Calorie needs on super long days (it's 2pm and I don't have many calories left)

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Stating medical conditions would have been useful in your first post OP.
  • sugom2
    sugom2 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Try eating food rather than drinking your calories...eat high protein, low carb in the morning and that should get you through until lunch. Plan on a small healthy snack at 3:00 and that will get you through until dinner time.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options

Why?
  • successgal1
    edited September 2018
    Options
    sugom2 wrote: »
    Try eating food rather than drinking your calories...eat high protein, low carb in the morning and that should get you through until lunch. Plan on a small healthy snack at 3:00 and that will get you through until dinner time.

Dinner time isn't usually until after 7pm. I don't just do liquid, that was one day and atypical. My normal lunch soup is mainly lentils, carrots, squash, onions, herbs in chicken broth, and then I add chicken breast. It's quite hearty. More a stew.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    sugom2 wrote: »

Dinner time isn't usually until after 7pm.

When they're eating at the right calorie amount and choosing the right foods, many people generally feel okay to eat lunch, a snack at 3 PM, and then have dinner after 7 PM. If this is too hard, it's a sign to either tweak what you're eating to feel more satiety or that you just aren't eating enough.

(I'm speaking very generally here, there may be some people who can't make this work even with the "right" macros and calorie target. But it's worth considering since some of the things brought up in this thread are 1) are you choosing the right foods to target your hunger and 2) is your calorie goal high enough.)

For context, I usually eat lunch around 11:30-12 PM, have black coffee and maybe a light snack like air-popped popcorn or a green salad in the afternoon, and then eat dinner around 7-8 PM. I'm usually pretty hungry when I eat dinner, but it's nothing unmanageable or painful.

• successgal1
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I have a female 120lb MFP friend who loses weight when eating 3000Cal a day.

It is NOT just how many calories you eat. it IS the balance between what you eat and what you spend.

Your agitation op has already given the answer: you are currently over restricting and going through the hangriez.

While you may think of yourself as sedentary, your overall daily package doesn't sound like it is.

Driving is actually a MET 2.5 activity. Sitting at a computer is I believe around 1.5 and at the limit of sedentary.

Plus your exercise activity, MFP expects you to **fully eat back** if you keep to your deficit schedule. But you seem to -- going from memory from when I read the thread earlier today -- not be eating back more than an arbitrary 200 or so Calories.

With a history of over restriction going fast is dangerous. A 20% deficit is the maximum you should be aiming for. Which, if you truly are sedentary (thus lower TDEE) means no more than a half pound to a pound a week AT MOST as your goal.

Get yourself a trending weight app or web site.

Eat smarter (apples, boiled eggs, even stupid carrots in a Tupperware container if it comes down to it, and nobody stops you from throwing in a cold meatball, or some salami or some ham, or even cheese -- weighed out the night before. Frankly a bacon and egg McMuffin--no butter--add three times red and three times slivered onions and an extra large coffee with half milk is no more calories than two tiny glucernas).

And then review what you ate to determine if it was worth the calories to you at that time and if a different choice would have been better.

Overall it does sound as if you're overrestricting. Nobody can tell you ahead of time if this is the case or not. You will know in 4 to 6 weeks when you look at your weight trend.

My personal impression is that the risk in your case is in trying to do too much right now as opposed to not doing enough.

So eat sufficiently so that you don't bite the head off people who, flawed or not, are taking the time to try and help you reach your goals and evaluate your results once you've tracked your Caloric intake vs your purported Calories expenditure vs your weight trend over time.

And yes, your Fitbit is an external constant and at the very least a baseline. If it is showing you a higher TDEE than you log even though you don't always wear it...then consider that it ought to be a base level.

I'm not hangry or agitated Nor have I bitten anyones head off, I'm not sure why that is your perception. I thought I added enough smiley faces in my most recent post to show that. I'm actually speaking quite calmly.

I do eat back all of the exercise calories, assuming MFP is correct at calories burn as sent by Fitbit. Around 380 for a 55 minute ride. Sometimes Fitbit sends more after the ride because of heart rate and I'm literally sitting on the couch after having just eaten a nice big post workout dinner when this happens. My heart rate can go up after big meals. So if you're looking at my diary and seeing uneaten calories, that is probably why. There was also a day where I shopped alot and got some step calories.

I like drinking breakfast. We make a kefir smoothie, though I have the kefir logged as milk having never been able to ascertain if the sugar caloiries are still in milk though the lactose was eaten by the kefir...

It's basically just prechewed food, not super liquid like a protein drink. And gives me 4 hours of not hungry so I know is substantial.

My soup is also not liquidy. It's homemade squash and lentil with those things measure before making then split into portions after cooking. I do vary what I eat as much as possible, but I am busy, and a picky eater, so if my meals seem to suffer from sameness, that is why. I was eating these things prior to dieting, the variations that have caused weight gain, besides lack of exercise are alcohol, popcorn with butter, and eating out for dinner or making dinner more caloric.

I've been reading around and haven't been able to figure out what my tdee is on fitbit. I'll go look online and see if I can figure it out. Since I've only paid attention to it when set in workout mode for the most part... I don't pay that much attention to it.

• successgal1
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I agree with @pinuplove If you add 250 calories you are still under maintenance.

Are you logging exercise and eating back your exercise calories? Mfp does not include exercise in your goal. You are meant to add that in and eat those extra calories. TDEE already figures exercise into your goal. Your TDEE should roughly equal your Mfp goal + exercise calories. With mfp you don't add the exercise calories until you do it. With TDEE you average the exercise calories over the week and add them before you do the exercise.

I think I'm confused on this. Because it's my first time using tdee. Yes I do log my exercise you can check my diary. TDE gives me 1700 calories a day to eat if I call myself moderately active, because I work out 3 to 4 days a week. I have mfp set at lightly active, and it gives me 1, 500 calories to eat. In fact I probably overate yesterday, according to TDEE, the 1500 calories that mfp gives me, and my Fitbit charge 2 gave me a little less than 400 calories for my cycling.

The site that is using "days" of working out is even worse then the one using "hours" a week.

Is walking 4 days a week for 30 min the same as biking 4 days a week for 2 hrs each?
    And is a 10 hr desk jockey doing either workout, the same as your work doing the same workout?
    Of course not.

Ya, I'm betting since you called it special training - that's not easy cardio, and your TDEE rough estimate is off by decent amount.

Why are you estimating from 5 rough levels anyway when you have a Fitbit trying to give almost infinite levels?

Even if you want to use the weekly avg TDEE method, and not daily MFP method - you have historical data in Fitbit reports.

Look at a rolling 3-week average of your Fitbit reported weekly calorie burn totals.
    Don't count weeks that are totally off the normal - like sick or massively more active.

There's your avg reported TDEE, take off the 500 for 1 lb weekly, realizing that if 32 lb loss is ending at healthy weight - that last 10 lbs is best at 1/2 lb weekly.

If you don't purposely do it - body is likely to get stressed and adapt and that's what you'll end up anyway, or worse, but with workouts having less transformation.

You keep having good workouts, with good body transformation, it may easily appear you lost the last 5-10 lbs anyway.
    Besides - you going to wear a sign with your weight on it, and goal weight, for all to see you failed to reach it that it would matter anyway?

Ditto to pick a method.

Umm. Thanks for confusing me more? This is why I posted, for help. I didn't call anything "special training" so I'm not sure where that came from. Also, I don't wear my fitbit 24/7, so I can't go by that 100%. I wear it to keep track of my heart rate primarily, since its easy-ish to overdo it when flying around on my bike on the flat (or when racing against impending rain), and I don't want to die sooner then necessary. I try to not go above 155, but sometimes I hit 169, and when I was in lesser shape physically, I scarily hit 188 without even realizing it. I also take off my fitbit when showering, to charge, when working in the yard, when its in danger of becoming filthy or getting banged up. So sometimes I have activity when its not on me.

But generally I consider myself sedentary, its my preferred state. :-D Most days I'm primarily at a desk, or at the most, getting in and out of my car and walking around, lightly. So any "formal" workout, cycling, is my exercise and is over and above my daily state of being.

Do I know if I have my settings right? HECK no. That's why I'm here. Yes I used an online calculator for TDEE, I scoured the internet trying to find out what "moderate" exercise was. And found many answers until I found one that made sense to me. I don't know if its right or not, but it came up with 2200 calories for maintenance so 1700 to lose 1 lb a week with 3-5 actual workouts a week. I haven't yet been on that track long enough to assess if it's correct.

I do like to eat more on days I workout, and sometimes the next day if I feel my body needs it, but also sometimes I can go with 1500 calories in a sedentary day and not feel hungry, and sometimes I use a workout day as a "cheat" day a little so I have have some extra treat.

I just don't know and throwing my hand up in the air right now because there just ISN'T a hard and fast rule for anything it seems (eat less move more is about it), but my personality type is requiring structure and facts.

Moving more is easy to figure out from sedentary, the eat less is the sticky part, besides laying off the alcohol, and not having popcorn almost every night, I'm stuck with HOW MUCH LESS IS LESS? Because I really don't know HOW MUCH WAS TOO MUCH?

Last time I did this I restricted too much I suppose, and I won't get into all the health problems that caused. I gained almost all the weight back. Vegas is just a date goal to keep me motivated. No, I don't give a crap how I look or whatever you think, I just want the weight off. I stalled at 157 last time, got sick and fell off the wagon, ended up with a summer of hardship and fell off even more, and gained 23 lbs back. The old way I did it was simply unsustainable. I want it to be sustainable so its not so easy to fall into the trap of falling off the wagon then saying "$^%#*$ it, I can't think about this right now I have too many other things to do".

147 would be 10lbs heavier then my future goal, so the "last 10lbs" is not a concern for me right now. I'm aware I will have to up my exercise more and perhaps restrict my calories more to get to that point, but can I just get through the first 20 here please? When I made it to 157 I was exercising 5 or more days a week, alternating cycling with light weight and other cardio. It was too much apparently, without enough nutrition, and I ended up with chronic high hamstring problems.

Anyway, right now MFP is giving me 1500 calories a day, and TDEE gives me 1700 calories a day. Both mentally and bodily need, and just logistics-wise, eating 1700 a day even on days I don't work out, just doesn't feel right, 1700 on workout days feels like enough, but like I said I like to have those treat days, so knowing I MAYBE have 200 calories left from the day before, allows that, giving me 1900 to eat on a workout day. It's still FAR more then what I ate before when trying MFP, 1200 on non workout days and 1400 on workout days. Which is where I'm stuck on the "can I really eat more and still lose weight?" mentality and I'm here for guidance from people who have eaten more and lost weight, I suppose!

Why doesn't 1,700 "feel" right?

I ask because I see so many people here think that a certain amount is "too much" for them to lose weight, but that's just because we're told that we have to be really low to lose weight (I thought so too, before I began actually tracking and paying attention to my results).

Exactly for the reasons you said. And that's why I'm here and asking questions.
  • successgal1
    Options

Why?

Why is it useful for people giving you advice to know if you have medical conditions? Really? :huh:

I don't have "medical conditions" that matter for the purpose of my post. High hamstring issues are from overworking without enough nutrition.i already know this and have remedied the situation. There is no way I'm ever going to eat as low calorie as I did before, I use supplements and also eat way more healthily then I did during that period. My question is about TDEE. The most I have to worry about with my hamstrings is to not over do any particular exercise that involves them. Last time I was alternating cycling days with step box every other day, and not eating enough to support it on top of it.. Doing too much that involved that particular part of my body.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Why?

Why is it useful for people giving you advice to know if you have medical conditions? Really? :huh:

I don't have "medical conditions" that matter for the purpose of my post. High hamstring issues are from overworking without enough nutrition.i already know this and have remedied the situation. There is no way I'm ever going to eat as low calorie as I did before, I use supplements and also eat way more healthily then I did during that period. My question is about TDEE. The most I have to worry about with my hamstrings is to not over do any particular exercise that involves them. Last time I was alternating cycling days with step box every other day, and not eating enough to support it on top of it.. Doing too much that involved that particular part of my body.

My comment was based on your heart issues, not hamstrings...
  • successgal1
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    If you like to eat more on days that you workout then you should probably use the mfp method and not the TDEE method. But definitely pick one or the other and don't try to keep mixing them together. If mfp gives you 1500 per day to lose one pound per week and you exercise 4 days per week and burn 350 calories then you will have 3 days where you eat 1500 and 4 days where you eat 1850. That equals 11,900 calories per week. If you use the TDEE calculator and it gives you 1700 calories per day to lose 1 pound per week then that equals 11,900 calories per week. In the real world the numbers won't work out that perfectly, but the difference between the TDEE method and mfp's method is when you add the exercise calories. TDEE averages them over the week so that you eat the same amount every day. Mfp adds them as you do them so some days you eat more and some days you eat less. That works really well for people who have inconsistent exercise routines and maybe don't exercise the same amount of hours each week.

Thank you. That was actually the most helpful post by far, though I know at least one other person said it, but not with the actual numbers in there. I guess my original concern came from the fact that I did not work out yesterday, but was still hungry because of the length of the day, and 1500 calories wasn't going to cut it for hunger purposes. And yes I know it's because I had too much liquid diet also yesterday, but that was because of logistics all of the morning training and being exhausted because I couldn't sleep and because of that I couldn't plan my meal, yada yada yada.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,724 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    If you are seeing an adjustment from Fitbit to mfp this means you have connected the two and you don’t have to worry about your TDEE.

The Fitbit adjustment that you see at the end of the day is an adjustment to equalize MFP to the TDEE that was detected by Fitbit. So even though MFP chooses the word “exercise adjustment” it really is a “Detected TDEE adjustment”.

So in terms of detection of your TDEE We are now left with variation from person to person Versus the population average used by Fitbit, And the fact that you say that you don’t always wear your fitbit therefore it probably under estimates you a bit.

Where that comes out in the wash we will not know until you have more data.

What we do know is that it sure sounds as if you’re having a hard time keeping to your calories with relative ease. And if your deficit Is less than 20% with relatively optimal food choices, then most people would be able, especially in the beginning, to keep to it with relative ease.

Ergo your food choices are not optimal or your deficit is higher than it should be... And you just did indicate that you Believe your food choices to be fairly appropriate.

Just a reminder that weight loss is the result of accumulated deficits overtime And just as with interest, time Is a major factor. One week here or there is only a small difference over the years... In other words “adherence” is a primary consideration Over and above the size of your deficit.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,724 Member
    Options
    Also I note that most weight loss journeys Involve a period of learning what Happens when you make sub optimal choices. I know now, for example, that I over eat substantially when I under sleep. I sort of always knew it but I was never as aware How much of a difference it makes. Every day does not have to be a perfect day and cannot always be a perfect day. If the conditions are not right, yeah, you can call it a maintenance day As opposed to trying to hang in by the skin of your teeth.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you have to try to see what works. MFP is a guideline and it should be used as such. Just because it offers something, doesn't mean it's 100% correct for your body. If 1500 sometimes feels too low, then give yourself a range instead of a set number. Everyday, eat somewhere between 1500 and 1700 calories. At the end of the week, add them all up and get an average number that you ate. You'll use this number later for your data.

Monitor your weight too. See if you are losing, gaining or maintaining and then adjust as needed. If you are losing 2lbs a week, then that average number of calories is about a 1000cal/day deficit for you. If you are losing 1lb a week, then that average number of calories is about a 500cal/day deficit for you. Same goes for gaining, except it's a surplus not a deficit. If you are maintaining, then that is about your maintenance calories. In order to adjust your calories to meet your weight goals, subtract from that average number and create a new range of calories around that average.

This gives you some flexibility and you can see what will work best for you body. Good luck.
  • successgal1
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I have a female 120lb MFP friend who loses weight when eating 3000Cal a day.

It is NOT just how many calories you eat. it IS the balance between what you eat and what you spend.

Your agitation op has already given the answer: you are currently over restricting and going through the hangriez.

While you may think of yourself as sedentary, your overall daily package doesn't sound like it is.

Driving is actually a MET 2.5 activity. Sitting at a computer is I believe around 1.5 and at the limit of sedentary.

Plus your exercise activity, MFP expects you to **fully eat back** if you keep to your deficit schedule. But you seem to -- going from memory from when I read the thread earlier today -- not be eating back more than an arbitrary 200 or so Calories.

With a history of over restriction going fast is dangerous. A 20% deficit is the maximum you should be aiming for. Which, if you truly are sedentary (thus lower TDEE) means no more than a half pound to a pound a week AT MOST as your goal.

Get yourself a trending weight app or web site.

Eat smarter (apples, boiled eggs, even stupid carrots in a Tupperware container if it comes down to it, and nobody stops you from throwing in a cold meatball, or some salami or some ham, or even cheese -- weighed out the night before. Frankly a bacon and egg McMuffin--no butter--add three times red and three times slivered onions and an extra large coffee with half milk is no more calories than two tiny glucernas).

And then review what you ate to determine if it was worth the calories to you at that time and if a different choice would have been better.

Overall it does sound as if you're overrestricting. Nobody can tell you ahead of time if this is the case or not. You will know in 4 to 6 weeks when you look at your weight trend.

My personal impression is that the risk in your case is in trying to do too much right now as opposed to not doing enough.

So eat sufficiently so that you don't bite the head off people who, flawed or not, are taking the time to try and help you reach your goals and evaluate your results once you've tracked your Caloric intake vs your purported Calories expenditure vs your weight trend over time.

And yes, your Fitbit is an external constant and at the very least a baseline. If it is showing you a higher TDEE than you log even though you don't always wear it...then consider that it ought to be a base level.

I'm not hangry or agitated Nor have I bitten anyones head off, I'm not sure why that is your perception. I thought I added enough smiley faces in my most recent post to show that. I'm actually speaking quite calmly.

I do eat back all of the exercise calories, assuming MFP is correct at calories burn as sent by Fitbit. Around 380 for a 55 minute ride. Sometimes Fitbit sends more after the ride because of heart rate and I'm literally sitting on the couch after having just eaten a nice big post workout dinner when this happens. My heart rate can go up after big meals. So if you're looking at my diary and seeing uneaten calories, that is probably why. There was also a day where I shopped alot and got some step calories.

I like drinking breakfast. We make a kefir smoothie, though I have the kefir logged as milk having never been able to ascertain if the sugar caloiries are still in milk though the lactose was eaten by the kefir...

It's basically just prechewed food, not super liquid like a protein drink. And gives me 4 hours of not hungry so I know is substantial.

My soup is also not liquidy. It's homemade squash and lentil with those things measure before making then split into portions after cooking. I do vary what I eat as much as possible, but I am busy, and a picky eater, so if my meals seem to suffer from sameness, that is why. I was eating these things prior to dieting, the variations that have caused weight gain, besides lack of exercise are alcohol, popcorn with butter, and eating out for dinner or making dinner more caloric.

I've been reading around and haven't been able to figure out what my tdee is on fitbit. I'll go look online and see if I can figure it out. Since I've only paid attention to it when set in workout mode for the most part... I don't pay that much attention to it.

Fitbit doesn't send workout calories to MFP to display.
    Fitbit sends total calories burned up to that point in the day.
    MFP does the math for estimated rest of the day, plus what Fitbit sent.

So that is not workout calories, merely the difference.

The special training I thought was in reference to workouts - must have been reference to work.

Anyway - why don't you go look at your Fitbit stats in Fitbit account right now - and get what the average daily burn is over a big chunk of time.

Put an end to this confusion.

Well, that adds information I did not know. I guess thats why my fitbit says I burned a whole bunch but it reflects about 200 calories less when it gets to MFP.

I don't have a big chunk of time yet, I just restarted all this about a week and a half ago. But, after I poked around on the fitbit site, I found that it still was set at my old, more aggressive, weight loss goal, and was only giving me about 1340 calories to eat. I switched it to a 1lb a week weight loss, and it readjusted my eatable calories upward. For the past week it says I burned 15,832 calories. Divided by 7 I get an average of 2261 calories burned per day on average. I hope I'm looking at the right stats. I haven't done anything else this week that is outside normal activity with workouts. No gardening or anything like that. Though fitbit gave me step and calorie adds apparently just for walking around the yard, picking up 2 avocados that fell off the tree, then pulling a few weeds from around my pumpkin vines. I think its overgiving and that my fat stomach is causing my heart rate to go up when I bend over to pull weeds, and that, along with the 95 degree weather, is showing as some sort of more intense activity.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You are doing the math right.

You can tell if Fitbit is slipping into workout mode and incorrectly using HR-based calorie burn for daily activities.

You can look at daily graph per 5 & 15 min and see where HR spikes, and matching graph to see if calories spiked too.

Usually Fitbit has to see elevated for 5-10 min to decide you are working out, than it like back-tracks to start of that time to start a workout activity.

Shot's of elevated don't do that, still step based.
  • successgal1
    Options
    You are doing the math right.

You can tell if Fitbit is slipping into workout mode and incorrectly using HR-based calorie burn for daily activities.

You can look at daily graph per 5 & 15 min and see where HR spikes, and matching graph to see if calories spiked too.

Usually Fitbit has to see elevated for 5-10 min to decide you are working out, than it like back-tracks to start of that time to start a workout activity.

Shot's of elevated don't do that, still step based.

"You are doing the math right." is literally something never said to me before in my life, unless its in a surprised tone. :-)

Thanks for your help, I need to explore the desktop version of fitbit more, and disregard things like clapping when it thinks I'm stepping.