Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Scale Discussion

I am very happy with my scale and thought I would share. I know it’s not for everyone so I thought others could give their recommendations as well.

I have been using the Etekcity VeSyncFit ($40 Amazon). It’s digital and has an app to sync to. That app syncs directly to MFP. So easy!

Pros: automatic syncing; has body fat, muscle, etc.; app has neat features to look at progress.
Cons: scale seems to be off by 3lbs compared to my doctor’s office

Now I know the measuring of body fat, muscle, bone, etc. isn’t 100%. I don’t really focus on that. Even the scale isn’t my main focus. It’s clothing size and fit for me. And how I feel.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Its great you're happy with your scale but none of them record fat/muscle accurately.
    And you're right, it is more about how clothes fit etc. Thanks for sharing :smile:
  • Shay1526
    Shay1526 Posts: 1 Member
    How do you think the vsyncfit app to the MyFitnessPal app? I have the etekcity scale too & for some reason it's not working & the vesyncfit app doesn't show up when I search on MFP
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Is it possible to calibrate the scale? You could test it with dumbbells of known weight to see if it is correct.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,131 Member
    edited February 2020
    You should do the dumbbell test with you on top of the scale, and if the dumbbells don't fit on your kitchen scale you have no way to double check that the weights are correct in the first place (they don't tend to always be)

Reason is that sensors can be tuned to be more accurate in certain ranges, and a sub 40lb weight may be too light for a scale tuned in the 100-200lb range.

That said my same brand scale weights 1642g (3.62lbs) on my kitchen scale and tares 3.6 lbs most of the time and 3.4 very occasionally, which increases my general confidence that it actually measures the tare and does an accurate enough job determining it!

It does exhibit fake consistency, i.e. same number during multiple weight ins in a row, which it doesn't do at the low level of the tare.

The body composition stuff, in spite of the level of detail... remains questionable. At least it's closer to reality than the fantasy my original FitBit Aria was selling!!!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    If I step on our scale and then pick up 10 lbs of weight and step back on, it reads exactly 10 lb more. However ours is a bit wonky the first time you step on it. Zero it, fine, step on, it says a weight. Step off. Scale tuns off. Zero it and step on again. Now you are evaluated one pound lighter. All subsequent steps will give you exactly that second weight. So before I weigh the cat to check his growth, I have to step on it twice by myself. Yeah, it's kind of cheap.