Low carb / keto queations

Options
Hello I am just starting out but I have always lost weight by watching my calories and fat intake. But I think the low carb diet sounds like I would have more foods that I like making it easier to stick to. I just can’t wrap my head around that you can eat such high fat stuff and still lose weight ( cheese, cream cheese, bacon)? I’m just nervous I will gain back what I lost so far. I have 80 pounds more to lose. hOw much fat should I eat in a day? How many carbs

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    If the foods on a keto diet are more satisfying to you and help you stick to your calorie goal, it can be a helpful strategy. But it still comes down to consuming less calories than you expend. You could also just eat the foods you enjoy within the context of an overall balanced diet, while staying within your calorie goals.

You'd lose the same amount of weight eating 1500 calories of cheese, cream cheese and bacon as you would eating 1500 calories of broccoli, chicken breast and kale. The difference is that cheese, cream cheese and bacon are much more calorie dense, so you'll have to eat smaller quantities of them to stay within your calorie goal.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    You can eat high fat foods PROVIDED you are at a calorie deficit. Weight loss is always about creating a calorie deficit. Take in fewer calories than you burn and you lose weight....period.

Macros - protein, fat and carbs are merely preferences. Tweak the standard percentages My Fitness Pal gives you.........and stay within your calorie limits. Done
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    All weightloss diets and philosophies make you reduce calories. When you reduce fat, you reduce calories. When you reduce carbs, you reduce calories. But for any diet to work, it has to work for you. So you're smart if you pick or compose a diet that lets you eat the foods you like. It's aslo smart to not sweat the details too much.