Do I need to gain or loose weight ?

Options
I personally came on here to loose a few pounds.

I weigh 103lb, and am 5'1. Everyone on the forum's have been saying I should see a doctor because they believe I have an eating disorder.

In some way I feel a bit victimized because i'm not above a certain weight. Do you reckon I should stick to my goal or do you agree with others ? Thanks :)

Replies

• kae_blah
    kae_blah Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor for personalised advice. They may want to check other health markers other than weight.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Didn't you just start this one already...you're 17...oh wait 20, because auto correct messed with your age...

GO SEE A DOCTOR. Don't just start a new thread because you don't like what you are reading and you only want to hear what you want to hear, which is not what may be helpful.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Sweetie, you have more issues than what a calorie counting website can help you with - go see a professional and get help....
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Sweetie, you have more issues than what a calorie counting website can help you with - go see a professional and get help....

DING DING DING! We have a winner.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Agreed on the doctor bit. If you weigh 103 pounds and you don't know whether you need to gain, lose, or stay the same weight wise, the only person who can accurately answer that for you is your doctor.

What I'm trying to say is that any information in this thread to the contrary is incorrect. So stop reading this thread, and ask your question to your doctor. Nothing else will be accurate or helpful.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I think you should listen to the advice you received when you posted this the first time as a 17 year old....no wait.....20 years old.....either way....go back to that thread and that section.

ETA: or sparkteens, speak to your parents, and a medical professional as originally suggested.......
  • hyenagirl
    hyenagirl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    At 5'1" currently at 103 and you want to lose 4 lbs. At 99 lbs for your height you would still be at a BMI "healthy weight". No, this doesn't mean you have an ED. There's a list of criteria in order to be diagnosed with an ED. Lots of people on here get irate when they see an already "skinny" person trying to lose weight. There's also the attitude that you're applauded for being a few lbs overweight, but heaven forbid you are a couple pounds underweight.

The choice to gain, lose or maintain weight is up to you.
  • hyenagirl
    hyenagirl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I did read their posts. They want to lose a bit of fat on their stomach. They are exercising a bit and eating at a deficit. They didn't give any suggestions that they were fixated on 800-1000 calories a day, other than saying this was the range they ate. They are also 5'1" and at an already decent weight. Weight loss when you are at this point is a slow process. You're golden if you can lose 2 lbs a month. They could be retaining water if they are working hard. I retain about a gallon (8 lbs) of water when my muscles are sore.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    None of us are irate because she's skinny and wants to lose weight. Jeez, make stuff up much?

She is 17 and needs to just at least talk to her parents or her doctor. The doctor especially would be the best one to consult on what she needs to do and also if 800-1000 calories is actually enough. A doctor is WAY more qualified to help in answering her question than any one is. Especially you.