Nutritious Porridge Ideas?

Options
2»

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Another vote for protein powder - whichever flavor you want - gives it taste as well as ups the protein!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    peanut butter and chocolate drops for me!

I would love to add peanut butter to things like porridge (I've just bought a really nice peanut butter with cocoa and coconut) but how do you get it to mix? It's so sticky!

Just mix it in with a fork. You're not trying to do this with cold porridge are you? Easier hot, for millet and peanut butter anyway.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    NadNight wrote: »
    I'm looking for some new flavour combinations for my porridge and was wondering if anyone had any ideas! So far I have:

Forest fruits, almond and honey
    Banana, walnut and chocolate (well, cacao powder but it's chocolately with extra nutrients)
    Apple, nuts and cinnamon
    Maple and pecan
    'Carrot cake' with carrots, walnuts, and a touch of spices and dash of brown sugar

As others have suggested, add something to boost the protein count - protein powder, Greek yogurt, egg, etc.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    peanut butter and chocolate drops for me!

I would love to add peanut butter to things like porridge (I've just bought a really nice peanut butter with cocoa and coconut) but how do you get it to mix? It's so sticky!

Just mix it in with a fork. You're not trying to do this with cold porridge are you? Easier hot, for millet and peanut butter anyway.

Ah yes, that's probably my problem - I soak my oats overnight and have it cold!
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I like cream of rice with a mashed up banana and peanut butter or PB 2.
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite will always be oats cooked in a saucepan with brown sugar then add a fresh pat of butter and some cream. Yum keeps me full for hours so the calories fit.

I also like to throw in berries or banana or sometimes cocoa powder. Love sliced almonds in it. I keep unsweetened coconut flakes on hand too and mix in with some of these. The peanut powder is good as an option too. With any of these ingredients or combo of them I do add sugar of some sort. Sometimes a dash of vanilla or other extract too.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Grated carrot, oatmeal, egg, cheese, chilli flakes. Topped with some chopped spring onions or fresh herbs if I can be bothered.
    Look for savoury porridge recipes and there’s lots of good stuff out there.

And porridge and oatmeal are interchangeable in some parts of the world but not others. For my Singaporean workmate, porridge is made with rice (congee) and what I call porridge, she just calls oats. And my Indian workmate introduced us to Curry Oats - a spicy breakfast from the Indian grocery.