If I compare to other calculation
https://www.calculator.net/body-fat-calculator.html I get 29%
RenPho scale I get 15%

I wonder wish one is right

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    What does the mirror say? Google fat body fat percent images.
  • hotel4dogs
    hotel4dogs Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Here's an interesting read, it's been in the news lately. Be sure to read it all the way through to see the chart interpreting the number.
    http://www.lchf-rd.com/2018/08/28/a-new-estimator-of-whole-body-fat-percentage/
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    hotel4dogs wrote: »
    Here's an interesting read, it's been in the news lately. Be sure to read it all the way through to see the chart interpreting the number.
    http://www.lchf-rd.com/2018/08/28/a-new-estimator-of-whole-body-fat-percentage/

Thanks for the link.

It gave me almost exactly the same as the last hand held I used - 20.5% (20.4516... from the calculation to be more specific). That's healthy but near the top of the healthy range. However, I turn 60 in less than 4 months and then I will be a more solidly in the healthy zone.

I think there are people it won't give good numbers. I have seen men as well as women with the"big booty" and small waist. There are the guys with the "man boobs". But I have reasonably average proportions, so it is probably accurate for me (if the claim about accuracy in the article is correct).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    albator80 wrote: »
    I wonder which one is right
    A photo would help.....

For me 15% is hint of abs, reasonable definition in arms and legs. Builtlean.com has sample pictures which give a guideline but the text descriptions are just as useful IMHO.
    "Body Fat Percentage Men 15%
    The 15% body fat level is usually within the “lean and fit” category in most body fat percentage charts. The outlines of muscle can be seen, but there is no clear separation between them. Vascularity is usually a bit more limited as are muscle striations, which are typically covered by a thin layer of fat. The overall shape is still there, which can create an aesthetic appearance despite less muscle definition."

The measurement based estimates online have always been wildly different and completely useless for me.
    I tracked my BF% during my weight loss phase with BodPod and a domestic 4 point BIA device and they gave reasonable numbers and trends but with some weird and wacky individual results.

When I got close to goal I simply looked in the mirror. A specific (and likely not even accurate) number has no relevance for me.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I just grabbed this image from google images. But as you can see @albator80 the difference between 15% and 29/30% is very dramatic.

In my experience electrical impedance scales are way sketchy in their results and optimistic for me.

It's tempting to go with the calculation/reading that the lowest to feel good about yourself but the number is fairly meaningless really. It's whats in the mirror most people care about.

BF-Male.jpg
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    I think I am at about 20%. This is a candid profile from yesterday. I was out paddling but this is while we were stopped (relaxed).dn67hxwfyhbd.jpg
  • alunbelmont
    alunbelmont Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    mines 12/.7
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I think I am at about 20%. This is a candid profile from yesterday. I was out paddling but this is while we were stopped (relaxed).dn67hxwfyhbd.jpg

You are less than 20%, more like 15%.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    @CarvedTones
    Quite a bit less than 20% IMHO.
    Well done.
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    @CarvedTones
    Well done.

Thanks. there is a little bit of a jiggly pouch in front that I think is largely loose ski. You can see it slightly creeping over the waist of my trunks in the front. My elbow shadow is helping to hide it. Some of what looks like defined muscles is wrinkles in it. Some is also muscle.
  • reversemigration
    reversemigration Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    One way in which a Higy station, scale BF estimator, etc may be useful is for trending. A single reading (like a single BP reading or other VS reading) doesn't give much information. However, if you use the same machine at the same time of day under consistent circumstances - not unlike when weighing oneself - it can begin to give you a trend.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    @CarvedTones
    Well done.

Thanks. there is a little bit of a jiggly pouch in front that I think is largely loose ski. You can see it slightly creeping over the waist of my trunks in the front. My elbow shadow is helping to hide it. Some of what looks like defined muscles is wrinkles in it. Some is also muscle.

Yo Carved. You look fantastic. I was gonna say for soon to be 60, but really you are way more lean than any of my 50 yo friends. Nice job. I do believe you might be a tad bit hypersensitive about your “jiggly pouch”. Keep paddling!!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,605 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Way less than 20%. Closer to 15% than anything IMHO. Wish my jiggly pouch was as small as your jiggly pouch!