What one thing

Options
Inspired you to change your behavior?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I was fed up with my stressful lifestyle - the constant hunt for junk food and the constant struggle to hide from the fact that I was slowly killing myself.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I knew that I can do it - now I am out to proof my point. 155 days gone, still going strong.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,941 Member
    Options
    I couldn't fit in a certain cycling jacket anymore. I looked at getting a larger size but discovered that the price had gone way up! It was either shell out nearly $300 for another one ... or lose weight.

I lost weight.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to be skinny anymore
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Fear. I thought I would die soon. Or maybe worse, have a debilitating stroke. We had 2 little kids.

I think CPAP saved my life. I wasn’t capable of clearheaded thinking before I got the CPAP. After some actual sleep, my situation became clear. I was in serious trouble.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    My size 14's were getting tight and I did not want to become a 16.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    I think like any big changes one day I just had enough and set out to make it happen. I always knew it was about calories so I looked for a free calorie counting website.

I landed here and very glad I did. :)
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    I've been an on and off dieter my whole life and when my 51st birthday rolled around and I was just as heavy as ever I got really mad at myself and I started to make changes. For me food issues goes all the way back to my childhood and losing weight is 90% mental. That has been the hardest part but I'm making strives towards freedom everyday. Yesterday, I wore a shirt that has been hanging in the back of my closet for 6 years. It was almost a little big on me. What a motivator!! :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Diabetes is a potent deterrent and I was very surely headed there with only a couple of points away from an official diagnosis. Since diabetes is not something you can solve and forget, I knew I needed something that is sustainable enough to help me avoid or delay it as long as possible, and that requires behavior modification. No quick fixes worth there.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Size 42 pants, 42!!! (now in 34's, goal 32)
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I remembered that when I was younger I could climb stairs without feeling like I was lugging an invisible 30 pound lead weight. Oh, and there was that picture of me at a BBQ where my head looked so tiny compared to the bulky body I had. That's 2 things, but it was that combo that got me going.
  • FireVixen_Fayth
    FireVixen_Fayth Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My wife and the fact I look absolutely gross
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,840 Member
    Options
    My dad has kidney failure and looked up transplant options. Bmi has to be under 30 to do it and I was at 40. Don't know if I'm a match but wanted to lose weight so that I could if needed. Now on this journey, it's nice to see the weight come off, feel better and healthier
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    For me it was finding (and then using) mfp. Previously I had lost weight several times, but always ended up regaining. Constant fluctuations between "on diet" or "healthy eating", to extremes, then life happening and I would falter. A period of time followed and I was "off diet". No longer even thinking about what foods or how much I was eating. Also stopped weighing both food and myself during these periods.

Then I found mfp; finally found the right tool to help me. Reading the forums, learning so much, the simplicity of what I needed to do. Daily logging "no matter what", ending of "dieting". Tracking nutrition/calories for health. Persistence and not perfection; an end to "all or nothing".
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Winter is coming, I have tons of jeans, it's just that none of them fit. Initial goal get down to 199 (25lbs to go). Then 10lbs at a time from there until I get down to 170. Then ALL my clothes would fit properly again
  • besmith11
    besmith11 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My nieces (15 & 4) said that I was not fun anymore because I couldn't play with them. They asked me if I loved them still. Broke me to pieces. I am now 24 lbs. down with 76 to go.