calories in calories out not true?

Options
2»

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    the protein can be used for 1 or the other. not both.

You obviously didn't understand my last post. I know that protein can either be used for muscle synthesis OR be converted to glucose for energy, but in both of these situations, protein is still part of the energy balance equation. Muscle is constantly being broken down and synthesized, so when protein is used for muscle synthesis, it is providing your body with energy that was lost during muscle break down, it is not as if because the protein is used for muscle synthesis, then it has a 0 calorie affect on your body, that's asinine. Scientific studies have shown that up to 0.82g per lb of body weight of protein gets used for muscle synthesis. If it were as you are trying to say, that would mean 600 calories of my daily intake counts as 0 calories, and I'm actually consuming 1400 calories a day instead of 2000. I'd be losing a lot more weight than I am if that were true...
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Calories in calories out is ALWAYS TRUE. Either you're not being completely accurate with tracking food, or your TRUE tdee is different from your calculated/estimated tdee, or both.

This ^
  • fivepntr
    fivepntr Posts: 10
    Options
    I stopped concerning myself with calorie counts because it was a pain in the backside. How many calories should I consume? Do I eat back my workout calories? Am I accurately estimating the calories I burn during workouts..?

Now, I just keep my carbohydrates around 20 grams a day and let the calories fall wherever they fall! This allows me to focus more on my exercise routine rather than food. Hey, I may be wrong, but it’s working well for me and I'm moving in the right direction! Also, being a Carnivore, that makes me happy :) (Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrr)

There is no stone engraved with the correct diet or exercise regime to get in shape. If you find one, please let me know!

JMO
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    So I've lost 10 pounds, 3 were water weight. I look at each day for the last month and added my cals up. I never eat the same amount of cals a day, each day is different. My cals ranged from1200 - 2800 depending on the day. It added up to 54388 and my tdee for the month would be 54000. So it doesn't make sense to lose 7 pounds I should have consumed 25k this month. So is it the fact that I changed to healthier foods or is my tdee probably higher than 1800? I'm pretty much sedentary 160 pounds 5'4 so the highest tdee calculation I've ever gotten was 1900. Or could it be that I'm unintentionally calorie cycling?

I am also 5'4" but I weigh about 130. My TDEE on a rest day is usually between 2000 and 2100. I work an office job. Even sedentary, your TDEE is likely higher than mine.