Another new start

Options
Good evening,

I am currently trying to recuperate from pneumonia but as soon as I am better I want to attempt weight loss again. I need to lose 150lbs. I have tried MFP many times, a dietitian, a nutritionist, weight watchers, keto......I am at my white end. I am so overweight, unhappy, depressed, and miserable. I am 31 years old married with 2 children and I am almost a psychiatric nurse practitioner. I dont feel like I can be a good role model for others at this weight. Any advice is much appreciated.

Replies

• TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    My biggest advice is that you have to make a serious commitment and not give up. You have to work weight loss like it's a job. All diets will work if you work them. You don't look at the entire number you have to lose. You focus on 5 lbs at a time and then you do the next 5 lbs. I'm on Weight Watchers and I count my calories. I join challenges. I'm in support groups here and on Facebook. I surround myself with as much help as I can get. I also track everything I eat no matter what. I drink enough water. I exercise. At first, I could barely walk for 15 minutes on my treadmill and now I can do an hour. I just bought a pair of pants that didn't come from the plus size section, which is where I've shopped for over 30 years! You start slow and you just keep going. Believe in yourself and that you deserve to be the best you can be. :)
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Make your food diary the center of your effort. Use a food scale, crunch the numbers, use NI when at restaurants if available, use the generic data bases when you have to, if necessary make a good faith guess. If you go over your number, keep your diary. If you go crazy over, keep your diary. The process is more important than the number. Trust the process. But sometimes you have to defend the process. You won’t like logging your missteps and lapses, but it has to be done to keep the process in place.

When your diary is the center of your efforts, the only way to get off track is to make a conscious decision to quit. Don’t.

Oh, you will go over you number eventually, lots of ways to make mistakes, loss of concentration, fatigue, distractions, misread menus, even math mistakes. But it all goes in the diary.

Set your calories to lose 1lb per week. Yeah, years. Try it out. Always evaluate your program on 2 tracks- Are you losing weight on a downward trend line over time? Are you satisfied with how you are living? If your plan isn’t working, make it better. A plan you won’t actually follow is not a good plan. Fix it. Never stop problem solving.

Add me if you want. I’ve lost 100+ lbs. and been maintaining for years.I know you can do this even if you don’t believe it. What happened before doesn’t matter. The past no longer exists. Good luck.