Slow cutting

Options
sardelsa
sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
I know there can be negatives to long periods in a deficit, wondering when that starts to take a toll, how long is too long? Am I doing myself a disservice by cutting too slow when it comes to muscle loss and metabolism?

I just feel like i have been cutting forever (it's been about 4 months now, and will probably go to 5). I have lost about 9.5lbs so far, one diet break in between.
I feel like I am doing fine, it actually doesn't feel like I am cutting anymore, it feels like this is my new normal. I am not losing that slow either, about standard, 0.5-0.7lb per week.

For reference, I gained about 15lbs on my 7 month bulk, I am currently sitting around 134lbs, 5'7. Looking to lose a few more lbs, maybe.

I don't want to go too aggressive and just get it over with. But at the same time it does feel a bit slow. Any advice?

Replies

• Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Interested in this myself. I am on my 17th week and I haven’t been doing refeeds. A couple of weeks ago I felt pretty fed up but powered through and like you I just feel this is now my life. I am down 21lbs and booked a holiday/vacation in 2 weeks time so trying to decide if the cut continues once I’m back and use it as a decent diet break or if after that it’s time to recomp or bulk.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    I always go with a fairly large deficit and an aggressive cut. It works for me. The faster I can get back to training the better and I do like to bulk well past the 15% a lot of people recommend. Here is something from Lyle McDonald that talks about low, moderate, and high deficit diets and the pro's and con's of each.

https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/setting-the-deficit-small-moderate-or-large.html/
  • sardelsa
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I know there can be negatives to long periods in a deficit, wondering when that starts to take a toll, how long is too long? Am I doing myself a disservice by cutting too slow when it comes to muscle loss and metabolism?

I just feel like i have been cutting forever (it's been about 4 months now, and will probably go to 5). I have lost about 9.5lbs so far, one diet break in between.
    I feel like I am doing fine, it actually doesn't feel like I am cutting anymore, it feels like this is my new normal. I am not losing that slow either, about standard, 0.5-0.7lb per week.

For reference, I gained about 15lbs on my 7 month bulk, I am currently sitting around 134lbs, 5'7. Looking to lose a few more lbs, maybe.

I don't want to go too aggressive and just get it over with. But at the same time it does feel a bit slow. Any advice?

I think there is a balance to how fast you can cut and how grueling it can be to sustain a cut. If you are concerned about the impacts of metabolic adaptation, the impacts of leptin/ghrelin and other hormones, it would be worth to be a bit more aggressive in your cut in the first few days, and then add in refeeds (weekly) and diet breaks every 8ish weeks. This way, your overall deficit throughout the week is about equivalent.

Additionally, one should increase protein to about 1 -1.2g/lb + and increasing weight/lower rep, will help mitigate some muscle loss.

Yea that is essentially what I am doing. More aggressive during the week, then maintenance on weekends which brings an overall loss. I try to keep protein high, but during the week it is difficult because my cals are so low. I typically don't lift too heavy so maybe that is an issue. I don't feel like I am losing muscle, nor do I feel hunger swings. At least not right now.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

I think there is a balance to how fast you can cut and how grueling it can be to sustain a cut. If you are concerned about the impacts of metabolic adaptation, the impacts of leptin/ghrelin and other hormones, it would be worth to be a bit more aggressive in your cut in the first few days, and then add in refeeds (weekly) and diet breaks every 8ish weeks. This way, your overall deficit throughout the week is about equivalent.

Additionally, one should increase protein to about 1 -1.2g/lb + and increasing weight/lower rep, will help mitigate some muscle loss.

Yea that is essentially what I am doing. More aggressive during the week, then maintenance on weekends which brings an overall loss. I try to keep protein high, but during the week it is difficult because my cals are so low. I typically don't lift too heavy so maybe that is an issue. I don't feel like I am losing muscle, nor do I feel hunger swings. At least not right now.

When you cut, it's a bit more important to keep strength lifting higher (at least from the readings I have done from Lyle and a few others). And then a bit more mixed or hyptrophic while in maintenance/bulking. From my understanding, this is largely tied to recovery to volume.
  • sardelsa
    Options

When you cut, it's a bit more important to keep strength lifting higher (at least from the readings I have done from Lyle and a few others). And then a bit more mixed or hyptrophic while in maintenance/bulking. From my understanding, this is largely tied to recovery to volume.

I find if I train too low rep I get wiped out and it ruins my recovery. Maybe I am not used to it, but it really discourages me and I hate training that way. I mean, I do have some strength sets thrown in (sets at 5-6 reps) but with only a selection of exercises per cycle.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    I always go with a fairly large deficit and an aggressive cut. It works for me. The faster I can get back to training the better and I do like to bulk well past the 15% a lot of people recommend. Here is something from Lyle McDonald that talks about low, moderate, and high deficit diets and the pro's and con's of each.

https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/setting-the-deficit-small-moderate-or-large.html/

Thanks for sharing. That makes me feel better about my small deficit. I am fairly lean with very little to lose, I am not impatient, I am not wiping it out despite not tracking my intake. The only issue is that I am becoming a little too comfortable with it and I think it will be hard to transition to maintenance because I am satisfied with this calorie amount.
  • manowarrule2003
    manowarrule2003 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi sardelsa. Just a side question. Have i read correct that you gained 15lbs and have now cut 9.5 of said weight? Im curious about this as hopefully i will be at a cutting stage for the first time in my life. Keep up the good work. Profile pic looks amazing
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I don't think it sounds slow at all, especially if its your new norm. I'm in a similar place, (not that I ever went down the gain route) decided to move my maintenance goal weight down another few pounds and have also chose the very slow and steady approach, I'm only losing 1lb per month - now THAT IS SLOW lol - but at least I don't feel I'm deprived.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Hi sardelsa. Just a side question. Have i read correct that you gained 15lbs and have now cut 9.5 of said weight? Im curious about this as hopefully i will be at a cutting stage for the first time in my life. Keep up the good work. Profile pic looks amazing

Yup, this was my third bulk. My first bulk I cut only 3/10lbs, second one 8/12lbs, this one will probably be close to 11lbs once I'm done.

Thanks! That pic was actually last year hopefully I can take a new improved one soon :)
  • sardelsa
    Options
    I don't think it sounds slow at all, especially if its your new norm. I'm in a similar place, (not that I ever went down the gain route) decided to move my maintenance goal weight down another few pounds and have also chose the very slow and steady approach, I'm only losing 1lb per month - now THAT IS SLOW lol - but at least I don't feel I'm deprived.

Yea it's all about what is sustainable! I think if I had plans to bulk this fall I'd have to hurry it up, but I'm just transitioning to maintenance soon so why rush.
  • wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member
    Options

Yea it's all about what is sustainable! I think if I had plans to bulk this fall I'd have to hurry it up, but I'm just transitioning to maintenance soon so why rush.

I am in the same boat. I have about 5 pounds left to cut and I am trying to do it at a slower pace before I switch to maintenance. I am definitely ready to switch to maintenance, but don't want to compromise on my goals simply because I am impatient. Best of luck to you. It may seem slow now, but it will be worth it once you get there.