Losing weight and mattress firmness

Options
So, I've noticed as I've been losing and the lighter I get that my mattress is less and less comfortable. I have a foam mattress (tuft & needle) that is pretty firm support. We liked it for it's firm support when we bought it. Also we cosleep, and when our baby was young we could not have a fluffy topper or pillow top.

But now I am frequently uncomfortable and find my arms numb almost no matter how I lay. This used to happen on occasion if I lied down wrong, but not it is multiple times a night most nights.

I am considering a topper. But I am at a loss as to what would be the best kind. Foam? Feather? Latex? Polyfil? Does it matter? I think from my research 1-2" would probably do the trick (especially considering my husband likes it firm still), but I'm not sure.

Anyone else have this problem side effect of losing weight?

Replies

• wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I can't help you as far as picking a topper or mattress. We did just buy a new Sleep Number bed, but I'm still not used to it so I can't give much of an opinion. HOWEVER, yes, I've lost 72 pounds and find I am overall more uncomfortable on any surface. I had to buy a cushion to use in the tub, my butt bones hurt! I frequently have minor hip pain from bumping into things in ways that never hurt before but now do.
    The bed was awful. My left arm falls asleep and my hip bones hurt from laying down. Now the adjustablilty of my bed helps a bit but I'm still trying to figure it all out, since losing weight it seems each night is uncomfortable in a different spot.
    That said it sure beats having that extra 72 pounds on me! I hope you find a solution soon!
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'd get foam (or see if you can try out the alternatives somehow). Since you co-sleep latex might get too hot and it would be horrible to find out your baby is sensitive to latex
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    wmweeza wrote: »
    I'd get foam (or see if you can try out the alternatives somehow). Since you co-sleep latex might get too hot and it would be horrible to find out your baby is sensitive to latex

We used natural latex pacifiers when he was younger (he's over 1 year old now) with no issues. But after research, latex is probably out of our budget.

Right now I'm looking at a 2" memory foam egg grate hybrid type (on Amazon). Seems a little more breathable than regular solid memory foam (because of the shape?) and not too deep so it's not too soft. Still researching though.

Yeah, my sit bones get sore from sitting on hard chairs too much now, like the pews at church. I can really feel my bones on hard things. I didn't lose a ton of weight (only 30lbs) but enough to go from the obese BMI to normal, so the whole overweight range.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I had the same problem. Got a 3 inch Novaform topper from Costgo which solved it - it's the "cool gel" kind so it's not quite as hot in the summer. Edited to add - I have a mattress pad on it and so there is no issue with latex or other allergies. I have used egg crate in the past but it was too hot and didn't feel right.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Have a talk with your doctor.
    There was a post earlier this year and someone was having a similar problem. It came down to joint, ligament, nerve, etc having to realign/settle into a body with less fat shrouding them.
    (Can't remember all the science that is why I saiid talk to your doc)

It may not help, but it may give you coping strategies.

Doing some kind of resistance training, or lifting, if you are not already, may help support you as you are sitting or lying.

Sorry can't recommend a topper.

Cheers, h.
  • ExistingFish
    Options
    I have my annual physical Tuesday. I'll mention it.

I'm pretty sure it's the firm mattress, as it only happens when I lie certain ways with my arms under me (like on my side or stomach).

I lift moderate and heavy (for me) 3x a week for the past 6 months.

Occam's razor and what not, less padding on me probably means I need more padding on the mattress to feel comfortable.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options

We used natural latex pacifiers when he was younger (he's over 1 year old now) with no issues. But after research, latex is probably out of our budget.

Right now I'm looking at a 2" memory foam egg grate hybrid type (on Amazon). Seems a little more breathable than regular solid memory foam (because of the shape?) and not too deep so it's not too soft. Still researching though.

Yeah, my sit bones get sore from sitting on hard chairs too much now, like the pews at church. I can really feel my bones on hard things. I didn't lose a ton of weight (only 30lbs) but enough to go from the obese BMI to normal, so the whole overweight range.

The one star reviews would disqualify that topper for me. https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B01H2N2FQO/ref=acr_dpx_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&showViewpoints=0
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    I had the same problem. Got a 3 inch Novaform topper from Costgo which solved it - it's the "cool gel" kind so it's not quite as hot in the summer. Edited to add - I have a mattress pad on it and so there is no issue with latex or other allergies. I have used egg crate in the past but it was too hot and didn't feel right.

I have a dense and durable memory foam topper, but it's hot, so next time I'm in the market will be looking for the "cool" style. Right now I'm making do with having the mattress pad, two heavy towels, and the top sheet in between me and the topper.

Hmm, I have a super thick wool and cotton comforter - I wonder if I put that underneath me if it would insulate me from the topper? I don't get to use it on top of me in the winter anymore as my OH won't let me turn the heat low enough to need it.
  • ExistingFish
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

The one star reviews would disqualify that topper for me. https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B01H2N2FQO/ref=acr_dpx_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&showViewpoints=0

But 84% of the reviews are 4 or 5 stars. The ones I read were all about it coming apart. I did read (in the 4 and 5 star reviews) that it is soft and did tear when they pulled on it (on the edge) so I understand it is a soft foam. It isn't the rugged foam you get in the cheap walmart egg crates, it's a more delicate but more comfortable foam. It has a crap ton of good reviews and only a small portion of negative ones.

What makes you give more weight to the 11% of one and two star reviews than the 84% good ones?
  • ExistingFish
    Options
    If I had the budget, I'd get a wool topper. But I don't, so....
  • kshama2001
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

But 84% of the reviews are 4 or 5 stars. The ones I read were all about it coming apart. I did read (in the 4 and 5 star reviews) that it is soft and did tear when they pulled on it (on the edge) so I understand it is a soft foam. It isn't the rugged foam you get in the cheap walmart egg crates, it's a more delicate but more comfortable foam. It has a crap ton of good reviews and only a small portion of negative ones.

What makes you give more weight to the 11% of one and two star reviews than the 84% good ones?

I buy a lot of stuff on Amazon and always look at both 5 and 1 star reviews. Amazon sellers often nag buyers to review immediately, so many reviews may have been left before problems have time to occur. Often posters don't bother to come back and update their reviews. I'm looking at the first page of 5 star reviews and see no indication that any of the reviewers have had it for more than a few weeks.

In this case, I see disqualifying issues in both 5 and 1 star reviews - the strong smell, and that it easily ripped.

In general, when there is a small but significant percent of one star reviews, I think about how likely this issue would be to happen with me, how annoyed it would make me, and if it would be better to buy locally so that it if it did happen it would be easier to return.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I noticed that you were concerned about the mattress toppers with the exposed latex deteriorating. I totally understand not wanting to pay for something that's just going to crumble as you use it. Have you considered just buying or making a washable cover either for just the foam topper or for both the topper and your mattress? I have some memory foam pillows in covers that I put in pillowcases. The cover just acts as the outer layer of the pillow. The pillowcase protects the pillow from getting dirty, but you can still remove the cover and wash it if you accidentally spill something on it.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    We got a mattress in a box with a memory foam topper, and it is the most comfortable thing I have ever slept on, it's divine. Hubby and I are both relatively small people, so we get quite a lot of life out of soft top mattresses, and looooove them. It's like sleeping on a cloud. I was very dubious about the whole mattress in a box thing - but it's honestly the best mattress I've ever had. Pro tip - don't sit on top of it while slicing the packaging open! It uncurled QUICKLY and I was thrown across the room. Which my kids thought was the funniest thing they'd ever seen...
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

Are you sure that this is a safe option if you plan to continue cosleeping? I loved cosleeping and my dr was very supportive, but I remember she insisted that we should use a firm mattress, even with older toddlers, not just a newborn.
  • kimothyschma
    kimothyschma Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    We got a mattress in a box with a memory foam topper, and it is the most comfortable thing I have ever slept on, it's divine. Hubby and I are both relatively small people, so we get quite a lot of life out of soft top mattresses, and looooove them. It's like sleeping on a cloud. I was very dubious about the whole mattress in a box thing - but it's honestly the best mattress I've ever had. Pro tip - don't sit on top of it while slicing the packaging open! It uncurled QUICKLY and I was thrown across the room. Which my kids thought was the funniest thing they'd ever seen...

What brand was it? I need a new mattress, too, and I'm interested in this!