Macronutrients/ intermediate fastin

Options
I have been practicing the Intermediate fasting for a good while now. I really try hard to eat in a 7 hour window. That part has not been to difficult but trying to keep tabs on the macronutrients is killing me. Like to hear others go about tracking their macronutrients. Any advice would be great!

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Planning helps. If a certain macro is problematic for you, first look to see if you've set it too high or too low (depending if your problem is not eating enough of it or overeating it). After that, plan your meals around that macro. Planning really helps when it comes to macronutrients.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    What specifically are you having trouble with? Tracking macros on IF should be the exact same as if you weren't doing IF - you're just eating them within a specific time window.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    If you want to track macronutrients, set your food diary to display all of them - fat, protein and fat. If you find it stressful, keep in mind that tracking macros is supposed to make your life easier and more enjoyable, so if you think of it just another additional task, don't bother.

And likewise, even if it's "not too difficult" to eat in a 7 hour window, it also has no benefits beyond making your life easier and more enjoyable, so I wouldn't sweat it.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    In addition to what others said above, there is a hierarchy of importance with macros. No.1 hit protein. No. 2 hit a minimum of .3 grams of fat per lb of body weight. The rest doesn't matter. Do whatever you prefer. I fill the rest with mostly carbs.

I also have done IF for a long time and am not really clear on what the issue is that you are experiencing. I don't find hitting macros based on the hierarchy above difficult at all. More detail would help us to give more specific ideas.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    If you aren't well acquainted with what foods to eat, here's what I do:

Each meal or snack I get some protein, fat, and carbs. To do that:
    Each meal or snack I have meat, eggs, dairy and/or beans or whole grains for the protein. I have my protein set at 100g per day, so I spread that out over the day.Then I make sure I'm getting some fat with that. How you do that is up to you. You can google foods with fats and protein. Then I have vegetables and/or fruit with every meal or snack.

If you do a little studying on your FOOD page you'll start understanding how to eat. It does take a little time if you've never done it.

Here's that famous Food Pyramid - it can be a starting point. Honestly in weight-loss mode I never ate more than two or three servings of bread, pasta, grains (or starchy vegetables like potatoes.) That was the thing I cut to save calories.
    FGPLargeGIF.gif
  • GetFitFix
    GetFitFix Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow! You all have given some great information. I was not aware of the.3 grams of fat per body lbs. I have to do a better job in planning. It seems like never reach the protein. Although carbs and fat is always met and some times go over. Thanks again!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    GetFitFix wrote: »
    Wow! You all have given some great information. I was not aware of the.3 grams of fat per body lbs. I have to do a better job in planning. It seems like never reach the protein. Although carbs and fat is always met and some times go over. Thanks again!

Good guide here for setting your macros: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • GetFitFix
    GetFitFix Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!