I went up 1 lb :-(

Options
I went up 1 lb since I started last week. I don’t lift weights or do anything to gain muscle. I think I know what the problem is...I eat late a lot b/c I usually get home after 9 pm and I need to walk more. So those are the 2 things I’m gonna change. I figure I should eat dinner no later than 6 pm and if I can’t i’ll just have a small meal or snack. Can anyone else relate??

Replies

• Jrobb1217
    Jrobb1217 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do log my food accurately. I even bought a food scale and weigh my food. And I always have big deficits at the end of the night. I think I’m also too impatient. It’s like I want results asap lol
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I restarted on my calorie deficit campaign about a week and a half ago. Since then, my weight has been up, down, and all over the place. I also increased my exercise, so there's probably a bit of water weight fluctuation in there, hormones from TOM, along with normal body weight fluctuations. It's all good, though...as long as I'm consistent, the weight will eventually start dropping, as will yours. Just need to be patient. :)
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Jrobb1217 wrote: »
    I think I’m also too impatient. It’s like I want results asap lol

I know that feeling! Stick with it, if you're doing everything right it will happen :)
  • Jrobb1217
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    You do realize that big deficits can have bad effects right? It increases stress which can cause additional water retention. Also, over time, it will increase muscle loss and increase metabolic adaptation.

Why not try an appropriate deficit (~.5 -1% of your bw weight per week) and see if that helps.

I try not to have big deficits but it’s like i’m too full to eat more. Now i’m realizing I need to have more snacks. That way I can minimize the deficits
  • Jrobb1217
    Options
    Don't worry about the fluctuations of day-to-day weighing. Log your food accurately and honestly. Over time, and that is going to be weeks and months, you'll lose weight if you stay in a calorie deficit.

What do u feel is a normal deficit?
  • Cheeseandcats
    Cheeseandcats Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm also really impatient with my weight loss! But I have to remind myself, I didn't gain this 100+ lbs overnight and unfortunately, it won't come off overnight. Just keep tracking accurately, using your food scale, and try not to let daily fluctuations get you down. I use an app called Libra (Android...Happy Scale for iPhone, I think) that tracks your daily weigh in trend. It helps me stay sane if the scale goes up:-) You got this!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Don't worry about the fluctuations of day-to-day weighing. Log your food accurately and honestly. Over time, and that is going to be weeks and months, you'll lose weight if you stay in a calorie deficit.

What do u feel is a normal deficit?

Around .5 to 1% of your bw per week. So if you were 150 lbs, .75 (350 calorie deficit) to 1.5 (750 calorie deficit) lbs is an ok goal.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    You do realize that big deficits can have bad effects right? It increases stress which can cause additional water retention. Also, over time, it will increase muscle loss and increase metabolic adaptation.

Why not try an appropriate deficit (~.5 -1% of your bw weight per week) and see if that helps.

I try not to have big deficits but it’s like i’m too full to eat more. Now i’m realizing I need to have more snacks. That way I can minimize the deficits

How much are losing per week?
  • Jrobb1217
    Options

This is my 1st week and I went up 1 lb
  • Jrobb1217
    Options
    Kaykoshke wrote: »
    I'm also really impatient with my weight loss! But I have to remind myself, I didn't gain this 100+ lbs overnight and unfortunately, it won't come off overnight. Just keep tracking accurately, using your food scale, and try not to let daily fluctuations get you down. I use an app called Libra (Android...Happy Scale for iPhone, I think) that tracks your daily weigh in trend. It helps me stay sane if the scale goes up:-) You got this!

Thanks for the encouragement!! I rly appreciate it!

• psuLemon
    Options

This is my 1st week and I went up 1 lb

Oh, i missed that, lol. Sorry. We don't know if you have a big deficit or not yet. Give it another 2 to 3 weeks and see how you react.
  • sarahlucindac
    sarahlucindac Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I didn’t lose any weight for 3 weeks. The scale started going down once I increased my water intake. I drink about 100 ounces/day. I notice a big difference if I’m not hydrated. Hang in there and have patience!
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I went up 1 lb since I started last week. I don’t lift weights or do anything to gain muscle. I think I know what the problem is...I eat late a lot b/c I usually get home after 9 pm and I need to walk more. So those are the 2 things I’m gonna change. I figure I should eat dinner no later than 6 pm and if I can’t i’ll just have a small meal or snack. Can anyone else relate??

I've been on/off here for 3 years. Weight fluctuations are perfectly normal, I think my personal record is about 10lbs in one day: combination of TOM, stress, didn't sleep well, and a salty dinner with a beer. That was all water retention.

When you eat has nothing to do with weight loss or gain. We are not Gremlins that have magic food vs time of day switches. All that matters is that you have an average deficit over time.

Walking more is a good thing, it puts relatively very stress on the body and is a great habit to have for long term health.

Going too far into a deficit is not a good thing. Along with fat loss, you run the risk of bone density loss, muscle loss, hair loss, and other things. The only people that should ever have a deficit of more than 1000 Cal/day average are not only extremely mobidly obese (+500lbs) but also under a physicians care, preferably in-patient care at that.

Stick with a good deficit based on how much you have to lose (the closer you are to ideal, the smaller the deficit should be), and be patient.

Remember: weight loss isn't linear. There are a thousand things that can and do affect water retention, so being normal means that there are going to be slight ups and downs in your weight over time. But, so long as you remain in a calorie deficit, the overall trend will be of weight loss.

Just be patient and trust the process. Try to be as accurate as possible with your logging (weigh everything!!!) everyday, and don't quit.