Logging question

Options
[/i]i got my 1st kitchen scale but now I'm not sure how to log what something weighs. For example, the eggs I use are 50g=70cals but when weighed one was 57g. How do I log this?

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    You divide the weighed amount by the serving size. 57g/50g = 1.14 servings
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

Or this :lol:
  • kami3006
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    kami3006 wrote: »

Or this :lol:

Indeed, they all work. :D
  • 1Kristana
    1Kristana Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, what a good pile of posting at the same time, with the same advice.

Cheers, h.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,943 Member
    Options
    But don't forget that the USDA food values are almost always for the "edible portion". So the shell doesn't count! ;-)
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    I gotta admit, i don't weigh my eggs :open_mouth:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Or, look in the drop down for 100g per serving, and enter 0.57.

You could look for 0.1g and enter 57g, but using the 0.1g serving option sometimes misses or misscalculates the nutrients.

Cheers, h.

surely 1g, not 0.1g?
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »

Me neither, the weighing vessel is another thing to wash up and I am not about doing extra dishes! I go through 14-16 eggs a week (about 1000+kcal in eggs alone yikes!) so maybe I should since +/- 20% of that is actually p substantial but honestly life is too short. I pick my battles.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    smolmaus wrote: »

Me neither, the weighing vessel is another thing to wash up and I am not about doing extra dishes! I go through 14-16 eggs a week (about 1000+kcal in eggs alone yikes!) so maybe I should since +/- 20% of that is actually p substantial but honestly life is too short. I pick my battles.

Use the bowl/plate/pan/etc as your weighing vessel (taring it first so it shows 0) and now you have no excuse. :p
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

41 pounds lost and I've never weighed an egg. On the other end of the spectrum, I've heard of people separating the white and yolk to weigh them individually. I've always figured those people have much loftier goals than I have :lol:
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I only weigh my eggs if making a large batch of scrambled eggs for the family. Otherwise I've found the eggs to be pretty close and will just use the 70 cal/egg if making fried eggs for myself.
  • kami3006
    Options
    I think someone just starting with a scale should weigh everything for a while to get a good feel for what foods vary the most. The more stable ones then can be weeded out over time.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I would put a bowl on the scale, zero it and then crack the egg into the bowl to see about how many grams it is. But I'd only do that the first time and just keep using that as my measure.

But I really don't like eggs so I'm not one to talk.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

Use the bowl/plate/pan/etc as your weighing vessel (taring it first so it shows 0) and now you have no excuse. :p

For eggs, that's fairly impractical. I'm not going to put raw eggs into the bowl or plate I'm going to eat out of, and since I want to heat the pan before adding the eggs, carrying a hot skillet across the kitchen to the scale so I can break the eggs into it is a dangerous practice.

I don't normally weigh eggs sold by size (medium, large, jumbo), since the variation within those categories is small and should balance out over time. But if I buy them from a farmer's market or farmstand, or I buy duck's eggs, there often is a greater variation in size. Then, I weigh them in the shell, do whatever I normally would do with the egg, and weigh the shell after.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

For eggs, that's fairly impractical. I'm not going to put raw eggs into the bowl or plate I'm going to eat out of, and since I want to heat the pan before adding the eggs, carrying a hot skillet across the kitchen to the scale so I can break the eggs into it is a dangerous practice.

I don't normally weigh eggs sold by size (medium, large, jumbo), since the variation within those categories is small and should balance out over time. But if I buy them from a farmer's market or farmstand, or I buy duck's eggs, there often is a greater variation in size. Then, I weigh them in the shell, do whatever I normally would do with the egg, and weigh the shell after.

LOL good point. I don't weigh my eggs either but I always just buy them from a supermarket and don't worry if an extra large egg or two makes it into the carton of large eggs.