garmin indecision

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    If you are a runner, get a Forerunner 230.

Does everything you need and nothing you don't. 645 is probably overkill if your asking the question

Isn't "overkill" a synonym for "perfect"?

i like you....
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited September 2018
    the 235 does not have Barometric altimeter

(i already have the smart hr+)
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    the 235 does not have Barometric altimeter

(i already have the smart hr+)

Does that really matter, or are you overanalyzing?
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    I have a Garmin Fenix 5s and love it!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Main issue with the 235 for the OP will probably be the battery life (it's on the low side for someone planning to do ultras/backpacking). Not sure the altimeter will be too useful in most of Wisconsin.
  • mbaker566
    since the halfs i do usually involve a lot of elevation change, i like to train with it. scuppernong blue trail and lampham black, nashotah, high cliff, devils lake all are hilly and challenging. plus i don't stay in WI and am usually in the mtns in the nw. one of my dreams is to do the columbia gorge dog leg and to do moab races

so, yeah, it's kinda important
  • mbaker566
    i've heard good things about the fenix but it's not in the top three as it is way out of my budget @solieco1
  • jjpptt2
    since the halfs i do usually involve a lot of elevation change, i like to train with it. scuppernong blue trail and lampham black, nashotah, high cliff, devils lake all are hilly and challenging. plus i don't stay in WI and am usually in the mtns in the nw. one of my dreams is to do the columbia gorge dog leg and to do moab races

It'll still track elevation changes with the GPS/satelite signal. I've seen some debate about which is more reliable, but nothing overly conclusive (to me).
  • jjpptt2
    Just to come at this from a different angle...

What about buying the cheapest one that meets your needs right now, then buying something more suited to marathons and, more aptly, ultras if/when you get to that point?
  • mbaker566
    i'm in the process now of the marathon training and it would look like i'm looking at 5ish hours
    we have ultras in spring and fall in my area
    i would like to be doing the fall ones next year.
    the sport is the cheapest, but the active has the best battery life and can help with a little bit more customization for workouts.
    i do also teach yoga so it would be nice to track that too. active does that i think
    the sport would really be the bare minimum, active gives me a little room to grow. FR235 seems nice but for the same price i can get more battery life with the active. the FR has more training aspects but i don't know if i'm that technical.

at this point i'm leaning at the active
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member

It'll still track elevation changes with the GPS/satelite signal. I've seen some debate about which is more reliable, but nothing overly conclusive (to me).

Barometer is more reliable than GPS for altitude (and storm warnings). It's not even close.
  • jjpptt2
    edited September 2018
    One last thing...

We are, what, 2 months away from black friday? Garmin typically runs deals around then.

But based on your list, I wouldn't even consider the vivosport. I'd probably go with the vivoactive 3, but I don't really love any of them based on everything you're wanting to do with it. None of them have hiking or trail running activity profiles (though I'm betting you can add it to the vivoactive).
  • jjpptt2

Barometer is more reliable than GPS for altitude (and storm warnings). It's not even close.

Does the magnitude of elevation change matter? i.e. is barometer far superior if elevation change is only 500' vs 5000'?
  • mbaker566
    edited September 2018
    i think i can add it with the active.
    i will probably go in and do some of it manually because i track the shoes too. and the weather and type of trail determines my shoe. even road running my trail shoe is my only waterproof, perfect for snowy and rainy runs

atm, my elevation change for runs specifically geared toward that is between 200 and 600' if that matters to those advising
    (so far :smile: )

as far as black friday. i don't think my smart is going to make it that long. i charged it all night and the battery is half dead already
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited September 2018

So all of my marathons and ultras involve significant elevation. 1200 metres tomorrow.

Barometric elevation Vs geospatial elevation is meaningless. The only reason I can see for barometric elevation is the experimental power estimation for running, but in unconvinced by running power as yet.

Fwiw, given the three devices that you're looking at, you've got entry level and mid range devices. Personally the FR235 is the best of the three but if you're hard over on the barometric then clearly you'll be happier with the entry level device.

In terms of battery life, a 12 hour battery will be fine. The question to ask is whether you can charge it on the fly, rather than worrying about life. Drop bags can contain a power bank!

Essentially your requirement looks like it needs a 635 or a Fenix.

I use a 735XT, which is capable of a 50 miler.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited September 2018
    i've heard good things about the fenix but it's not in the top three as it is way out of my budget @solieco1
    Is the 935 any closer to your budget? It does all the things you're looking for (and more), and is basically the Fenix guts in a polymer (instead of metal) case.
  • mbaker566
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Is the 935 any closer to your budget? It does all the things you're looking for (and more), and is basically the Fenix guts in a polymer (instead of metal) case.

no, the 235 and the active i can get for 250 US dollars and that is the top of my budget.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Seems like you are more advanced in fitness than entry/mid level devices are designed to provide. Is there a chance that you can save up for something that would fit your level (or even beyond)?

Also, have you looked at Suunto?

Many utra marathoner's use them as well as Garmin.
  • mbaker566
    i may be more advanced in fitness but i don't know how advanced my needs are as many of the basic trackers have what i am looking for. my VSHR+ has what i like which is why i've been considering the vivosport. i've been a little spoiled with the touch screen, altimeter, etc

i've heard of Suunto but they just never show up as high as garmin on the lists and i'm already in the garmin world. like i'm already into Canon and it would be weird to switch to Nikon. I don't have a big enough reason yet to make the move

one thing that has been lost is that the active is a touch smaller and i have delicate wrists and i kinda like having them as an all day item. the active is smaller. though the 235 is more functional.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    i may be more advanced in fitness but i don't know how advanced my needs are as many of the basic trackers have what i am looking for. my VSHR+ has what i like which is why i've been considering the vivosport. i've been a little spoiled with the touch screen, altimeter, etc

i've heard of Suunto but they just never show up as high as garmin on the lists and i'm already in the garmin world. like i'm already into Canon and it would be weird to switch to Nikon. I don't have a big enough reason yet to make the move

one thing that has been lost is that the active is a touch smaller and i have delicate wrists and i kinda like having them as an all day item. the active is smaller. though the 235 is more functional.

I have been in the Garmin world since April of 2015, and although I have tried several other devices (including Suunto), I have always come back to Garmin. They are king of the features IMO.

In your case, I would go with the vivoactive 3 then. More features, barometric altimeter, and better GPS battery life.