Calorie stability vs Calorie Instability for losing weight. Which works better?

Options
What I mean in my question is this, which works better or does it have no difference.
Let's say I need 1800cal per day to healthily lose weight, is there a difference in:
1) If I eat 2000 cal one day and then 1600 the other.
2) If I eat 1800 cal every day and no more.

Is strict stability crucial to weight loss?

Replies

• leobrah
    leobrah Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    No, not at all. What's crucial to weight loss is maintaining a caloric deficit over time. Going over or under your target for any particular day doesn't matter.

I look at my weekly intake rather than my daily, since (unless you're eating the exact same thing every day) my numbers will fluctuate. As long as my weekly totals are within range, I'm good to go.

Alright, thank y'all! That makes a lot of sense.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    No choose what works for you.

I prefer to eat more calories at the weekend as it fits with my family life right now. Others times it hasn't

Weight loss is a long term project....as is weight gain for that matter.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The math equation works the same either way. It's really just a matter of what you'll stick with.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I've done both. The results were equal as long as I kept my calorie deficit from week to week. It's just a matter of which you find more appealing for satiation and adherence. Try them out and see what you like.
  • stacimarie1015
    stacimarie1015 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    leobrah wrote: »
    What I mean in my question is this, which works better or does it have no difference.
    Let's say I need 1800cal per day to healthily lose weight, is there a difference in:
    1) If I eat 2000 cal one day and then 1600 the other.
    2) If I eat 1800 cal every day and no more.

Is strict stability crucial to weight loss?

Depends on what works for you. You may have some days where you are more active and thus more hungry.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    It has no difference so choose the one that is easier for you to keep with.