach their goal in one bulk cycle, it can take many cycles and many years to get the muscle base and size they want.

You did really well with your gain, so I would cut, then run another bulk when you lean out again.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I'm with the others. Time to cut.
  • wallyr1
    wallyr1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yeah 36lb gain is gonna be primarily fat and some water retention, but I’d start a cut. What were your cals at above maintenance? I would have done a leaner bulk. What program were you running. Not trying to sound rude or mean, but for 8 months of bulking, it seems as you could have spent time more wisely/ seen more optimal results

Ive been doing a PHUL routine a found on muscle strength. Lifting ~6 days a week, focusing on compounds lifts.
    As for diet, I started at 3K and slowly increased. The last 3-4 months though I stopped tracking. I started seeing good results and noticed that the more I ate the more my lifts went up, so I let myself get messy after that.
    Yeah I get I added excess fat, but I still feel I made some pretty solid results. My PR on bench went from 185lb to 250lb, so the strength gains are there.

I think transitioning to a cut is a good idea, but I don’t wanna go overboard and end up losing the muscle I put on. What’s a good way to gauge what calories I should get back to? And for how long/ how much weight per month should I be expecting to loose at the most? When’s a good time to stop cutting too?
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Grambo54 wrote: »
    Bulking up to gain muscle is counter productive and slows down muscle gain. Sorry, Its not effective, you dont feel better for doing it and it impedes progress. The bulk just slows you down, stifles recovery, and your digestive system uses so much energy to metabolize all that food, energy that should go into building muscle. Yeh Ive done it many times and know better now. One day you have to lose all that fat man! The best gains I made was when I was slightly leaner than felt comfortable. I know, your weights drop, but the only reason you are lifting those weights is that you have mass, not strength. Lose that mass and see what happens to the so called strength. A 300 pound man can push a car by himself, not because hes strong, he has weight/bulk/mass behind him. A skinny guy who can squat 350 pounds can push the car just as well and will push it twice as far, because he has strength, and fitness. Dont bulk up. Over time I guarantee it slows down your gains. Oh, if you want to cut efficiently, start running or cycling every 3rd or 4th day.

Who's recommending bulking up to 300 pounds? Bulking and cutting are cycles. If you aren't crazy and a natural, a moderate or a lean bulk to a reasonable body fat percentage and then a cut to keep you in a fairly optimal partitioning zone is the fastest way to add muscle. The only other option is a recomp - which is extremely slow and fairly useless if you are well below your target weight. Do you think that everybody is ok with being "skinny but strong"? Some people have a goal of being more than just "strong" - although I'd contend that a dude pushing 20% body fat that can squat 500# is significantly stronger than someone, regardless of how skinny they might be, that can only squat 350.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Well, you have more courage than myself for bulking (we have very similar stats & frames).
    Not going to lie, being on the tall side, it's going to take many years of lifting to have that look of a complete frame as opposed to being labeled "lanky" (tough being tall)

I would also vote for "cut". Maybe be a bit more conservative on bulking next time (15-20lbs max)? The few times in my life I've bulked, I could only tolerate up to 185-190lb range (did not like how clothes felt/fit, chest and back started getting fat, just felt slow/less agile, & unhealthy)
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Quick google. Arnold, 7 times Mr Olympia knows a thing or two. And the advice holds for anyone the same today as yesterday. You bulkers are just slowing down your gains.

Arnold: “One hint I can give is not to ‘bulk up,’ or let yourself put on a lot of extra fat weight during your training that will only have to be dieted off for the contest. Bodybuilders are apt to do this because being heavier makes them feel bigger, but this is an illusion— that extra weight is not working muscle and it does them no good whatsoever.”

Oh and I didnt say bulk up to 300 pounds or be happy with skinny but strong. Talk about taking a simple illustration out of context!

Unless your also a juicer don’t take advice from juicers. Nattys do need to run bulk and cut cycles to add significant lean mass over a long period of time. But clean or slow bulk is typically optimal
  • Grambo54
    Grambo54 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    :-) For sure, for some people, with certain metabolisms it works. 15 pounds is probably 4-5 pound of muscle gain depending on how long youve been lifting. And pushing weights, as well as adding muscle are a great shaping tool too.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Quick google. Arnold, 7 times Mr Olympia knows a thing or two. And the advice holds for anyone the same today as yesterday. You bulkers are just slowing down your gains.

Arnold: “One hint I can give is not to ‘bulk up,’ or let yourself put on a lot of extra fat weight during your training that will only have to be dieted off for the contest. Bodybuilders are apt to do this because being heavier makes them feel bigger, but this is an illusion— that extra weight is not working muscle and it does them no good whatsoever.”

Oh and I didnt say bulk up to 300 pounds or be happy with skinny but strong. Talk about taking a simple illustration out of context!

Good job referencing someone who’s test levels were probably 6000+.....

You totally meant "over 9000!!!"...ng/dL that is

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options

Good job referencing someone who’s test levels were probably 6000+.....

You totally meant "over 9000!!!"...ng/dL that is

Exactly why I put the “+” sign