Stretch Marks and Extra Skin

Options
HI,
So My starting weight was 235 lbs, currently I am down to 218.
My goal weight is around 150 ( I am 6ft tall! )

Im worried about my stretch marks.
I have some on my stomach and they seem to have gotten lighter but will they go away?
I'm also worried about having extra skin.
I heard that if you lose weight slowly and healthily that you skin will usually be okay.

Anyone have any advice?

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water (makes the skin more elastic), other than that, it's going to be what it's going to be, and in the end, a little saggy skin is better than a bunch of flub.

Rigger
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how long your have been overweight, how much you were overweight and your age. The younger you are the better chance your skin has of not being saggy. If you have been overweight for a short time period the same thing, your skin won't be as saggy. I had been obese all my life and at age 49 my skin isn't gonna snap back. They say your skin still recovers a year or more after you have reached goal too. I worked out and lifted weights on my weight loss journey and do have muscles but the saggy skin is still there. I lost over 1/2 me so the only way I will get rid of my loose skin is through plastic surgery. I've looked into but it is very costly, to have my upper arms done and tummy it was like $13,000. Yikes!
  • curly1986
    curly1986 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    For stretch marks they will never totally go away. I started getting them as a child (due to growing in big growth spurts) and now have stretch marks everywhere from behind my knees, thighs, hips, tummy, boobs, arms etc (obviously some of mine are from weight gain as an adult as well as puberty). But all of mine have faded alot down to a pale silvery/white colour and are barely noticeable now.
  • tootchute
    tootchute Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I heard lifting weight and losing slowly helps the skin not be so lose, but I'm not sure.
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I know is not what you want to hear , but don't worry about something you can't control,

Stretch marks are already there , there is a possibility that they could become lighter and not be as apparent but your skin is already teared

As for saggy skin , we have age in our side and that means more elasticity so that could help with the loose skin. So drink a lot of water and don't rush it.

But don't think to much about it , you will probably have some saggy skin in some parts but it probably wont be an issue.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Lucky for you, you have age on your side! True, the stretch marks won't go away but they should get a lot lighter. And I'd bet no one would even notice them. As the above poster pointed out, several people have them just from growth spurts and hell every woman who's had a baby has them - so it's not an uncommon thing.

As for your skin, I have heard several things. Definitely make sure you stay hydrated and eat a good balance so you get healthy fats and vitamins that help with the health and elasticity of your skin. Be patient! I've read that it can take up to two years after hitting goal for everything to tighten up. And from my own experience, it's not unlike the ups and downs of weight loss. Just when you're getting frustrated (about a plateau or your belly being flappy), the body decides to catch up and you're on track again.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Loose skin will be largely based on genetics. Lift heavy things, lose weight slowly, eat enough food to preserve LBM. In the end, you will have a healthier, stronger body.

As you can see from my pix, I have loose skin and stretch marks. Better than the 100 pounds of extra fat I was once carrying on my body. Will I ever compete in a figure competition? No, but I wouldn't have any way. Will I ever wear a bikini in public? Probably not, but I probably wouldn't anyway. Am I happy with the body I've got rocking under my clothes? You bet I am!!

Did I mention to eat enough (like NOT letting MFP set your goal to two pounds per week and not eating back exercise calories) and lifting heavy things? Just making sure I have that in here. I'm 5'8, weight 158 and I average 2,500 per day and lift 3x per week. I have gotten MUCH better results with this than when I was on the low calorie, cardio bandwagon. Feel free to PM me for questions. :wink:
  • CantStopWontStop92
    CantStopWontStop92 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Don't stress about the stretch marks. Yeah they suck but quite frankly no one but you notices them! I'm only 110lbs and have them on the inside of my thighs. So they happen to all of us, you're not alone:) I commented about it to my twin brother and he didn't even know what "strech marks" were.
  • girljar
    girljar Posts: 5
    Options
    Lucky for you, you have age on your side! True, the stretch marks won't go away but they should get a lot lighter. And I'd bet no one would even notice them. As the above poster pointed out, several people have them just from growth spurts and hell every woman who's had a baby has them - so it's not an uncommon thing.

As for your skin, I have heard several things. Definitely make sure you stay hydrated and eat a good balance so you get healthy fats and vitamins that help with the health and elasticity of your skin. Be patient! I've read that it can take up to two years after hitting goal for everything to tighten up. And from my own experience, it's not unlike the ups and downs of weight loss. Just when you're getting frustrated (about a plateau or your belly being flappy), the body decides to catch up and you're on track again.
  • girljar
    girljar Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you for that-I'm no 'young pup' either, and I've been really concerned-this helps, ty :)
  • cherio256
    cherio256 Posts: 219
    Options
    Stretch marks will not go away. My stomach is covered in them and they are really deep. During my first pregnancy I got a ton, then my second I got more! Sme criss cross each other and go both ways. I don't like them, but can live with them. I have no choice. The sooner you accept them the better.

Not trying to be rude, just being honest
  • Ragazza_Rachel
    Ragazza_Rachel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Stretch marks, as we all know, are a skin problem. Thus, they need to be treated as such.

I used to work at a beauty store, and I would often get clients coming in with this very problem. I will share what I have learned from my time there and from my own research. When my manager became pregnant, she was scared to death about stretch marks. She applied 100% shea butter balm daily throughout her pregnancy. It worked like a charm in preventing them because shea butter is one of the best deep-skin moisturizers...that is why it takes an irritatingly long time to absorb completely. I don't know how effective it is for getting rid of stretch marks, but I would give it a go. In my own-time research, here's what I discovered would give you the best at-home treatment results.

100% Shea Butter balm - moisturizes
    100% Aloe Vera - hydrates
    A "spot treatment" or "dark spot" cream (to help with color tone)

Mix these three together and apply 1-2x daily.

Also, be sure you're drinking plenty of water and taking your vitamins A, E, C and zinc. These will all help improve your skin.

Good luck and keep up your hard work. You will be rewarded!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    You'll be amazed at how good your body will look. Don't be anxious about your skin. You are very tall, as well as young. The skin is AMAZINGLY stretchy. With 5 babies, I have very few stretch marks, and minimal changes to my skin's tightness...and I can tell you it was stretched WAY more than yours was. The final changes to the tautness of your skin will be as you lose the final excess layer of fat. Your stretch marks will fade, not disappear. And your (future?) husband will never be put off by them.

Edit to add, I eat loads of healthy fats, and IMO they are very important to great skin. Avocado, olive oil, coconut oil, butter, etc. I AVOID fried oils, and refined vegetable oils.
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    i have stretch marks too , because before i am so skinny and when i got become very fat i got the stretch marks,,

how to remove them :(
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^choijanro, they do not go away, they just fade.
  • indiebreadkid
    indiebreadkid Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice,
    I learned some tips I didn't know before!
  • nnelson33
    nnelson33 Posts: 101
    Options
    I've had them since I was little and have always been embarrassed by them. Someone also wrote on here something about moisturizing! Just do it once a day after you get out of the shower to make sure it has all of the moisture it needs. Also tons of water :)
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Stretch marks will fade with time but never go away.

Start lifting some weights, that will help you firm up.