Can anyone recommend a quick HIIT workout?

Options
I am looking for a quick HIIT workout to burn fat. I am a busy mum so need something that’ll get my heart going as well as maximise fat loss! A programme / YouTube video? Thank you :)

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Exercise doesn't burn fat, it burns calories. No real good/effective way to control where those calories come from. Exercise if you want, but manage your calorie balance (cals in vs cals out) to promote fat loss.

But to answer your question, I like sprints, suicides, and bleachers on the rare occasion I do HIIT.
  • missbutterfly92
    missbutterfly92 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Exercise doesn't burn fat, it burns calories. No real good/effective way to control where those calories come from. Exercise if you want, but manage your calorie balance (cals in vs cals out) to promote fat loss.

But to answer your question, I like sprints, suicides, and bleachers on the rare occasion I do HIIT.

Thank you! I am not a very active person so I have no idea what the terms mean! I want to start doing it however :) I am still trying to learn how to create a calorie deficit using MFP! I feel like I am going to starve though :o
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    If you're not very active, just start with the basics. Go for a walk or an easy run... walk up some stairs... go for an easy bike ride or something similar.

There is nothing magical about HIIT, and if you're not conditioned for it, it can be problematic.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,560 Member
    Options
    Hi. Beachbody puts out some great workouts. One of them is TurboFire by Chalene Extreme has a multitude of workouts including many HIIT workouts in this program. It is great because you can choose a daily w/o according to how much time you have.
    Good luck in your fitness journey.
  • TayaCurragh
    TayaCurragh Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I use fitnessblender on youtube, they do lots of Hiit and the videos aren't cheesily motivational, a plus for me!
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    1) HIIT doesn't "maximize fat loss".

2) If you're new to exercising, the most significant thing HIIT will do is make you so sore that you can't move for the next three to five days.

3) Most of what people call "HIIT" really isn't HIIT at all. The term has been bastardized by the fitness industry because it's trendy right now, but what they're doing isn't HIIT.

As jjpptt said, start with the basics. Any exercise burns calories and will be helpful to you in creating your deficit. Do whatever you enjoy and is sustainable for you.

Also very skeptical of HIIT through trial & error. Yes, it's a time saver but not a complete substitute for LISS (as far as kcals burned) should you need to use cardio to contribute to kcal deficit. Not saying HIIT is bad by any means, just overhyped & misleading...if you are compliant with it & it puts you in a deficit, go for it
  • hikinggal11
    hikinggal11 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    A great easy interval training, especially if just starting out, is walk/run 2-3x a week. After warming up for 5 minutes at a comfortable walking pace, then alternate between sprinting for 20 seconds then walk for 40 seconds. Do this at first for 10 min and then you can gradually build up to 30 minutes. You don't even need any fancy equipment. You can use visual markers in your neighborhood such as lamp posts i.e. sprint to the next lamp post, walk two lamp post, repeat. You will need a good pair of running shoes though.

You can use the chart here;

https://www.verywellfit.com/target-heart-rate-calculator-3878160

to determine your target heart rate for intensity zones. It is pretty accurate. Of course read up on it more from trustworthy sites before you start and talk with your doctor just to make sure you are healthy enough.......

Good luck!
  • hikinggal11
    hikinggal11 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to mention that you might be tempted to do this more than 2-3x/week but don't! Pushing yourself more will lead to injury, misery, and despair. Seriously though, just don't. It is a good way to injure yourself. Now that I think about it - just do it 2x/week for the first couple of weeks to give your body time to adjust. If you are truly doing HIIT it will take A LOT out of you at first.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Boxing/kickboxing seems like a popular favorite (not boring, short bursts of Max effort, practical too). Possibly trying this in the future as well as Parkour (essentially gymnastic-esque running around playground like obstacle courses; watch some ninja warrior to get a better idea what it's all about)
  • tarajones9898
    tarajones9898 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi try Chloe ting on YouTube she has loads of different workouts including hitt and 10 minute abs they are all really good 🙂
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    A tabata HIIT routine - running, biking or rowing - in 8 intervals of 20 secs max effort and 10 secs rest - takes just 4 mins.

You won't burn much if any fat and won't burn many cals but you will stress your cardio vascular system to the max - which is the point of a true HIIT routine.
  • Felix2678
    Felix2678 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Get a hold of your Nutrition 1st! Very Important! 80% Nutrition 20% Exercise. In the process keep it very simple. Walking, fast walking then eventually start a light Jog etc. etc. it really isn’t complicated just get up and move! Like cleaning around the house, working on the garden, etc.etc.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,605 Member
    Options
    As a be

Thank you! I am not a very active person so I have no idea what the terms mean! I want to start doing it however :) I am still trying to learn how to create a calorie deficit using MFP! I feel like I am going to starve though :o

If you're pretty much an exercise beginner, I'm going to put in another vote for starting with a more moderate form of exercise, such as a "Couch to 5K" (C25K) running program/app, or simply taking regular walks.

In most cases, your best calorie burn will come from figuring out how much time you'd like to devote to cardiovascular exercise, then dividing that into a short warm-up at low intensity, the body of the workout, and a short cool-down at low intensity. In the body of the workout, do some activity you find fun at a the highest intensity you can sustain for that whole time period, and afterward still feel energized rather than drained/exhausted for the rest of your day (after maybe a brief period right after exercise when you have kind of a "whew!" feeling for a short time).

It may even be better to start with shorter workouts, and work your way up in duration/intensity. After you've been doing this kind of steady state exercise for a few weeks to a few months to build base fitness, you can start to add regular (not necessarily high-intensity, but increased intensity) intervals, or increase the steady-state intensity to keep it challenging, or something like that.

At first, do any even remotely intense workout at most every other day, and take it easy on the days between. If you like, you can increase the frequency as you get fitter, though you always want some rest days.

HIIT is overhyped. For beginners, true HIIT is more exhausting, has a higher risk of injury, can make you tired enough that it saps your energy and drains activity from your daily life (sleeping/resting more, putting off or simplifying chores, etc.) so you burn fewer calories in your daily routine, and tends to reinforce the idea that exercise is an unpleasant thing that makes you feel exhausted and miserable (which it isn't).

Most of the things advertised as HIIT, aren't HIIT in the strict sense. But they still aren't the best or most effective starting point for exercise beginners. Just find something you enjoy doing that involves moving more (walking, dancing, martial arts, swimming, biking, playing tennis, running, skating, kayaking . . . there are hundreds of possibilities).

If it's fun, you'll want to do it. Any exercise you actually do is 100% more effective and a better calorie burner than a theoretically perfect exercise you don't enjoy, so avoid doing anytime you have the slightest justification.

Best wishes!
  • JaclynPluchinsky1988
    Options
    If you like to watch free videos from YouTube look up Shelly Dose. I love her videos and she has many different types. Some with bodyweight some with weights. She has long and short videos. I am always sweating after working out with her. She does them with you and has music as well, helps to get through them.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Everyone else has touched on the exercise, so I'm going to add just a bit to the bolded.

There are a couple things to consider if you are feeling hungry constantly. Feeling hungry once in a while is fine.

1) Is your calorie goal appropriate? If you have little to lose, then a smaller deficit (slower weight loss is appropriate), and will give you more calories which can help with hunger.

2) Play with the macros. Some people find fat more filling, others prefer proteins. Personally, I aim for fat and protein as minimums, and use vegetables to fill up. Don't be afraid to play with the numbers, and go over the targets. It's okay.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "Can anyone recommend a quick HIIT workout?"

Not for you - totally inappropriate for your current level and stated goals.
    Just start being more active, exercising more and progress steadily.

Start by reviewing the rate of weight loss you selected if you are constantly feeling starving. It doesn't have to be that hard - both diet and exercise.
    Smart people make a difficult process as easy as possible not as hard as possible.