PREGNANCY: Trying to avoid gaining too much.

Options
As an overweight person, I was advised to gain between 5-9kg during my entire pregnancy. I’m now 22 weeks, and after gaining nothing for the first 16 weeks, I have gained 5kg in 6 weeks without changing my diet! Beginning to freak out a little. I’ve decided to track my food intake and aim for ‘weight maintenance’ calories to prevent further dramatic weight gains.

Anyone out there with any advice?

Replies

• elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the pregnancy! Try not to freak out. I would recommend eating healthily and second the midwife or doctor for advice.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Congrats! And I say good job on only gaining 5kg this far in. I gained 65lbs during my pregnancy so I'm a good person to ask what NOT to do. Typically you need extra calories during your second and third trimesters but I've heard there is different advice if you are already over-weight, so I would talk to your doctor or midwife about it at your next appointment.
  • JessekaKing
    JessekaKing Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Curious what the outcome was for you...assuming you brought this up to your OB.

I’m in a similar boat as i near 20 weeks next week!
  • terrieth21
    terrieth21 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies... I’m 5’3 and weigh 186 lbs. I am 24 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child and haven’t gained any weight but want to keep my weight gain around 10 lbs. I am just now starting to show as well. I was very active and still at the gym the first 20 weeks but I am a care giver at home for my grandma and don’t have time for the gym as she needs me more at home now. I’m wondering about safe exercises and calorie goals to stay under 200 lbs during this pregnancy. Ohh... also I have lupus and deal with daily pain but a lot of it is under control right now. I’ve read some posts that say staying within a 2000 calorie healthy diet in the 3 trimester is best. I honestly wasn’t eating the best the first 24 weeks but my appetite hasn’t been big either. But I want to buckle down and find a workout routine for my back and arms and shoulders at home.
  • crystalnichle
    crystalnichle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I'm also pregnant, with my third. I gained 10lbs in the first 16 weeks so I'm starting to track so I dont get out of control! Its hard with cravings! Feel free to add me if you'd like!