Vodka soda the way to go?

Options
What is the best low calorie cocktail to order when out? Is there a bottled one that is low calorie or is it best to stick with vodka soda?

Replies

• Klmom123
    Klmom123 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    We are going on vacation with friends so I know there will be some drinking . And I agree, when I drink I also eat which is my downfall.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Klmom123 wrote: »
    We are going on vacation with friends so I know there will be some drinking . And I agree, when I drink I also eat which is my downfall.

Honestly? I don't worry about my food when I'm on holiday. It all shakes out when I return.

I quit drinking completely. One of the best things I ever did. Now I remember my vacations and never wake up feeling like death warmed over. :) I'd far rather eat well and skip the alcohol.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    I know that when you drink, your digestive tracts focuses on digesting that first, so then the food you eat is a secondary thought to the body. Hence, the weight gain and stomach bloat. I quit as well. But when I did drink, yes, vodka and soda was the best choice for less calories.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Spirits (so vodka, tequila, bourbon, gin) are all about the same, so it's the mix that will be the deciding factor.

Beer and wine are a bit higher cal per serving.

If you are moderately drinking (like one drink) I don't think it is a big concern.

My problem was stopping at one...and then the subsequent poor food choices that followed.

This^^^
  • reality7001
    reality7001 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have cut back on drinking... Last weekend I purchased coconut rumhaven. It's made with coconut water and cane sugar at 50 cal/oz . I used bottle water as a mixer and it was amazing. Not too sugary.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    Spirits (so vodka, tequila, bourbon, gin) are all about the same, so it's the mix that will be the deciding factor.

If you are moderately drinking (like one drink) I don't think it is a big concern.

My problem was stopping at one...and then the subsequent poor food choices that followed.

^^^^^This!!!!
    One drink: I'll just have a few raw veggies from the veggie platter to munch on

Four drinks: the bacon, brisket, double-decker chili & cheese pizza fries with a side of entire pie sounds like a great choice!

This would have my calorie accounts running into next month!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    I know that when you drink, your digestive tracts focuses on digesting that first, so then the food you eat is a secondary thought to the body. Hence, the weight gain and stomach bloat. I quit as well. But when I did drink, yes, vodka and soda was the best choice for less calories.

If the total calories are the same, it doesn't matter, for fat gain, what macros they are coming from. If you're seeing a differing in weight and bloat, it's water.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    To save calories avoid tonic water or regular soda. Use club soda or Coke Zero etc. Vodka, gin, rum, Jack etc all work. I prefer tequila. Cheers.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I enjoy drinking. I actually enjoy drinking more than I enjoy eating. I have a few different patterns that I stick to, depending on what the event is.

regular dinner, week night - 2 light beers
    dinner out, date night - 1 craft double IPA or 2 regular IPAs
    holiday dinner- 1 light beer, 1 regular beer, 2 glasses of wine
    night out with friends - 2 light beers, 2 regular beers, 2 shots

Since this is my typical way of drinking, I can plan ahead in terms of food and exercise. Make a plan, include drinks you like, leave room for more than 1 drink. Between drinks though, drink a water or a diet soda to make the alcoholic drinks last through out the night.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    All liquors have about 90 calories a serving, so a cocktail with zero calorie mixer is about 90 calories. Light beer is about 100 calories a serving, wine is usually about 120 calories a serving, ‘regular’ beer is about 150 a serving. So if you’re not drinking a lot, you’re really only looking at a 60 calorie range for different options.

Mixed drinks with high calorie mixers or more than a standard serving of liquor, and high ABV beer is where you can start to get in trouble. And drunker than you intended probably.

Source: I drink a lot
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I'm an extreme lightweight, so all it ever takes to get me totally buzzed is one drink - and I'm sipping it slowly. One drink won't break my calories, so I don't worry about it. But I did once have a really nice gin and tonic with diet (sugar free) tonic water. Don't know the brand, but it was not gross at all, so maybe that kind of thing is an option for you...
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    VUA21 wrote: »

^^^^^This!!!!
    One drink: I'll just have a few raw veggies from the veggie platter to munch on

Four drinks: the bacon, brisket, double-decker chili & cheese pizza fries with a side of entire pie sounds like a great choice!

This would have my calorie accounts running into next month!

Same, also why I try to limit myself to 2 drinks when I go out.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Exactly this! My problem is that one becomes two because "moderation!" Then two becomes three because "I've got a buzz and YOLO!" Then three becomes a half a pepperoni pizza and a box of PopTarts.