Net calories

Options
I'm kind of getting my head round this...
Are net calories, the calories left over after I have eaten, and burned through activities?
This is my last week, is this ok?kya8nade2reg.jpg

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    That says you are under eating by about 600 calories per day. Your net calories are supposed to be 1490. That's your goal.

That being said: How are you determining exercise calories? How much weight have you lost? How long have you been doing this?
  • ninjacakes
    ninjacakes Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    That says you are under eating by about 600 calories per day. Your net calories are supposed to be 1490. That's your goal.

That being said: How are you determining exercise calories? How much weight have you lost? How long have you been doing this?

I've done HIIT and walking and this weekend was spent moving sacks of rubble and trees :/
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    ninjacakes wrote: »

I've done HIIT and walking and this weekend was spent moving sacks of rubble and trees :/

That doesn't really answer any of my questions.

Do you have a fitness tracker, or are you entering your exercise through MFP?

How much weight have you lost?

How long have you been doing this?
  • ninjacakes
    Options

Realised I quoted the wrong comment!

I use my fitbit to track.
    I've been doing weight watchers since October and lost 20lbs. I don't think I'm eating enough.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

I've been doing weight watchers since October and lost 20lbs. I don't think I'm eating enough.

My Fitbit tends to underestimate my daily calories by about 200. Other people find that it is slightly over, and others find it right on for them. Your best bet is to go by using your own data.

Have you been eating like this since October? Or is this new to you?

Depending on what you chose to eat, WeightWatchers can have you really under eating.

Looks like you've just recently started here. The above links are great. I will suggest a couple others to look over. I will point out (since it gets asked a lot here), is that you need to log your fruits and vegetables as well. I can easily eat 400 calories in fruits and veggies, so if you aren't counting those here, you are undercutting your efforts.

Some additional reading:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10503681/exercise-calories-do-i-eat-these-a-video-explanation/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

I realize that these are beyond what you asked, but they are so important for getting the most out of this site/app.
  • rsj7799
    rsj7799 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

I had that problem with weight watchers as well. On weeks I ate a bunch of zero point foods I could lose nothing, then if I avoided them I'd lose too much. Which is why I started tracking with MFP.

On MFP there are no "zero point foods" (because they all have calories). So you need to weigh and track them as well. If you have lost 20lbs since October that is a perfectly safe (probably ideal) level of weight loss (2lbs per month).

I'm guessing you are either not logging your zero point foods into MFP or you have begun to eat FAR too little which is extremely unhealthy and will lead to a binge. Some people like to save some calories (i.e. weekly points) for eating out or a special occasion that week, but you should never go below 1200 net calories in a day (and you need to make them up ASAP). Ideally its probably better to eat all your calories every day whenever possible.

FYI- The advice you get on Connect is often silly and wrong and should be taken with a grain of salt.
  • ninjacakes
    Options
    rsj7799 wrote: »

I had that problem with weight watchers as well. On weeks I ate a bunch of zero point foods I could lose nothing, then if I avoided them I'd lose too much. Which is why I started tracking with MFP.

On MFP there are no "zero point foods" (because they all have calories). So you need to weigh and track them as well. If you have lost 20lbs since October that is a perfectly safe (probably ideal) level of weight loss (2lbs per month).

I'm guessing you are either not logging your zero point foods into MFP or you have begun to eat FAR too little which is extremely unhealthy and will lead to a binge. Some people like to save some calories (i.e. weekly points) for eating out or a special occasion that week, but you should never go below 1200 net calories in a day (and you need to make them up ASAP). Ideally its probably better to eat all your calories every day whenever possible.

FYI- The advice you get on Connect is often silly and wrong and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Generally not eating enough. I lost 1.2lbs this morning and I ate more than normal. Just being more mindful now tbh